Do you shoot with hood for macro lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

code

Jan 9, 2005
Wondering if the sigma 105mm and tamron 90mm flare easily such that the hood is necessary? I know the front element for the canon 100 macro is quite near the front and therefore is more prone to flare.

Any one? Esp those with the sigma 105mm? I am thinking of getting one 2nd hand but the seller lost the hoold. Do you really need the hood?

Thanks in advance for any advice

always use a hood whenever possible. where it is not practical, you may consider using a black cardboard of desired size to act as a flag to 'block' stray lights into the lens.

thanks reachme. I'm just wondering if the sigma 105mm lens in particular really require hood to shoot? Does it have any flare issue?

Hood reduces flare, protects your lenses from knocks/bumps/itchy fingers. Use it whenever you can, unless your equipment is company sponsored (like press) and equipment care is not a priority

someone just informed me that there is no hood for the non-DG version of Sigma 105mm (only for the newer DG version). No wonder the seller can't find it.

cannot comment, never use this lens before.

code said:
thanks reachme. I'm just wondering if the sigma 105mm lens in particular really require hood to shoot? Does it have any flare issue?

code said:
someone just informed me that there is no hood for the non-DG version of Sigma 105mm (only for the newer DG version). No wonder the seller can't find it.

I've the EX series sigma AF 105MM macro, the hood is screw-on type(metal). The front element is recessed into the body so if you are not using UV filter or whatever filters on it, the hood is not necessary. For me, I put on a UV filter so have to use the screw-on hood.

code said:
Wondering if the sigma 105mm and tamron 90mm flare easily such that the hood is necessary? I know the front element for the canon 100 macro is quite near the front and therefore is more prone to flare.

i don't use a hood for 90mm tamron..it's not that i don't care about my equip, just that the hood is so big that sometimes it blocks out the light when you need to get close for macro shots..

code said:

Nevermind about the hood, I think your sigma macro lens front element usually deep in and not like those normal lenses where their front elements are right in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.