Do it yourself mobile studio with Canon 580 ex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Nov 27, 2004
Australia
I'm exploring some options due to budgetary limits....

I saw a few tutorials recently on how to set up your own difusers using PVC tubing and it worked great for me. The also came up with some ideas on how to make stands out of PVC tubing to set your 580 ex up on.

Does this sound feasible... owning two 580 ex's and making a stand for each of them about wasit to chest height, and being able to add a lightsphere or diffuser as normal but with the use of a radio transmitter, being able to use them as a mobile studio lighting set-up without having to purchase larger lighting hardware like those in alien-bees for example? Does this sound like it would work?

Cheers
Cyrus

Your setup should work, the main problem is that your handheld flash will have a longer recharge time than studio strobe flash, and if u continue to use it, the handheld flash will get "very hot".

It will work of course, but recharge rates are definitely slower. You also lose out on the option of the many accessories unless you DIY them. For some shots, power may also not be enough. Changing batteries is quite an hassle too. Considering that the 580EX cost so much, you can actually get a 600W strobe at that price liao.

Status
Not open for further replies.