Does D700 have enough edge over D7K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) no worry bro.

Sharpness for photography is not the total necessity.
The photo compositon is the one which got value of art.

That is what I lag now :)
Happy shooting

Last edited:
My D80 is the best. :bsmilie:. Got so much free time, why not go and improve your skill instead.
2111996192_7a48392d86_z.jpg

It is photography, not comparecameragraphy.

Last edited:
My D80 is the best. :bsmilie:. Got so much free time, why not go and improve your skill instead.

Nice.. :thumbsup:

agree! the best camera is the one you have right now...

From my D90

4982556149_309e5c6005_z.jpg

:thumbsup:

Can you show me where that has been compared...Anywhere?:dunno:

Here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Select D7k on one side, select D700 on the other. Select the same pics with same ISO. enjoy.

And from one of the links DrSpock provided: http://www.dustylens.com/d7000_vs_d300_vs_d700.htm
Conclusion: The D7000 produced approximately 1/2 to 2/3 stops more noise than the D700 at ISO 3200 when equalized for print size. All files started as raw files with noise reduction and sharpening turned off. They were converted using Nikon ViewNX 2.0.2.

So my assessment that D7k is only 0.5 stops behind D700 in hi-ISO noise performance is in-line with what others have found as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, 5 years :thumbsup:

Figure of speech...

I predict by end of next year the ISO noise performance of the D700 sensor will be exceeded by a non-FF sensor.

Actually by Moore's law standard, this is already considered slow.

Last edited:
Figure of speech...

I predict by end of next year the ISO noise performance of the D700 sensor will be exceeded by a non-FF sensor.

let him be, bro... ego is important to some people :)
ppl just jumped to FX, so of course it must be superior to DX :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:yup.

in the end. shoot with D3s if skill suck eggs, pics will still stuck eggs... just that pics will be low noise suck eggs pictures.

Different people have different needs... so it is still a personal choice...

I have been saving up for a new cam, and when the D7k was announced, I was excited about it, and followed along whenever a new review or new pics are posted from the D7k. However, I was in KL and was trying out the D7k at the Nikon Showroom in Bejaya Times Square. So what did I go for in the end? --> D700... why? Because it fits my needs more at this time, and I bought it before the D7k was launched.

To me, a cam is more than just the sensor. Even if the sensor of D7k is better than the D700, there are other things like comfort and ergonomics (and I have big hands), AF speed (as most of my lenses are AF-D lenses), and sharing of accessories with my D300.

I made up my mind before the D7k came on the market... and I am glad I got the D700... so now I must produce pictures worthy of the D700 :bsmilie: Besides, the D700 though may be 2 year old technology, it is also a tried and tested technology.

Anyway... TS went to buy D7k liow...

Last edited:
Different people have different needs... so it is still a personal choice...

I have been saving up for a new cam, and when the D7k was announced, I was excited about it, and followed along whenever a new review or new pics are posted from the D7k. However, I was in KL and was trying out the D7k at the Nikon Showroom in Bejaya Times Square. So what did I go for in the end? --> D700... why? Because it fits my needs more at this time, and I bought it before the D7k was launched.

To me, a cam is more than just the sensor. Even if the sensor of D7k is better than the D700, there are other things like comfort and ergonomics (and I have big hands), AF speed (as most of my lenses are AF-D lenses), and sharing of accessories with my D300.

I made up my mind before the D7k came on the market... and I am glad I got the D700... so now I must produce pictures worthy of the D700 :bsmilie: Besides, the D700 though may be 2 year old technology, it is also a tried and tested technology.

Anyway... TS went to buy D7k liow...

:thumbsup:

It is all about needs. Even if a new DX camera is released next month and it comes with a sensor that will perform better than the D700 sensor. Does it matter? Has our needs changed? If needs have not changed, that means our current camera is still ok. so why feel threatened?

And no need to make pictures worthy of the D700... just make pictures worthy of yourself. ;)

Last edited:
I hope this is not your personal attack on me because I respect you as a senior due to your over 6,000 posts in this forum.
My comments in this thread is not to defend anything but to let the TS know that D700 is still has an edge over D7000 in many areas besides ISO performance although the gap becomes smaller now between DX and FX. I would say I never say something opposite to the facts.
Yeah, I jumped from D90 to D700. So what's wrong about it? How about those jumped from compact LX3 to D7000? :dunno:

let him be, bro... ego is important to some people :)
ppl just jumped to FX, so of course it must be superior to DX :)

By end of next year, the replacement for D700 will definitely come out. By then, it will exceed the new DX sensor. The product cycle is 2 years. But Nikon will definitely draw a clear line on the performance between DX and FX as long as their FX are still in production. Maybe the margin is smaller and the buyers need to think whether the margin worth the $$.

For us, yes, it's irrational to chase new gear. But photography itself as a hobby, different individual has different needs and different way of satisfication. I believe part of the joy in photography comes from playing different gears, besides taking nice photos. So if someone has adequate monetary support, I don't see anything wrong of changing gears. Of coz some of the people are blind and don't know their financial situation, we can advise them but not too harsh on them. Life is short, just enjoy while you can brother. A friend of mine just died at the age of 39 years old last week due to sudden heart attack. He hasn't enjoyed his life enough yet.

Figure of speech...

By end of next year, the replacement for D700 will definitely come out. By then, it will exceed the new DX sensor. The product cycle is 2 years. But Nikon will definitely draw a clear line on the performance between DX and FX as long as their FX are still in production. Maybe the margin is smaller and the buyers need to think whether the margin worth the $$.

I was answering to the post below. And also to your comment that the D700 is "miles ahead" of D7k.

Is it possible that a DX camera has better dynamic range, compared with a FX camera ?

:think::nono:

Yes I have also claried in my previous thread that it is just a joke and not a good gauge on the gap. I have also stated that the gap is getting smaller. Hope that all is clear now...;)

I was answering to the post below. And also to your comment that the D700 is "miles ahead" of D7k.

Yes I have also claried in my previous thread that it is just a joke and not a good gauge on the gap. I have also stated that the gap is getting smaller. Hope that all is clear now...;)

Bro,

Same mind set.. Enjoy while u still can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.