Do you want a full frame DSLR?

DO you want a full frame DSLR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
benny said:
But FF cameras don't have pop up flash.....

Canon wanted you to use EX flash. ;p

YES i want a Full Frame DSLR. But my preferred camera brand don't make one (despite having some really nice wide angle lens) :( :(

Do i want a full frame? Yes and no.
No: I shoot sports and nature a lot where a crop factor means i get more reach or get to use a lighter lens (good for the back!).
No: A good camera needs a good lens to match. From as far back as the days of the 1V and film, canon has made crap wideangles. Full frame might give me more coverage but its pointless when the corners are so badly distorted. Any wider than 20mm and the distortion renders the full frame pics hopeless for landscapes/cityscapes. I can easily get 20mm of reach on a 1.3x 1.6x body using a EFS lens. Using a 17-35mm in the past for event coverage, i always had to zoom out to about 20-24mm and take a few steps back to prevent distortion of subject.
Yes: More pixels to play with? Allows me to frame more liberally?
Overall, no, i'd rather have a 2x or 2.5x crop factor. Want to shoot proper landscapes, go buy a LF camera with tilt/shift functions. Cheap ones go at about 1.6k new!

sure.
but costly.

szekiat said:
Want to shoot proper landscapes, go buy a LF camera with tilt/shift functions. Cheap ones go at about 1.6k new!

Is there one?

Bringing a Horseman for travel will kill your back.

Canon 1.6x crop factor camera is good for me as i like tele photography...;)

litefoot said:
Is there one?

check out the cambo ones at ruby. They had one model going for 1.5k with lens and back. You want horseman, sinar, etc, u pay the price.

litefoot said:

Really? Have you tried it?

Actually, bringing a Horseman (or any other LF equipment) will strengthen your back!

Unless of course one is so out of shape that carrying a pack of french fries will tire him out!

Heheh...certainly, having a full-frame camera would be nice. It's a big want, but it wouldn't be supported with my kind of bank balance at this time. Sometime in the future, prices would definitely be lower, and maybe I'd consider getting one then...especially if I start working and bringing a good amount of cash in.

But, I will miss the 1.6X FOV crop on an entry-level DSLR because my photography seems to be taking a slight skew towards the telephoto stuff at the moment.

I think, this thing about the FOV and telephoto photography, you could achieve a better result with a full frame with more MP because with more MP, you could always crop out the portion you want, FOV is just something to fool the mind.;)

Price price price. As long as its down to affordable price, I'll take it.

RossChang said:
I think, this thing about the FOV and telephoto photography, you could achieve a better result with a full frame with more MP because with more MP, you could always crop out the portion you want, FOV is just something to fool the mind.;)

To get a 8MP "1.6x" crop from a full-frame camera, you'll need a 20.5MP full-frame sensor.....

I want a full frame, but not the 1DsMk2 nor the 5D. If one comes out with a 24 bit sensor, I will be first in line.

Deadpoet said:
I want a full frame, but not the 1DsMk2 nor the 5D. If one comes out with a 24 bit sensor, I will be first in line.

24-bit sensor? What does that mean? 24-bit colour depth (Red 8-bit, Green 8-bit, Blue 8-bit) or 24-bit per primary colour (total 24 x 3 = 72-bit colour depth)?

If you are referring to the former, I thought all digital cameras are 24-bit sensors?

Or 24-bit data bus?

Anyone care to explain? :confused:

mpenza said:
To get a 8MP "1.6x" crop from a full-frame camera, you'll need a 20.5MP full-frame sensor.....

Hi mpenza,

How's the math like? How is this calculated? Thanks.

eAgles said:
Hi mpenza,

How's the math like? How is this calculated? Thanks.

very simple
FF sensor size is 36mm x 24mm
1.6 crop sensor is 22.5mm x 15mm

using the area, 8mp at 1.6 crop = 8 * 36/22.5 * 24/15 = 20.48mp at FF

I wish to have a FF, mainly for landscape. But heck the price is just not what I could easily afford. I was thinking to get a used 1Ds MK1, but now... :think: :dunno: Not sure if 5D is more worth it.

How much would a second hand 1Ds MK1 cost now? How do you guys compare 1Ds MK1 with 5D? Do you guys foresee the resale price of 1Ds to drop with the release of 5D?

student said:
Really? Have you tried it?

Actually, bringing a Horseman (or any other LF equipment) will strengthen your back!

Unless of course one is so out of shape that carrying a pack of french fries will tire him out!

Actually, i travel around with a 4x5 FIELD camera most of the time, either a tachihara, or a speed graphic. The tachihara offers all the movements i need for shooting without the bulk of a monorail camera, and the speed graphic offers some mvt, but with a 1/1000 built in shutter for "fast" shots.

But in return, i get 4x5 & 6x12 velvias that will BLOW any full frame dslr/mf digi back to the longkang, at a mere fraction of the price. :bsmilie:

Nic1302 said:
I wish to have a FF, mainly for landscape. But heck the price is just not what I could easily afford. I was thinking to get a used 1Ds MK1, but now... :think: :dunno: Not sure if 5D is more worth it.

How much would a second hand 1Ds MK1 cost now? How do you guys compare 1Ds MK1 with 5D? Do you guys foresee the resale price of 1Ds to drop with the release of 5D?

Judging from the rate Canon releases its bodies, it's similar to computers... the longer u wait, the lower it'll get.

THe 1ds will most likely hit the low 3 k, high 2 k (usd) mark sometime early next year, with the release of the new bodies. Though only a prediction, it seems highly likely, judging from depreciative trend when the 1d took a plunge upon the release of the mk II.

Status
Not open for further replies.