Do you use AF or MF when taking event photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindSlash

Aug 26, 2008
Hi, I am new to this photography world and recently I participated an event just to capture some photos. I have a preference for using Manual Focus however I find it hard to constantly use Manual Focus especially if there is a dance or fast action sequence during the events. Do you guys use Auto Focus to make up for the convenience or do you guys stick with Manual Focus? (The Hard Way).

I don't understand why you would refuse a tool designed to make your life easier and go for the harder path...

We're not masochists... And pay good $$$ for fast-focusing bodies and lenses.

I only use manual if I'm going to shoot macro.

its hard to keep up with the action of you MF
AF is there for a reason

I use AF unless i'm shooting for fun, i want to practise my MF and missing the shot isn't a biggie. Why buy a body/lens with a fast AF and then decide that you're going to use MF for fast subjects like dance and sports?

AF... unless it's low light and I need MF to get it right...

In my opinion, MF seems to be more professional? no?

FAIL. 100% FAIL. FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!!!!!

D3 is more professional. All you losers using the D300/D700/D80/D60/D40x/D40 ARE NOOBS! :bsmilie:

your assumption astounds me. Thats about as shallow as one can get.

Try telling your client "Oh i missed the shot because pros only use MF, I couldn't MF fast enough to get the shot"

Last edited:

Professional ??

at the expense of speed and getting the money shot?? :sweat:

Nope

there're many ways to get the job done. af, mf, full time mf.

i'll go for af if it's event photog. :)

What / who has brought you to that conclusion? Would it be more professional to use an Abacus instead of computers?
Beside this: what has a focusing method to do with getting paid for an activity? "Professional" implies that you do it for a profession = job.

Hi WindSlash,
Do whatever you need to get over your tools (e.g. camera, lens, lighting) and get into the image you're trying to capture. If auto focus and auto exposure can help you think more about the image and less about your tools, do try them out.

Yes, maybe one day you'll fall in love with a manual focus lens, but for now, concentrate on taking more photos with the least burden.

Hi WindSlash,
Do whatever you need to get over your tools (e.g. camera, lens, lighting) and get into the image you're trying to capture. If auto focus and auto exposure can help you think more about the image and less about your tools, do try them out.

Yes, maybe one day you'll fall in love with a manual focus lens, but for now, concentrate on taking more photos with the least burden.

I see, our point makes sense. I was disappointed by my recent event shots because I couldn't keep up with the time to focus at different times when the composition is the best. I guess I learnt my lesson, use AF for events.

Sorry, haha. I was trained by my mentor using MF during my first shot at using DSLR. Thus I assumed manual have better results then auto.

events? sports events, indoor exhibition events?
wad kind of events? i usually use M/A for non sports events, very useful when u want to turn ur main subject into a nice bokeh backdrop without having to switch around. . .

I see, our point makes sense. I was disappointed by my recent event shots because I couldn't keep up with the time to focus at different times when the composition is the best. I guess I learnt my lesson, use AF for events.

Sorry, haha. I was trained by my mentor using MF during my first shot at using DSLR. Thus I assumed manual have better results then auto.

MF is good, more for stationary objects and when you have the time to do so....

You can do AF with manual overide if you decise to do selective focusing. You can program your shutter button not to focus at half-press and the exposure lock button for focusing. Best of both world. ;)

However I dont shoot event for $$ so I'm not a professional. I'm only a hobbist.

FAIL. 100% FAIL. FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!!!!!

D3 is more professional. All you losers using the D300/D700/D80/D60/D40x/D40 ARE NOOBS! :bsmilie:

your assumption astounds me. Thats about as shallow as one can get.

Try telling your client "Oh i missed the shot because pros only use MF, I couldn't MF fast enough to get the shot"

:thumbsup: i agree. 101%.

Status
Not open for further replies.