Do you tilt your cam while taking portraits ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST_sg

Mar 23, 2004
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
Calling all photographers, do you prefer to tilt your camera while shooting portraits?

Do you think the say 10% vertical tilted give better visual effect or creativity?

What's your style ;p

Thanks and appreciate for sharing your experience.
ST.

Wouldn't the answer depends on the composition and angle you are using for? There's no fixed rule in photography, only guidelines. ;)

I find the poll to be redundant. How often you tilt depends on your intent.

i tilt when i want unwanted thingys off my frame... hehe.... but most of the time is for fun lo.... hahahahaahhaah.....

wad to do... Creative.... Critical Thinking.... lol...

My intention for this poll is just to gather information about the behavior how people hold their camera and frame/composition. would it differentiate between a newbie or a professional?

So, if for serious portraits, say a cover page model shoot. Do you prefer tilt angle or straight vertical? ;P

Cheers! and thanks for participating this thread.

based on the current poll result... :think: seems like tilting the camera is for fun only... not for serious/prof. portrait shots?!

come come... vote more :)

ST_sg said:
My intention for this poll is just to gather information about the behavior how people hold their camera and frame/composition. would it differentiate between a newbie or a professional?

So, if for serious portraits, say a cover page model shoot. Do you prefer tilt angle or straight vertical? ;P

Cheers! and thanks for participating this thread.

Just made me think... if it's a cover page image, it's even less likely that one will tilt as there's a specific orientation of the media/magazine/text. a tilted image might be difficult to carry off when there's text involved no? Personal opinion tho, and don't think my CO wants a 3/4-isometric-bottom up-floor hugging-mouses' view artistic image of him on the COC banner. So i guess it's reall depended on the intention and the ultimate purpose of the image.

Flare said:
Just made me think... if it's a cover page image, it's even less likely that one will tilt as there's a specific orientation of the media/magazine/text. a tilted image might be difficult to carry off when there's text involved no? Personal opinion tho, and don't think my CO wants a 3/4-isometric-bottom up-floor hugging-mouses' view artistic image of him on the COC banner. So i guess it's reall depended on the intention and the ultimate purpose of the image.
I see... just for your personal taste/opinion, what do you think about these photos?
http://sunnytang.fotopic.net/c290360.html

Is the tilted one give better visual effect?

All, thanks for sharing your opinions heh :)

ST_sg said:
I see... just for your personal taste/opinion, what do you think about these photos?
http://sunnytang.fotopic.net/c290360.html

Is the tilted one give better visual effect?

All, thanks for sharing your opinions heh :)

Ok... i'm not much of a good photographer, but if you insists on my 2 cents.
The 'tilting' in the series is ok, but i think we should not tilt for the sake of 'tilting'. The angle should try to bring something across. I think the 3rd image from the left didn't came out as well, while the first 2 is better. Gives a fresh and unique view. But I think I'll also like to complain on the composition a little... although the angle/tilt works for me on the first 2 pics, but i think you cropped off a little too much, the hands in the first image and sholder in the fourth distracts me, my mind is like looking for something which has been cropped off. And for the 2nd, think you took too much of the head off to make the picture seems un-natural to me.

Flare said:
Ok... i'm not much of a good photographer, but if you insists on my 2 cents.
The 'tilting' in the series is ok, but i think we should not tilt for the sake of 'tilting'. The angle should try to bring something across. I think the 3rd image from the left didn't came out as well, while the first 2 is better. Gives a fresh and unique view. But I think I'll also like to complain on the composition a little... although the angle/tilt works for me on the first 2 pics, but i think you cropped off a little too much, the hands in the first image and sholder in the fourth distracts me, my mind is like looking for something which has been cropped off. And for the 2nd, think you took too much of the head off to make the picture seems un-natural to me.
ok. Thanks for your advise. Will take note on those points you'd highlighted.

Cheers! :)

Flare said:
although the angle/tilt works for me on the first 2 pics, but i think you cropped off a little too much, the hands in the first image and sholder in the fourth distracts me, my mind is like looking for something which has been cropped off. And for the 2nd, think you took too much of the head off to make the picture seems un-natural to me.

I think a tighter crop for head and shoulder shot will be nicer.

My opinion, a tilted portrait creates more "lives", "more lively", it suits certain themes. A non-tilted portrait is more peaceful and more harmony, very classy, also suits certain themes. Its difficult to say which one is better or not, the photographer needs to look at the theme, the background, then frame and compose accordingly.

I seldom tilt my portrait shots... but when I do, it's intentional, and it's to suit the situation... So I don't really have a category to vote for ;) ...

Hi all, thank you for participating the survey. This thread really useful for me as a newbie and the information gathered at least give me some idea on composition.

Fact finding: Tilting the camera seems like a good idea to play with but not overly abused especially for some serious portraits :think:

Cheers! :thumbsup:

I read, if you are taking potraits for magazine cover, most people shoot using potrait mode...

personally it depends on the background also.....
somehow I will shift it around to suit my likings and of course the overall picture outcome...

nickmak said:
I read, if you are taking potraits for magazine cover, most people shoot using potrait mode...
I think the reason being every mag is in portriat format, kinda funny to have a landscape cover whereas the other contents are in portrait...

ST_sg said:
Calling all photographers, do you prefer to tilt your camera while shooting portraits?

Do you think the say 10% vertical tilted give better visual effect or creativity?

What's your style ;p

Thanks and appreciate for sharing your experience.
ST.

WTF? Is that your indirect way finding out how many people here shoot upskirt pictures? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.