Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

aanandappa

Jul 31, 2008
Hi.

I have been using DIGI CAB AD-040 at 30%RH-40%RH. However from reacently the RH is dropping below 50%. Any ideas?

Allan.

Hi.

I have been using DIGI CAB AD-040 at 30%RH-40%RH. However from reacently the RH is dropping below 50%. Any ideas?

Allan.

I'm using DB-036 which is also catergorise under the AD series... from wat i know it take time to stable at the %RH u wan... and take freaking long... and it too so long... by the time it stable, i took out my camera for photoshoot and put it back, its unstable again... quite irritating one... have to keep looking out at the %RH value...

anyway, i think ur question abit strange... u set at 30%-40%... and ur RH is dropping below 50%, isn't it good?,,, coz its moving toward ur desired 30%-40%

Your RH setting is too low, might result in some damages (rubber, lube). 45-50% is recommended (see manual of your dry cabinet).
Have you checked that the door is properly closing? If RH doesn't reach outside levels (70-80%) then the dehumidifier still works outside humidity somehow sneaks in. Alternatively you can get a second RH meter to verify the readings.
Don't worry too much about the times that it needs to reach target humidity. It will always need a few hours, depending on volume of the dry cabinet and amount of humidity brought in with the equipment. A neck strap can carry a lot and many people recommend to remove it anyway before putting the cam into the cabinet.
Camera equipment is meant for usage outside and can stand much more than what we think ;)

among all the 3 series that digicabi have, which series would you guys recommend?

i recommend DHC series... seriously i won't mind paying more

The funny thing is that my digicabi consistently shows 30+ percent even at minimum setting. I think it is cos my room always on aircon so too dry?

Wah.... your power bill :bigeyes:, friend...

The funny thing is that my digicabi consistently shows 30+ percent even at minimum setting. I think it is cos my room always on aircon so too dry?

No lah, its not on 24 hours, but usually from 9pm to 3am?

However, windows are usually closed so the dry air tends to stay around.

same as me lor..:bsmilie:
but my %RH will go up to 80% once open my dry cabinet.
Perhaps, maybe my room has toilet...

No lah, its not on 24 hours, but usually from 9pm to 3am?

However, windows are usually closed so the dry air tends to stay around.

Last edited:
My room has toilet too, but I don't get that, maybe my RH is spoilt :p

Then again, my independent meter also says low RH.

My room has toilet too, but I don't get that, maybe my RH is spoilt :p

Then again, my independent meter also says low RH.

Switch off the dry cabinet, leave the door open and just check the RH reading. If it stays within 45-50% due to your room aircon you don't need the dehumidifying unit in dry cabinet.

I was thinking the same thing myself kekeke :p

The only problem is i sense that the RH varies - when I'm home, the aircon is on, so it looks low. When I'm out, the aircon is off, and I have no idea what the RH is, especially in the hot afternoon.

Like Octarine mentioned, that figure is too low and you risk damage to rubber and drying lubricant.

For Nikon, I iirc the recommended period for storing is below 60 will do. And storing means if you are not going to use it for a few months.

Fungus don't grow overnight :bsmilie:

Anyway, the control knob is sort of a rheostat only and is not a climate control. So it will fluctuate relatively to ambience changes. So it will fluctuate. I've got both the 30 liter and the 70 liter one and the 30 liter both also fluctuate between 50~60.

Everybody,

Thanks for your advise. The problem was with the rheostat, I moved it around and it came back to the setting. However. I have taken your advise and taken the RH upto 45 to 50RH.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.