DSLR for beginner ?

Get your daughter to read all the responses to your thread and ask her what she thinks is good for her.

If she lost interest going through the thread but still want to have a camera, a A230 or D3000 is likely the one for her. She can enjoy the hobby with these camera.

If she has the patience to read all the reply and show her commitment, I will recommend a D90.

As a responsible father, I believe you want to help in her learning in photography and at the same time not to overspent, right?

Using a similar camera system as the school club will certainly help lot in both. Getting a 2nd hand body may be good. Encourage her to do research, join CS :), check prices, etc. This will help her in her understanding of photography as well.

Not forgetting, your daughter may want to get other accessories that need not use the school club's e.g. her own camera bag, strap etc.

Also check how active is the photography club in the JC ie. besides school events, do they have outings, field trips and even participate in competitions, etc. The level of activity in the club will indicate whether is it really worth investing in the camera.

My 2-cents worth.

You are good! :thumbsup:
It is also a good opportunity to bond with ur daughter.

Most of the pertinent points have been mentioned by everyone.

Ultimately, it is your decision that makes the difference.
People can only recommend you, you know what suits you or her best.
What suits someone may not suit you or me...

Anyway, enjoy snapping away...

Hmm I think your Daugther will probably like whatever you buy for her , as she knows , you will always give her the best to your abilities ?

Plus , like what most people said , its quite hard to go wrong with most DSLR , for non professional users . Just need to work around the limitations for each camera , which happens all the time in real life =)

don't forget to get a Dry cabinet for your expensive DSLR.
Happy hunting.
cheers

You are a good father. My dad wouldn't wanna buy me a DSLR... I'm sticking to my 63' Olympus Trip RF.... sianz...

good advice zac08.

iamatyc, i would not be too bothered by people slamming certain models over preference for their own models. D90 is pretty capable, and intuitive, and will definitely fulfill her hobby and grow from there.

ryan

Yup, TS should also not be too bothered by the seniors' recommendation too.

You are a good father. My dad wouldn't wanna buy me a DSLR... I'm sticking to my 63' Olympus Trip RF.... sianz...

Haha , I think your Dad wants you to experience the feeling of gettig one on your own , like my Dad too . Cheers

Haha, you beat me to the same point! My kid also started guitar lessons and loves badminton. He's already using my racket (yes, the more expensive one) and learning how to wield it well and taking care not to scratch it during his lessons. As for the guitar, I'm still hunting for a good one so that he can practice it whenever he feels the mood. I'm not well-off, but I definitely won't go really cheap on the guitar as I feel he is keen in it. As such I keep my eyes opened for a good one that will suit his level well, one that will stay with him for a long time.

I know the above are off topic, but when you know they are keen, it's really the same thing. You'll want the best for them, but of course within your means nevertheless.
I am a father myself... I have that mentality.. inherited from my father when he got me a decent intermediate Acoustic Guitar from Yamaha 20yrs ago when I wanted to pick it up. hehe... ok, off topic.. but basically, we want the best for our kids. You are a good father yourself. :)

the reason why i recommend 1D mkiii is cos user elton feels that using an entry level dslr will make ts's daughter lose face, thus i suggested if such things is important, then the 1D would be a good choice, cos it'll give u MUCH MUCH more face than a D90 can. Lol

Bro, I am not saying entry level will make people lose face... i started with a D5000 also... its really the person behind the cam that makes a difference. That I totally agree also. But which woman wants anything less than a LV? Not saying entry level no good, but if can afford, get a better one lor... I agree with another Bro, sometimes its hard to get clearance from finance minister... so since have a additional reason now, might as well get a better one if money is not an issue? ;)

a hearty 2 thumbs up to you!

My thoughts, ask your daughter to use the school's equipment first to see what she likes and go and try out various models at shops.

Hello, i started with a D80, D90's older brother, most of the D90 is based on the D80. Well, D80 was my first camera when i started out about 2 years ago.

Cost me $1600. A few questions to ask yourself here, whether your daughter intends to do this wholeheartedly or is this just a 2 year JC CCA only. If it's for her passion, i don't mind telling you to go with the D90. However, the prices for DSLR drops quite rapidly. My current D80 second sells for roughly 1/3 the price which i bought it first hand.

my 2 cents

I am a father myself... I have that mentality.. inherited from my father when he got me a decent intermediate Acoustic Guitar from Yamaha 20yrs ago when I wanted to pick it up. hehe... ok, off topic.. but basically, we want the best for our kids. You are a good father yourself. :)

Well, just don't be like the father in the first "TRANSFORMER" movie...drove his son into the PORSCHE retail outlet when looking for a car for his kid who has just gotten his license... (if you've watched the movie you'll know what I mean)... That's like giving your kid a punch below the waist line! :bsmilie:

Of course, we TRY to do our best as parents (if our means permits that is). Don't need to go overboard and mortgage your home or life away while doing it, for goodness sake it is only a hobby / CCA!!!... Can't say the same thing about education though (each person to his/her own).

