Do you think photography will be commoditised?

Do you think photography will be commoditised?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has already happened in stock photography. The big players are setting up production houses to churn out volume output with fast turn around.

The largest stock photo supplier Getty calls its contributers "content providers" instead of photographers.

We don't have emotional attachment to our images or any artistic pretension. It's business pure and simple.

Those who make it will have stream-line workflow and highly organised production techniques. And they harness technology cleverly.

Yup. Totally agree. Nowadays any one can contribute to STOCK.

The digital in the hands of the ordinary give power to the masses. There are some markets that has transformed but there are some that still maintains. I think its hard for a hobbyist to have a day job and maintain an operational studio in an Industrial area at the same time even if he has all the money and time.

So, what is your concern, Lunas?

Yup. Totally agree. Nowadays any one can contribute to STOCK.

The digital in the hands of the ordinary give power to the masses. There are some markets that has transformed but there are some that still maintains. I think its hard for a hobbyist to have a day job and maintain an operational studio in an Industrial area at the same time even if he has all the money and time.

So, what is your concern, Lunas?

Thanks for sharing your view. Nothing special in particular. Just that lately, I have been reading up on portraiture and have been more active in this genre as compared to my past work.

Browsing through the work of some CSers work on portrait section, there are in fact some who claimed that they are 'newbie' take very good portraiture that may be 'almost' on par with commercial work or even better. In addition, Joe Mcnally introduces the use of multiple speedlights to create dynamic lighting in the field and the effect is just as good as a studio strobe....so, may I assume that one day the speedlight may just be as powerful as a studio strobe, causing these big lights to go obsolete. Further more, Nikon has made it so simple with the CLS. Everyone can do it, everyone can make great pictures. (Taking into consideration that one has to put in effort). Photography in the future may just be everybody's game. Competing with people all over the world.

Another interesting observation made by one of the CSers whom I have met. We were at the "Nu You longest cat walk" event. There was an area barricaded for the official photographer (or professional photographer, if you will). And there was this group of CSers lining just outside that barricade fence. Guess what, our CSers are using 5DMKII, Nikkor 200mm f/2.0 lens and many L lenses. While the people at the back, barricaded area are using 5D and 24mm - 105mm f/4 L lens (correct me on the lens range, as I am not a canon user). The investment of our CSers is larger then the pros.

So this CSer said, the ones that are outside the fence looks cheapskate but they are holding the most expensive gears, as compared to the pros who had the best position but gears not as outstanding as our CSers (Of course, I know that having good gear doesn't equates to good picture). And I am sure some of our fellow CSer(s) take wonderful images or maybe as good as the pros behind them...

The point that I am trying to make here is that the line between Pros and hobbyist are graying...it will be even more so in the future. Free-lancing, TFCDs & etc may put stress to the people who are really earning a living in this field.

P.S: I am studying MBA now, so trying to put some perspective on my learning. I maybe writing a thesis on this.

Last edited:
It has already happened in stock photography. The big players are setting up production houses to churn out volume output with fast turn around.

The largest stock photo supplier Getty calls its contributers "content providers" instead of photographers.

We don't have emotional attachment to our images or any artistic pretension. It's business pure and simple.

Those who make it will have stream-line workflow and highly organised production techniques. And they harness technology cleverly.

Indeed. Thanks for sharing.

OMG...this is getting out of hand...

*lunas is picking up 2 X ABC black stout beer bottles and ready to smash them into Del_CtrlnoAlt & Dream Merchant. (This is kopitiam.) :bsmilie:
Please back to the main topic.

1 len, 2 lens and many lenses :bsmilie:

*lunas smashes 1 x ABC black stout beer bottles into Harry Potter's head...Harry Potter has a bloody head now...Harry Potter was shocked and run for his life...

lunas shouted:"Get out of here, if you want to OT."

:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Reported in Digital Life yesterday. More than 71,000 DSLRs were sold in Singapore last year. Of cos tourists would've contributed to the figures, but I think significant amount are bought for local use :bigeyes:

Reported in Digital Life yesterday. More than 71,000 DSLRs were sold in Singapore last year. Of cos tourists would've contributed to the figures, but I think significant amount are bought for local use :bigeyes:

Recently many of my classmates also buying or beginning to get interested in buying DSLR. All of these group have never touch a traditional SLR before, meaning first time photographers.

DSLR has attracted lots of first time shooters.

Recently many of my classmates also buying or beginning to get interested in buying DSLR. All of these group have never touch a traditional SLR before, meaning first time photographers.

The price and hip factor of DSLR has made it a 'cool' choice amongst teenagers nowadays, even those not into photography. Be it to look nice/pro infront of others, or on the false illusion that DSLR = good pics, many have gone this direction. Amongst my friends, in the past 2 years or so, I can see a large jump of DSLR users too.

Also I think that more people whom wanted to try their hands at photography, but was held back by the $$ issue, are also having a go at it now.

Wah piang eh, students nowadays is sibeh rich. I never even dream about having such a hobby when I'm studying....simply out of my league at that time.

Last edited:
Well, times have changed. I believe photography has indeed become so common place and that the border between hobbyist and professional has grayed significantly. And the pace of technology, be it in the camera itself or in mass communications, marketing strategies, mindset and relative buying power of the population are some of the main driving factors. Cameras, be it SLR or PnS, in the film era have a much longer product life-cycle than now. The pace of technology has shortened their life-cyle to like 12-18months before replacement or augmented models are released into the market. The wired generation, being tech-saavy and being able to obtain information at a mouse-click, are exposed to the "BUY BUY BUY" message that the marketing people are putting out everywhere. I really don't remember seeing much camera adverts in the late 90's and early 2000's. And people's mindset towards gadgets have changed. Gadgets are somehow a must-have nowadays. To some, being poor is not being unable to feed oneself, it is being unable to own the latest gadget. And this may be due to the higher levels of relative buying power of the population. Just look at the widespread ownership of gadgets like handphones and DSLR among students. Disclaimer though, whatever said is purely speculation and from personal obervations without backing of proper research.

i think it works both ways. If it becomes that 'commoditised' then any Lee, Kua or Yaw can do his own photography - why then would they want to engage photographers, no matter how cheap?

The only way to block them is to start issuing licenses - doctor license, hawker license and now photographer license.

However I do not think this is an issue if you look at the output of the professional photographers. If you can produce photographs like them, you will always have a job. Though how much you can earn is another matter as more and more talented photographers are chasing the same corporate jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.