Does anyone willing to share more about P7700?

HLLEE

Oct 6, 2006
Hi all, just bought a Nikon P7700 but the pictures i took is really low standard. Anyone out there willing to teach me more about this camera? Example: settings to take pics outdoor, indoor, close up and sports.
Hope to hear from you guys soon, thank you so much.

Hi all, just bought a Nikon P7700 but the pictures i took is really low standard. Anyone out there willing to teach me more about this camera? Example: settings to take pics outdoor, indoor, close up and sports.

It would help if you post some images so that we know what's your 'low standard' and to see if there's anything wrong with the cam.

It would help if you post some images so that we know what's your 'low standard' and to see if there's anything wrong with the cam.

Hi, here are some pictures i took but i feel that it's really not up to standard, even normal camera can achieve this type of quality.
P1050066.jpg

P1050225.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

not the cam fault, it's the finger's fault for depressin the button to take pic.

with ur current mindset, even if u hv a d4 with the trinity lenses, ur pics would still b medicore.
it takes lots of practise, reading abt the works of other photographers etc to know how to compose, what to prepare etc.

remember a camera only takes what u see n want...

take a look at this flickr group for nikon p7700.
i think some of the pics r pretty good
Flickr: The Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pool

i believe in workin hard for a good pic, and a startin idea to keep in mind is to get a different angle for ur shots.
climbin to a higher point, or even layin down on ground etc helps

Last edited:
A good camera does not a good photographer maketh.

If i'm good at it i won't be posting here already. Hee hee, that's why i hope some experts can share the settings for different env to take pic.
not the cam fault, it's the finger's fault for depressin the button to take pic.

with ur current mindset, even if u hv a d4 with the trinity lenses, ur pics would still b medicore.
it takes lots of practise, reading abt the works of other photographers etc to know how to compose, what to prepare etc.

remember a camera only takes what u see n want...

take a look at this flickr group for nikon p7700.
i think some of the pics r pretty good
Flickr: The Nikon Coolpix P7700 Pool

i believe in workin hard for a good pic, and a startin idea to keep in mind is to get a different angle for ur shots.
climbin to a higher point, or even layin down on ground etc helps

Jus go out n shoot n practise.

Read the guides here,they r useful.
Understand the basic etc...

There's really no standard settings,every shots must b approach differently on wat u wanna achieve

If i'm good at it i won't be posting here already. Hee hee, that's why i hope some experts can share the settings for different env to take pic.

There is no magic formula, nor are there settings to magically improve your skill.

There is no magic formula, nor are there settings to magically improve your skill.

This is my answer: the settings I use depend on my composition, the available light and the effect I desire.

There are no magic settings actually. You need to understand the exposure triangle to figure out what to do to achieve what you want. And from your pictures, you can use some understanding on how to compose your scenes.

I suggest you go read up on composition, and learn some photographic skills. A good place to start is to read on the internet or sign up for a course. You can find quite a few here: Workshops, Tutorials and Classes

Read up about composition, shutter speed, aperture, for a start to understand the basics of photography. Understand the dials on the top plate of your camera, and move the main dial away from P to A or S? Change settings of aperture and shutter speed and take suitable photos to test the effects. Play around with the +- dial to the the effect it has on brightness of shot. Read up about composing, rule of a third. Take photos, change composition by moving your feet instead of zooming, etc. read your manual. Aot portrait, landscape,

diediealsomustdive said:
Read up about composition, shutter speed, aperture, for a start to understand the basics of photography. Understand the dials on the top plate of your camera, and move the main dial away from P to A or S? Change settings of aperture and shutter speed and take suitable photos to test the effects. Play around with the +- dial to the the effect it has on brightness of shot. Read up about composing, rule of a third. Take photos, change composition by moving your feet instead of zooming, etc. read your manual. Aot portrait, landscape,

Sports, etc.

Can any experts teach me under what circumstances set low ISO or high ISO? Thanks.

Try out yourself, then look at the pictures you take. Think about it. Under what cicumtances you feel is low ISO look better and under what circumtances you feel ISO high look better. Then you POST it here again, write your feeling about the pictures and ask what the expert think about it.
I believe this is the best way to lend faster.

For your information, I am not an expert.:bsmilie:

Can any experts teach me under what circumstances set low ISO or high ISO? Thanks.

Seriously there's no magic formula.

Maybe you should try setting it to auto iso (from 100-800/1600) let the cam decide it for you, while you compose and shoot.

You cannot be expecting everyone to tell you how to compose right? what shutter to use what iso to use right?

What if they tell you the setting and yet you still think it's not up to standard?

You should bring your cam out do some Trial and error..

Last edited:
Low ISO - low noise, fine details, suitable when there is plenty of light

High ISO - high noise, loss of details, good for action when shutter speed is critical, good for low light conditions, the I don't care about quality but must get the shot situation.

HLLEE said:
Anyone out there willing to teach me more about this camera? Example: settings to take pics outdoor, indoor, close up and sports.

If you're willing to pay, I'm willing to teach! Hehe!

I noticed your post in ortega's Hands-On thread:

I'm currently using this Nikon P7700 but i couldn't capture great pictures like you do, would be great if you don't mind sharing share of the settings on the camera on outdoor, indoor, close up and sports.

I don't know ortega's background, but I'm guessing that while his settings may have contributed partly to how his photos turned out, if you gave him any other camera in his hands, he would probably have been able to get similar shots. (On that note, you should check out: "Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera" Series by DigitalRev) Maybe he has honed his eye shooting more than X number of frames/photos to date, maybe he had his fair share of subpar photos over the years but went back and studied what makes other photos look great etc etc. You get the idea.

