dslr for a kid????

I saw a 10 yr old on Saturday with his father at Sungei Buloh rocking a 5d2 + 70-200 f2.8II. He was carrying it properly (obviously he had a better strap than Canon's neckbreaker) and shooting photos like a pro.

As I have come to believe. If your child is interested in something, don't cheap out. Get him the best of what you can afford and cultivate a culture of photography together. Your child will pick up the seriousness and love for the hobby that way and will be less likely to treat it as a fun diversion.

If you are not serious, he will not be serious.

And also, never assume that your child will be unable to understand how to make something work, because if you are already more technologically inclined than your parents, you can imagine your child would be even more so than you.
You got see the kids photo meh? Look like shooting like a pro, and shooting like a pro big difference lah..

allenleonhart said:
You got see the kids photo meh? Look like shooting like a pro, and shooting like a pro big difference lah..

Such unhealthy jealousy. Tsk tsk :D

G-man said:

I don't believe getting kids the best, high end gear will have any effect on their progress with photography.

They can learn manual functions even with the most basic of dslrs.

Empowering them with more functions will only make them take the shorter routes to learning instead of making them learn the hard way.

But just my way of thinking on how kids should learn. heh.

:bsmilie:

Ha ha kid when younger has been using the expansive gear and after know how to used and need Leica M body with f0.9 lens.

From parent is rich can be support them,
if just the normal and better think & think 1st.

May sound abit harsh. But kids are kids... definitely will not give them too expensive or too good items. As they grow up..their interest changes too. Rapidly..
and by providing and support them with very expensive n great stuff. might not be the best way..as they might think..great things come easily. Then as time goes by they will not work hard n they will ask for more again n again.

What makes you guys think the camera the kid has was not earned through working hard at school or doing odd jobs? I used to wash my father's car for extra pocket money when I was a kid. Certainly taught me the value of hard work and money.

And perhaps the kid was using a 2nd hand camera passed down by the father. Perhaps the child has demonstrated an ability to be responsible with the gear. There are many probabilities so by second guessing and making patronising remarks about a kid's ability to sustain an interest only reeks of unhealthy jealousy.

If they can afford to, more power to them. I learnt photography through a manual camera. Would I want my son to learn by that route too? Sure, but if it takes a digital method to interest him, I have no issues going that route.

Children find their own way around their interests. Our duties are to nurture, cultivate and encourage interests that are beneficial. Not impose our opinions on them.

My kids (3 and 6 years old) like to play around with my X100 and OM-D's touchscreen autofocus. Sure lah, my heart skips a bit whenever I see them almost dropping the cameras, but if they're having fun with them, why not? Just let them gather interest through play. I set them to auto beforehand and let them go to town with the cameras. When I see them showing more interest to learn more I will proceed from there.

BTW re: the kid with the 5D.... why are you guys assuming the camera is his?

Last edited:
What's a good age to start the child on a photography journey?

What makes you guys think the camera the kid has was not earned through working hard at school or doing odd jobs? I used to wash my father's car for extra pocket money when I was a kid. Certainly taught me the value of hard work and money.

And perhaps the kid was using a 2nd hand camera passed down by the father. Perhaps the child has demonstrated an ability to be responsible with the gear. There are many probabilities so by second guessing and making patronising remarks about a kid's ability to sustain an interest only reeks of unhealthy jealousy.

If they can afford to, more power to them. I learnt photography through a manual camera. Would I want my son to learn by that route too? Sure, but if it takes a digital method to interest him, I have no issues going that route.

Children find their own way around their interests. Our duties are to nurture, cultivate and encourage interests that are beneficial. Not impose our opinions on them.
what unhealthy jealousy? i'm just stating a fact. i know of people who shoot, with 5dmk3s, adults. they look like rambo, act like hero. take photo, machiam like potato... wondering why image always black and never realise lens cap on...

i know of many folks, who shoot well, regardless of gear. just stating that skills and equipment have no correlation in general...

fyi, i started out with an x100s minolta. wasn't an issue also what. just trying to say, don't be so quick to judge. look like pro, not equal to pro.

and this was in relation to the post, whom the poster claimed

As I have come to believe. If your child is interested in something, don't cheap out. Get him the best of what you can afford and cultivate a culture of photography together. Your child will pick up the seriousness and love for the hobby that way and will be less likely to treat it as a fun diversion.

