Do you shoot with a hood?

Do you shoot with a lens hood?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, 53% said they always use hood...I am surprised.

I would have thought the majority would be sometime yes.. sometime no.. depending.....

I am an idiot too if that's defined by some early writer.

There is no need if I am taking social pictures, just imagine puting on the 24-70 f2.8L big hood and walk the whole afternoon...but if u are a pros and that is quite a different story.

So...taking all 100% shots with the hood is also an idiot.... :bsmilie:

A technical answer is yes but my answer to the survey is sometime..depending...

Amfibius said:
original.jpg

Not an award winning picture, but a good example of what can happen if you don't use a hood. This was a drive-by shooting. Was in my car when I drove past the cow. Asked my girlfriend to give me my camera and I quickly shot the picture before driving off. No hood attached.

Picture is ruined. Contrast is down, detail is lost. Yes yes I know there are a lot of problems with the picture as well - bad composition, distracting barb wire and tree branch ... but I wanted a picture to demonstrate flare and I got it.

I have very few pictures like this in my collection. It's not as if I don't make mistakes - I usually just delete them straight away. This one somehow managed to survive (forgot to delete it).

Having a hood will not solve all your flare problems. It gives you more latitude to compose. Compose badly, and you will still get flare.

I don't use hood at all and I know i'm not an idiot (at least I have my wife thinks i'm not) :) I don't shoot in RAW and my pictures turn out quite well. I don't edit my photos much and people still likes them. And surprise surprise I sure don't use custom curves. Just guess you can't achieve this without hood, RAW and PS.

So sad (comforts). Its true that you have to maximise your investments, just that some of us don't. A hood does not make a hell lot of difference or it'd be priced incredibly. What is important is your left and right eye.

Guys, whoever is newbie, don't be influenced by this guy saying that you are an idiot if you don't use the hood. Keep your hood at homes if you are not comfortable in using it ;)

I am an idiot too... i never shoot with hoods nowadays....
It attracts attention like hell and makes changing filters difficult (esp CIR-PL and color filters)
All my lens hoods are sitting in their boxes now. :sweatsm:

i am an idiot cos i dont use hood. and i dont give a hood about it!

1) not much space in bag.
2) using hand hood in glaring position.
3) i am a very rough person.

:embrass:

Flare said:
Hood?!? Flare???
Someone calling me?

Chill lah brothers

(Hmmm... my avatar got a huge flare on it, think I forgot the Hood... ;p )

now thats funny :bsmilie:

Why suddendly so many people claimed to be idiot.

Criteria to be idiot for this is
1)You have a hood for the lens
2)have enough time to put it on
3)don't like flare
4)and yet don't want to use hood

i had the hood attached to my lenses n use in almost every bright daylight shots.

I'm a newbie, I don't have a hood. Don't mind me asking, what kind of hood should I get for a Nikon Manual 50mm lens? How much will it cost?

Norest said:
I'm a newbie, I don't have a hood. Don't mind me asking, what kind of hood should I get for a Nikon Manual 50mm lens? How much will it cost?

Its the one with the 52mm filter diameter right? Tonnes of 3rd party rubber hood that works. Some fixed in size, some can extend/contract. Think I got mine (extendable for 35mm to 80mm lens) for less than $10 long time ago. You can walk into TCW/CP/AP/MS and just ask - sure have something lying around that will work.

Original hood is darn ex tho: Canon lens hood is impossibly ex, like USD27+ for the 50mm hood :devil:

I use a hood simply because my primary lens comes with a hood, so it is on my lens all the time. And I think it looks better too. ;p

Flare said:
Hood?!? Flare???
Someone calling me?

Chill lah brothers

(Hmmm... my avatar got a huge flare on it, think I forgot the Hood... ;p )

Hi Flare...

I think your flare is nice... lol... I think new members cannot vote in polls right??? (I cannot vote :cry: )

I do not shoot with hood mostly... and use it if I only want to prevent lights distortion (is this the right term?????)......

But I think flare can be quite naturals at times...... and enhance the picture.... ;p

RULES IN PHOTOGRAPHY

What are the rules in photography???

Must use hood or IQ is low???

I think should not be like this...

Photography is an ART... "ART have no form..." and should never have... just perspective....

MUST BE IN FOCUS????
I think out of focus can be fun and nice too.....

The only RULE i think in photography should be...

Pressing the trigger, and try to hold the hand still.... (unless you trying funky things) :)

Hood to reduce flare? Hood or no hood, there are ways to reduce flare, eg holding a sheet of paper in the direction of the sun. With hood on, doesn't means that flare can be prevented.

eric69 said:
Hood to reduce flare? Hood or no hood, there are ways to reduce flare, eg holding a sheet of paper in the direction of the sun. With hood on, doesn't means that flare can be prevented.

just wondering hor... those sites reviewing lenes... sometimes the author tend to make comments like... this lens have a problem with flare... Just wondering when they do review do they use hood a not... :dunno:

idor said:
just wondering hor... those sites reviewing lenes... sometimes the author tend to make comments like... this lens have a problem with flare... Just wondering when they do review do they use hood a not... :dunno:

i believe it is without hood. in that way, the anti-flaring ability of any multicoating on the lens itself can be put to test. that way its more accurate for the review.

amfibius, either you have succumbed to the lure of humane emotion portrayal, or you do not see the truth in grey, instead of black or white.

Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.