Hi, here are some pictures i took but i feel that it's really not up to standard, even normal camera can achieve this type of quality.

Don't know who told you otherwise, but the p7700 IS a normal camera, like all other cameras. Do you seriously think if you had a Leica in your hands your photos would have turned out differently?

The camera is but a small part of what makes nice pictures. I suggest before you start concerning yourself with 'settings' so much, work at improving your eye for composition and lighting. Those are skills that will help you make interesting pictures out of even boring/uninteresting subjects. E.g., even if you shoot in Auto, you can review the settings that the camera chose, and from there learn/figure out whether the auto settings were a good choice or not. Looking at your pictures, they seem like regular snapshots without much thought/intent. Your subjects are uninteresting, the (lack of) composition doesn't help. Don't be discouraged, there are a lot of resources on the net these days. Keep shooting, studying, learning, observing. You'll get there.

Here's an example:

What we can learn from successful images: Just as the conscious mind thrives on the consistency and stability of our world view in spite of the plethora of sensations and the jumpy nature of eye movements, it responds favorably to simplicity in framed images. That does not mean that details should be missing, but rather that there is a center of attention and a minimum of distractions. The eye should be directed into the most important areas by visual clues and should not be confused by areas of equal importance. Similarly, framed images are favored that are balanced and are not boring. This has to do with composition, that is to say the location of features that have been selected for inclusion by the artist and their effect on the overall impact of the work.

Beyond the simple admonitions to keep it simple and avoid distractions, we can list features that have found favor with most observers. These guidelines to composition can save time and, to some extent, substitute for experience for beginning photographers. With digital photography, where each captured image costs practically nothing, it is all too easy to shoot away without planning and later to realize that the compositions lack something important. I believe that lists of guidelines can increase awareness about composition and motivate planning by photographers. They may also forewarn about likely reactions of critics.

With the usual caveat that guidelines are not rules and that there are exceptions to all of them, I list a selection of guidelines that are frequently encountered.

1. Establish a major object or area of interest. It should be easy to answer the question, “What is the subject of this photograph?” The object of interest can be isolated by means of placement, background, and depth-of-field. In some cases natural lines and contours can be used to direct the eye to the subject. Natural frames within the image can also be helpful.

2. Avoid distractions. Some of the major distractions are competing points of interest such as bright areas especially at the edges, large fuzzy areas in the foreground, busy backgrounds, and lines that run directly to a corner.

3. In general avoid placing objects directly at the center of the frame unless symmetry demands it. Center placement, especially of small objects, makes balance difficult and tends to be boring. As a corollary, avoid placing the horizon exactly in the center of a picture. The subtle difference in composition of Figs. 1 (a) and (b) is sufficient for most observers to find (b) more pleasing.

4. Consider using the rule of thirds. Divide the image into thirds in both the horizontal and vertical directions by means of imaginary lines to make nine blocks. The crossing points of these lines, namely one-third of the way in from both the vertical and horizontal edges, make favorable “hot spots” for the placement of objects or points of interest in the image. Placement at a crossing point works for the geyser in Fig. 2; however, the symmetry and size of the orchid in Fig. 3 leaves little choice about placement.

5. Give moving objects extra space in front for their anticipated movement. This is obviously desirable in most cases. In the event that the moving object has a “tail” such as the wake for a boat or the jet trail of an airplane, it may be better to assume that the tail is part of the object.

6. Avoid awkward clipping of objects or features at the edge of images. For example, windows in walls should usually be totally in or out of the frame. Tight cropping to show a face or perhaps a waist length portrait may be fine, but avoid clipping small parts. For example, try not to clip a hand or an ankle and foot.

This list simply attempts to put into words some of the features that contribute to our like or dislike of certain images. Sometimes placement is so obvious to most people that a rule is superfluous. Consider, for example classic portraits created over many decades of faces that show two eyes. The faces are seldom straight on, and the dominant eye tends to be in the exact center of the canvas with remarkable consistency. The location of noses and mouths is much more variable. This observation is interesting but not particularly helpful.

With all this discussion of composition, one should not lose sight of the importance of subject matter. A valid criticism of any work of art is that there is no inherent interest in the subject. This immediately gets us into the most subjective part of art criticism. One photographer may find art in the placement of a cigarette butt on a sidewalk or the location of a weed growing from a crack in concrete while another photographer is bored stiff by the same subjects. The choice of the subject is quite personal. I personally am attracted to images that help me see the world in a new way. That might mean detail and colors in insects and birds, frozen action in sports, or composition and color in landscapes. The reader can insert their choices here as well.

Understanding What Makes a Good Image and Learning How to Use That Knowledge

It would help if you understood what ISO does for you. In short, the darker the scene, the higher the ISO. The brighter the scene the lower the ISO. However, this holds true to a certain percentage only.

You need to understand basics of ISO, Aperture and Shutter, know how they compliment each other and you will understand how 'settings' come into play.

Images exposure looks alright still, except the 2nd pic which might be a bit under exposed due to the metering. Keep shooting.

The first thing to know is to know what the camera in your hands can and cannot do
Them make the most of what the camera can do best and use less of what it is bad at

Then learn to see photo opportunities and light

So the p7700 has lots of dof, so make use of it
Bring along a tripod, it solves a lot of problems