.dreaming of Myanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT abit .. May I ask how was the overall feel in Myanmar? Thinking of going there in the next 1-2yrs. hehe

Myanmar? I can't tell you much since I haven't stayed long enough to give a comment. What I can say, from a tourist/travellers' point of view is that, the country is safe (also in terms of walking around at night.. not afraid of being robbed etc), people very friendly and helpful, and food is nice (personal opinion my vary).

Though certain things like internet (certain sites censored, and in general internet still a bit slow) and connection (phones from SG can't roam there) might not be that convenient, but it's a very good place to feel what is life back when it is much more slow paced.

Hope these helps. Btw are you going to work/stay there or just visit as a traveller?

Last edited:
Zero, I am glad to see you moving forward from basic landscapes to photojournalism. Nice pix.
Explore Myanmar in a non "salon" style.Cheers!

Last edited:
Incredible :thumbsup:. Myanmar is a beautiful country that I wish to visit. All Burmese friends I met are very hard working and friendly.

Zero, I am glad to see you moving forward from basic landscapes to photojournalism. Nice pix.
Explore Myanmar in a non "salon" style.Cheers!
Thank u so much Hosea for the encouragement.
I am still trying to learn many things and expand beyond my 'pet' area of landscape :embrass:. Please share more of ur nice travel series with us too :).

Incredible :thumbsup:. Myanmar is a beautiful country that I wish to visit. All Burmese friends I met are very hard working and friendly.
Thanks phan_vinh_nguyen :) !
Yes, you should visit Myanmar soon while it is not that commercialized yet. I believe now is still a good time to go. Last year when we were there, the number of tourists were really discouraging to the locals. But it's a blessing for us photographers who're just looking for quiet place and non-infested by tourists :).

Last edited:
Myanmar? I can't tell you much since I haven't stayed long enough to give a comment. What I can say, from a tourist/travellers' point of view is that, the country is safe (also in terms of walking around at night.. not afraid of being robbed etc), people very friendly and helpful, and food is nice (personal opinion my vary).

Though certain things like internet (certain sites censored, and in general internet still a bit slow) and connection (phones from SG can't roam there) might not be that convenient, but it's a very good place to feel what is life back when it is much more slow paced.

Hope these helps. Btw are you going to work/stay there or just visit as a traveller?

Thank you for showing us. These are very beautiful pictures & memorable for me.

I was there more than 10yrs ago & looks like nothing much has changed since. No mobile lines & all media were censored while the currency was controlled by a few central barons. Universities were often closed as the Junta don't want them to receive education=uprising. Buddism is revered there & it's said that they used the religion to control people's mind to let them have peace. You guys should see how much gold & jewels were donated to the stupas by the poor people. I can't remember the name of the powder that they applied on the face, it's supposed to cool off your skin in the hot weather so everybody wears it.

Thank you for showing us. These are very beautiful pictures & memorable for me.

I was there more than 10yrs ago & looks like nothing much has changed since. No mobile lines & all media were censored while the currency was controlled by a few central barons. Universities were often closed as the Junta don't want them to receive education=uprising. Buddism is revered there & it's said that they used the religion to control people's mind to let them have peace. You guys should see how much gold & jewels were donated to the stupas by the poor people. I can't remember the name of the powder that they applied on the face, it's supposed to cool off your skin in the hot weather so everybody wears it.

True. Even though most of the people in the country are not that well off, they continue to donate to the temple and buy that gold paper to paste on the Buddha statue. Such devotion and religiosity , amazing sight for me.

Oh yes, that powder.. thanaka haha. A girl in the market applied it on my face, surprisingly cooling!! Recently there's a new product in the market- bio-essence tanaka that is developed from the same material that the Burmese have used for centuries. haha... old tradition in new package

Btw, Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing your experience ! I really appreciate it :D

Last edited:

Myanmar is a great country to visit, I am there 4 times from 1996 to 1997. Really wish to go back there for some photos.

The banks, goldsmith shops, money changer & etc dun employed armed guards, but contruction sites will have 4 guards armed with G3 rifles ready to shoot anybody stealing even a piece of wood.

