Dry boxes necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomant669

Sep 30, 2008
I store my camera in my cabinet in my air conditioned room during the night but I off the air condition when I go out during the day. Do I need a dry box still?

I'd say the humidity level in my room is pretty low other than these few days when it's really hot and my air conditioner is down I can feel the humidity level.

So how necessary is a dry box for my situation?

hmm i would think ur changin humidity is actually bad esp if condensation occurs.. do a search on the forum i started a thread talkin about options for dry box

Singapore? It's generally pretty humid here. Your camera system will probably last quite long without the cabinet but I doubt it's advisable. You can periodically expose it to sunlight (prevents growth of mould) but I'd much rather invest in a dry cabinet and have a peace of mind.

Say how long does it take for a camera to develop mould mainly in room conditions? I have quite a few sony cybershots that I leave lying around in the house for the past 8 years but they haven't had any moulds in them. Does this apply to dslr's too?

By dad's 35mm slr for the past 20 years never had any mould in them. Do I still need a dry box?

We live in the east side of singapore if it makes a difference

Say how long does it take for a camera to develop mould mainly in room conditions? I have quite a few sony cybershots that I leave lying around in the house for the past 8 years but they haven't had any moulds in them. Does this apply to dslr's too?

By dad's 35mm slr for the past 20 years never had any mould in them. Do I still need a dry box?

were these cameras used when you say "lying around"? Things that are regularly used don't usually get mold.

If you reckon that your cameras and lenses wouldn't have mould, no you don't need one. But if mould does grow, sad for you!

Getting a dry box not only prevents mold from forming, it also gives you a peace of mind. And it will probably help for your future buyers(of your cams) to know that you've been keeping them in a well-conditioned place instead of lying around.

but well.. i guess you sound rather set on not getting one for yourself, so I guess you shouldn't.

If you reckon that your cameras and lenses wouldn't have mould, no you don't need one. But if mould does grow, sad for you!

are the lenses and cameras serviceable when there is mold in it?

are the lenses and cameras serviceable when there is mold in it?

Sure, they are. But the costs per lens or per camera are close to the price tag of a decent dry cabinet (60 liters). Secondly, fungus eats into the coating of lenses. Once the coating is affected the price tag climbs up .. or the lens is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.