Does Nikon D90 had anything that is lifespan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mem0riess

Jan 23, 2009
North
Hi, im interested to know about Shutter lifespan.

I heard from my friend that shutter had lifespan, is it true?

If it is true, how do i use it wisely?

I think it can go up to a couple of tens of thousands, so shouldn't really worry bout it. If it fails can always get it repaired.

Lets say shutter span is ~20 000. 1 photo is ~ 4MB (JPEG FINE).

You'll have to shoot 80GB worth of photos before you reach your shutter lifespan, which may not even spoil and still continue to take photos.

Once i bought my cam on the first day, i already took 212mb of pics on my memory card.

So the 80gb is roughly a shutter lifespan or?

Once i bought my cam on the first day, i already took 212mb of pics on my memory card.

So the 80gb is roughly a shutter lifespan or?

My D80 exceeded 20K and is still doing fine. Actually I've not really heard of anyone's DSLRs' shutter exceeding their lifespan. May take years to do so.

Really its not a cause for worry, because even if it spoils, it can still be repaired. Though by the time you would have gotten another camera. :D

Basically when you press your shutter button once and you hear the camera's "click" sound, that counts as one.
Not to worry ..the D90 shutter is tested to 150000 cycles...im sure it will take you a long time to reach that number unless if you are shooting photos 24hrs a day, 7 days a week..

if you do not 'exercise' your shutter enough......... the thing could well rust and jam too

normally under normal use, a shutter will survive more than 100,000 actuations

Ok, thank guys!
My friend suddenly told me, and i got really worried.

But can it be repaired?

yes, should it ever jam one day in the future, the shutter part is replacable at NSC.

Ok, thank guys!
My friend suddenly told me, and i got really worried.

But can it be repaired?

Don't worry, for hobbyists like us, we wont even come close to hitting the avg shutter lifespan! and yes, like someone mentioned above, the quoted lifespan is something like 80-100k so relax and just shoot :)

Thanks guys for sharing.
Thanks so much!

yes agree from the above, even u urself also have life span :)

There are no solid proof a lifespan of a shutter. Mechanism things. can go haywire at anytime. . There is not death count for any shutter count. But there is such a thing as wear and tear. I have a friend owned a D3 and have to change his shutter at 55k count cos it fails.. there are some who had even hit 100K and still going strong.. So it is just depend on your luck ...

But whatever it is.. dont worry about shutter count. Just enjoy and shoot. That is what Photography is all about.

Lets say shutter span is ~20 000. 1 photo is ~ 4MB (JPEG FINE).

You'll have to shoot 80GB worth of photos before you reach your shutter lifespan

Shutter count is the number of times you press the shutter not the file size of your pictures.

I think Ang Pow is explaining it the other way round. After I re-read his explanation, it makes sense. Instead of him saying number of times one depresses the shutter, he uses the illustration of how many photos one has to shoot before the shutter reaches ~ 20 000 (80GB worth of photos) , as he uses the file size according to his example.

Status
Not open for further replies.