You have an amazing selection of photos!! :thumbsup:

I am planning to go there as a traveller. ;)

Myanmar is a great country to visit, I am there 4 times from 1996 to 1997. Really wish to go back there for some photos.

The banks, goldsmith shops, money changer & etc dun employed armed guards, but contruction sites will have 4 guards armed with G3 rifles ready to shoot anybody stealing even a piece of wood.
that's scary .. being shot for stealing a piece of wood :bigeyes:

You have an amazing selection of photos!! :thumbsup:
Thanks raghnall :)

I am planning to go there as a traveller. ;)
I see. You'll surely enjoy your trip ;)

Very nice travel photos!
Other work in your website also incredible!!
Well done!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent, excellent series. So many wonderful shots to choose from, especially those from the train stations.

My personal favorites are #65 and #57.

Very nice travel photos!
Other work in your website also incredible!!
Well done!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you so much weekh for the kind comments :D

Excellent, excellent series. So many wonderful shots to choose from, especially those from the train stations.

My personal favorites are #65 and #57.
Thanks a lot ahbian :D .Myanmar train station is still very old-school and interesting , maybe looks closer to our tanjong pagar railway station- but theirs is much bigger haha.

Last edited:
True. Even though most of the people in the country are not that well off, they continue to donate to the temple and buy that gold paper to paste on the Buddha statue. Such devotion and religiosity , amazing sight for me.

Oh yes, that powder.. thanaka haha. A girl in the market applied it on my face, surprisingly cooling!! Recently there's a new product in the market- bio-essence tanaka that is developed from the same material that the Burmese have used for centuries. haha... old tradition in new package

Btw, Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing your experience ! I really appreciate it :D
Thanaka? hmm will check on it, heard it's from a tree bark?

Thanks for sharing with us your wonderful pics! I regret that I can't find records of my trip back then. I was very lucky to be on a diplomatic trip (I was just a lowly butler :bsmilie:) back then & got to see some things that many didn't see or rather "we were supposed to see". You guys should see how much tons of gold & precious stones are donated to decorate the temples but nobody steals. (bear in mind how poor these people are)

I admire the people, their devotion to religion, the content in their simple & poor lifestyle. Some places do not have water & the gals in the family have to wake up @ 5am to walk 2-5kmsx2 everyday to carry 2 big buckets of water home. We are so lucky here.

Would you have more pics from Pagan?

Thanaka? hmm will check on it, heard it's from a tree bark?

Thanks for sharing with us your wonderful pics! I regret that I can't find records of my trip back then. I was very lucky to be on a diplomatic trip (I was just a lowly butler ) back then & got to see some things that many didn't see or rather "we were supposed to see". You guys should see how much tons of gold & precious stones are donated to decorate the temples but nobody steals. (bear in mind how poor these people are)

I admire the people, their devotion to religion, the content in their simple & poor lifestyle. Some places do not have water & the gals in the family have to wake up @ 5am to walk 2-5kmsx2 everyday to carry 2 big buckets of water home. We are so lucky here.

Would you have more pics from Pagan?
Yes it's from tree bark, particular kind of tree in Myanmar I think.

I don't have that much picture from Bagan anymore. That's about all I guess. We only spent a night there. So 1 sunset and 1 sunrise. Would've loved to spend more time, 3-4 days maybe to explore more of the temple complex. It's such huge archeological plain, that if Angkor Wat warrants a few days, then Bagan probably the same or more :D

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks a lot ThunderBolt :D

its really wonderful collection of shots u got there!

Myanmar will become my shortlist trip in the coming months, can u share more about ur trip?

airfare/accomodation/guides/ must-do & must-not-do?

its really wonderful collection of shots u got there!

Myanmar will become my shortlist trip in the coming months, can u share more about ur trip?

airfare/accomodation/guides/ must-do & must-not-do?
Hi dexpense,
thanks so much :).
The trip was organized by fellow CSer Hosea. I think it would probably more convenient if you pm him to ask about the detail of the trip. He liases with his relative's agency in Myanmar and can arrange for big group as well (12 pax or more).

very nice.....i especially like #10.

Thanks alo shiruikage :) .. glad you like that pic.

Last edited:
nice series n great capture. keep them coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.