Dont bother going F1 for photography

kcuf2

Dec 29, 2005
KFC
The last time I went F1 was 2011, and there was no lens restriction. But this time 2018, not only is there lens restriction, but the spectators were blocked about 3 metres from the fence!

At such distance, whatever images you shoot will turn out to be shit, regardless of the lens used.

In addition, no photography is allowed of the main stage event!

I go F1 only for the fun of shooting, but because of this restrictions, today will be the last time I attend the Singapore F1

85B84850-5475-419E-AA48-7BEFC3D6A365.jpeg

Attachments

• A92110F9-D5F5-478B-8059-D1155B23AF3A.jpeg
    A92110F9-D5F5-478B-8059-D1155B23AF3A.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 67
Wow! Luckily I didn't go yesterday as I also in town. I wanted to bring my RX10 mk4 over, maybe also cannot bring in if got such restriction. I think they also better don't held any more since so much inconvenience to us.

The blockage of people from standing next to the fence meant that we will not be able to shoot through the fence - all images will be shit regardless of the lens used.

For me, i derive fun from shooting the F1, if I can’t shoot properly, that means no fun, and that means they will not receive any money from me anymore.

And also in the past, I can easily used my 500mm lens to shoot the main stage performers eg. Shakira.

But this time round, “No photography of the main stage event”, “No cameras wih telephoto lens allowed at main stage”

All this means the end of me attending F1

A250FD92-6BF8-4074-93A5-AD4B7F5B8CC8.jpeg

Think about it this way. there are a*holes not paying for the media passes, but the general admission tickets, selling their F1 photos everywhere. this hurts the careers of professional sports photographers and the revenues of magazines.

instead of pitying yourselves and calling for a boycott of an event just because you can't take photos, put yourselves into the shoes of the professionals covering the events. no wonder Nas says that Singaporeans lack perspective.

This year was my first F1 since 2010, and yeah, access is much lower now.

But I don't go there to shoot much. I did shoot some of the acts (Sugarhill Gang!) and the people.

If you want to shoot motorsports (heck, any sports) go for the minor leagues -- you are more welcome and can get closer. F1 is the world's premier motorsport -- it's like trying to shoot at the World Cup or Olympics.

I bought seats at the Bay Grandstand (facing MBS), was stopped from standing up, even for a brief moment to shoot with handphone. This will be my last F1, the last event was 5 years back. Even those pro shooters favourite spot, the turn in front of Victoria theatre, had changed a lot since. Overheard one guy using a 500-600mm lens having some difficulty shooting those cars, those fence mainly the fault. Interests for this sport had indeed fallen behind. The main draw is the concerts.