double exposure on d300

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog

Feb 13, 2002
Alexandra
maddog.clubsnap.org
i wanna take a shot of a girl against a building at night. its dark. so i wanna take one shot with flash first, then on same frame take same shot without girl long exposure.

how do i do this? tia..........:D

i wanna take a shot of a girl against a building at night. its dark. so i wanna take one shot with flash first, then on same frame take same shot without girl long exposure.

Use the multiple exposure function in the shooting menu. Specify 2 or more photos to be combined. First shot with flash, second shot long exposure on just the building. The camera will combine the two photos into one raw or jpeg image (depending on your setting).

Added tip - for the long exposure on the building, you will get less noise if you combine more exposures into the image, so instead of combining 2 images (1 with person and 1 without), combine like 3 or 4 images, (1 with girl with flash and 2 or 3 images of long exposure of the building)

your subject, the girl need to stay through out the two or multiple exposures, if not, she will become a ghost, can see the building in the background thru her semitransparent body.

got any example to show here?? i tried but seems not working...meaning to say...if i shoot a girl in 3 exposure, the girl must be inside the 2 exposure with 1 exposure for background?

What are you trying to achieve? To see the wall through the girl or to get them both exposed well? If it is to get them both exposed, try using a tripod and set your camera for "rear flash sync" (might be called "rear curtain sync" or "rear shutter sync"- on the LCD on the top of my D80 it just says "rear" under the flash setting). The flash will try to determine its exposure and the camera will stay open longer to get exposure for the background. One shot. Works best in Aperature Priority mode. Joe McNally uses it a lot (in his book "Hot Shoe Diaries" is where I learned about it). Some examples: http://insights.betterphoto.com/2009/11/camera-flash-techniques-rear-curtain-sync.html Or you can do two exposures and combine them in say Photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.