At the moment with so many advices, pros and cons provided, suggestions, etc. I would think it would be either easier to make a decision now or the mind too confused to be of any use... But as a parent of your child, I'll suggest that you use your father instincts. Treat it as a good time to get to know your daughter well, her interests and thoughts, etc. And also listen to her views as well, she might have the right perception or not. You'll know whether she is thinking too impulsively or already a cool-headed wise kid. You might need to guide her views if she's not on the right path of thought - convince her rather than "there, this is what I want you to have and no questions about it!" This is the age of reasoning, not brute force brain washing.

Whether you'll purchase the right DSLR kit for her, it will always be a gamble. Time will tell if you've done the right thing. Life is after all, a ride on the proverbial rollercoaster, it is also about experiencing it all, doing right or wrong and adjustments made along the way so that the ride gets smoother. No right or wrong answers, just follow your heart. Boy, what can I say? I'm a cliche kind of guy....:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the advices and suggestions, especially from the Club of Daddies.

I once did have the interest to take up Photography as a hobby. My first camera was the Kodak Instamatic, which my father gave me when I was 12. But, my family could not afford me taking up this hobby further due to the expensive camera +lens +films +chemicals +dark room rentals... then my budding interest dries off.

I agree with forumer Anhur's advice... she is a yound adult now and I should not get her what I like, but involve her in the decision process.

I have made an appointment with my daughter this weekend to go to the shops to look for a suitable camera of her choice together.
Thanks to Photography that I am able to snatch that little bit of time from her busy JC schedules for a father-and-daughter advanture to hunt for a camera.

I will update you guys our encounters, and how big the hole in my pocket after that.. imagine...camera, then +lens, then +dry cabinet, then +computer, then +photoshop, then +good photo printers + .... :sweatsm:

Have a nice weekend to all of you, my friends.

Haha , I think your Dad wants you to experience the feeling of gettig one on your own , like my Dad too . Cheers

yap.. in my opinion, we will cherish more than others if we work hard for the things we want...

yap.. in my opinion, we will cherish more than others if we work hard for the things we want...

I agree on that point. However, there are parents who might not want their kids to get totally distracted by working too hard towards an expensive interest/hobby at the expense of other more important needs (eg. education, book reading interest, etc). Also, some children may have more than one interest (other than photography).

Not to worry, somewhere along the path of growing up children will be expose to such situations where they would have to learn to earn their keeps (plenty of opportunities to come).

At the moment, if you ask TC's daughter to work part-time and start saving on her own, it might be long over her JC days, not to mention getting distracted working part-time when she could be focusing on other more academic activities that might assist her better when she gets into tertiary education? Yes, if you're really interested in Photography, it doesn't really matter as it is a long term affair, even if you're out of JC... But the learning opportunity may be gone by then when you transition into Varsity days, the free time gets lesser and lesser and you may have to forgo the time required for the hobby in favour of higher learning...

Last edited:
I agree on that point. However, there are parents who might not want their kids to get totally distracted by working too hard towards an expensive interest/hobby at the expense of other more important needs (eg. education, book reading interest, etc). Also, some children may have more than one interest (other than photography).

Not to worry, somewhere along the path of growing up children will be expose to such situations where they would have to learn to earn their keeps (plenty of opportunities to come).

At the moment, if you ask TC's daughter to work part-time and start saving on her own, it might be long over her JC days, not to mention getting distracted working part-time when she could be focusing on other more academic activities that might assist her better when she gets into tertiary education? Yes, if you're really interested in Photography, it doesn't really matter as it is a long term affair, even if you're out of JC... But the learning opportunity may be gone by then when you transition into Varsity days, the free time gets lesser and lesser and you may have to forgo the time required for the hobby in favour of higher learning...

haha:) well said. I agree with you too.
but as what TS's said, his daughter just joined a photography club in JC. So, its definite yes that she is interested in photography.

haha:) well said. I agree with you too.
but as what TS's said, his daughter just joined a photography club in JC. So, its definite yes that she is interested in photography.

Not necessarily. There are many people who join the photography club because they perceive it to be a slack CCA. (it really is if you don't cover any events or do much...which is sad) Not everyone who joins the photography club in their school is truly interested in photography.