DSLR advice for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like to echo what the other CSers said; it does not matter whether is it canon and nikon, it is the user behind the camera that counts.

So just go to the shop and try for yourself and see which camera you are comfortable with and within your budget.

Hi,
I am also new to SLR / DSLR and opted for the EOS 400d. I bought it in the UK with the standard kit lens EFS 18-55mm (cheaper than body only there!).

I now have a used EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM for a travel weight zoom the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for landscape and just got a used Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM.
You'll also need a decent tripod, I found out the hard way that buying cheap means buying often! unless you opt for used gear -which to me this is definitely the way to go, especially on the lenses.

It's right tho BBB - B careful!

I am very happy with my set-up and have am really beginning to enjoy my photography. Best of luck with your purchases and look forward to seeing some of your photo's on the boards!

No doubt. 40D is the best among all the 3 cameras you mentioned. Live view, 6.5 fps, better high iso performance etc...

For lens, no single lens can satisfy your needs. Better get at least 2 lens. My recommendation will be tamron 17-50 F2.8 and sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. This combo will cost you about 1k. This combo is far more capable than 800 bucks 17-85 IS if you don't mind changing lens. You may add 50 1.8 for just a 120 bucks more.

For flash 430EX will be good choice. Cost around 450 for brand new.

Tripod, Slik DX series. 330 DX will satisfy most newbies. cost about 130+. Comes with pan head and very light at 1 kg+.

Don't forget, you need dry cabinet. Electronic dry cabinet 30 litres size. Cost about 100.

All the above will cost around 3.5k. Don't forget the BBB virus of SLR photography, especially for lens... It will cost you much mcuh more..........:cry:

If you are a hard core learner, just get a 2nd hand 350D and kit lens. Learn as much as you can from it and upgrade later. This will cost you around 700. :):)

Hehe... let me suggest a Nikon combo here... mostly 2nd hand stuff ;)

1. Nikon D70s body only - approx $700
2. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - approx $680 brand new
3. Nikkor AF 35-70 f/2.8D - approx $550 (someone selling one now - fantastic lens)
4. Nikkor AF 80-200 f/2.8D (one touch) - approx $700 (another great lens)
5. Home made dry box of Lock&Lock box + wireless dehumidifier - approx $35 brand new
6. Nikon SB-600 flash - approx $300
7. Nikon 1200 tripod - approx $40
8. Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400AW - approx $145 brand new

Total estimate cost = $3150.00

You can pick and choose what you want to get first (I suggest items 1 + 2) and add on the rest as your need builds.

Thanks Geraldkhoo, dreamer_toons, hobby, kezumix, mtunlinn and everyone for your kind advice.

Really appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

I will think long and hard about what I want, do more research, try out the various cams before getting a DSLR. Mostly, save a lot..haha..:)

1 thing to add, u are choosing a camera system, not just brand only.
i choose camera base on the type of lenes i need, not on brand.
if one brand have the range that i need, then just go with that brand.

Here is my view, I think canon have very good lens and are very expensive compare to nikon lens.
Nikon body are price higher usually as vs canon, maybe due to build.
I use nikon cos I like the colour and camera feel of nikon, and can use 3rd party len to produce good picture if you want.
As for canon I heard from friend the colour is very nice if you are using the L lens-very ex but when using 3rd party len the colour is not as nice.
Canon have more lens range but Nikon got better flash.

I would like to say a big thanks to everyone in this thread who have helped me.:)

I have finally decided and bought a Canon 40D with 17-85mm kit len.

Here is my view, I think canon have very good lens and are very expensive compare to nikon lens.
Nikon body are price higher usually as vs canon, maybe due to build.
I use nikon cos I like the colour and camera feel of nikon, and can use 3rd party len to produce good picture if you want.
As for canon I heard from friend the colour is very nice if you are using the L lens-very ex but when using 3rd party len the colour is not as nice.
Canon have more lens range but Nikon got better flash.

I am very surprised you never say Nikon's got better optics... :think:

I am very surprised you never say Nikon's got better optics... :think:

i am surpise noone say Leica!!!!!!!! lol....
Xpan!!!!!!

back to TS, it is a great cam you got there and now just go shoot and post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.