Don't Go To Art School

seriously, how many photographers really invest on their educations?

how many photographers attend workshops, seminars, webinars, visit exhibitions, read photography books, business books, literature books, personal development books?
other than go PC shows, Car shows, Fashion shows, read gears catalog and reviews?

seriously, how many photographers really invest on their educations?

how many photographers attend workshops, seminars, webinars, visit exhibitions, read photography books, business books, literature books, personal development books?
other than go PC shows, Car shows, Fashion shows, read gears catalog and reviews?

me! i don't go to pc shows, carshows, fashion shows. On education, I only had 2 modules related to photography. The rest are workshops from creativelive and phlearn and bits and pieces of the net. Have loads of books and dvds, usually I buy from book depo and wait for black friday to buy the dvds. hehe.

but Im still a hobbyist lols

These 2 went to art school and came out successful. Those who are unsuccessful in an art school thinks too far ahead, thinking that by graduating, it will net them clients willing to pay. If you don't go out your way to find your clients, you won't be successful.

Erik Almås Photography
Rus Anson - Welcome

Though the author raise some valid points, but it sounds like whining about life.

Success isn't about of you go to school or not, but it is about how much you are willing to change from current stage.

It is not going to be easy.

Hart

Going to get an education, whatever that is, is not the end of the journey when you graduate. It's only the BEGINNING of the journey. Art school, accountancy school, engineering school or any other school teaches you HOW to LEARN.

Those who didn't make it are usually those who think just because they have an education in their chosen field, they will automatically be successful.

well there are some local photographers who went to brand name photo schools with a degree program in the US. I can remember 2 persons. One was and most probably is still in the top 15% of his field, the other has been outted by a very upset client. Important to note it is not the fact that you went overseas but how well you learnt over there. School can teach alot if you are aware however in a creative field it is at the end of the day talent plus an all out obsessive drive to realize that talent that allows for you to transform potential into ability. No school can do that for you.

Understand the market in its local context and you will have your answer.
Singapore is not a media, entertainment, fashion hub like Paris, New York, Milan, Shanghai or even Taiwan.
In those countries the mentioned industries are mega industries that generate billions of $ annually.
They have big names in both fashion and showbiz to carry the industry globally.
What does SG have? Mediacorp and SPH who only hire on a lowest bid basis.
We do not have a vibrant fashion industry to support the likes of professional photography where a professional certificate CAN make a diff.
At best you can start your own biz and be a wedding photographer as that is one of the few photography service that is sought after here. But that means your competing with other photographers who's only other unique trait is defined by the equipment they carry. In other words, you are just providing a service.