If you are not serious, he will not be serious.

really. equipments don't matter that much. especially when dslrs all now kinda the same already. how much best is your best? sometimes, starting with cheap, is good. what if kid's passion dies halfway? if it sustains, kid himself will find a way to get money for gears.

at least, after the initial investment by parents, i managed to pay myself and upgrade my way up from a 450d, to quite a respectable list of pentax equipments.

let the kid develop himself. its more satisfying on his end also.

Last edited:

as young as possible. i was thrown to swim by school, p1. back then my era, digital cameras ran on diskettes. one diskette can shoot about 24 shots i think. equipments was loaned to us from school. didnt get to use it often though.

Last edited:
allenleonhart said:
what unhealthy jealousy? i'm just stating a fact. i know of people who shoot, with 5dmk3s, adults. they look like rambo, act like hero. take photo, machiam like potato... wondering why image always black and never realise lens cap on...

i know of many folks, who shoot well, regardless of gear. just stating that skills and equipment have no correlation in general...

fyi, i started out with an x100s minolta. wasn't an issue also what. just trying to say, don't be so quick to judge. look like pro, not equal to pro.

and this was in relation to the post, whom the poster claimed

really. equipments don't matter that much. especially when dslrs all now kinda the same already. how much best is your best? sometimes, starting with cheap, is good. what if kid's passion dies halfway? if it sustains, kid himself will find a way to get money for gears.

at least, after the initial investment by parents, i managed to pay myself and upgrade my way up from a 450d, to quite a respectable list of pentax equipments.

let the kid develop himself. its more satisfying on his end also.

My first post was a joke as denoted by the smilie. I am sorry if you feel offended by that.

My 2nd post wasn't referring to you per se. It is in reference to all those who have thought it's a good idea to judge the kid and his gear.

Again I am sorry if you felt offended by that.

My first post was a joke as denoted by the smilie. I am sorry if you feel offended by that.

My 2nd post wasn't referring to you per se. It is in reference to all those who have thought it's a good idea to judge the kid and his gear.

Again I am sorry if you felt offended by that.
nono not offended haha... just wanna clarify. a bit defensive because i fall into the category of "no money, work as construction worker to buy lens" group of kids...

if i had kids, i would give them a film camera. it teaches them how to compose and tink abt their shots before pressing the shutter button.

people r too into digital tht they go spamming their camera and tinking they can delete ltr or crop in computer.

GhostAccord said:

Prolly 4 I'd say, well that's when my daughter took it up anyway. I deleted all apps on my old iPhone 3GS and she begun shooting with that, she later moved on to using an old film SLR with autofocus. Shooting with film made her think more before making the frame, and I'm always amazed by what I see. She did a presentation to the class in school earlier this yr about the first roll she shot.

They can use any camera, for that age old mobile phones would be great but make sure that they don't use it to play games and such. I bough a $30 digital PNS at the BNS section for my 3yr old, she haven't shown much interest in photography but enjoys taking photos anyway.

Kids don't need the latest expensive gear IMHO, my daughter's Minolta cost USD$45 on eBay. But there's nothing wrong if parents can afford expensive gears too. But I prefer to teach them using the min.

C362E17C-D64A-499B-8323-A4E1F861CA51-2743-000001C338BE5B79.jpg

Taken by my daughter. I only did the BW conversion and burning of the edges

if i had kids, i would give them a film camera. it teaches them how to compose and tink abt their shots before pressing the shutter button.

The idea of spamming shots and being able to delete is precisely the beauty of digital. If I learned photography the 'film' way, I would have given up a long time ago :D. In fact, I didn't even start.

When I started digital, I used scene modes, then P mode, then Av mode. Now I'm exploring M mode. I even bought a film camera. Being able to get good shots easily is precisely why I got hooked and pushed me to find out more about photography.

I'd say whenever they start getting curious. My daughter is 3 yrs old and she likes playing around with my camera. I just set it to auto and let her shoot whatever she wants. 99% of the shots are out of focus but who cares? Can delete! :D

What's most important for me right now is if she continues to like doing it as she grows older...