Do I need a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the Clevo is a better catch....quadcore....and around $3k nia ;p
:thumbsup:
probably the best bet around in SG would be the Dell latest XPS 1730... c2d (sadly only a mobile c2d), 2gb ram (expandable to 4gb at a PRICE) and 2x 8700m with configuration up to 2x HDD. ;p
but not cheap either, cost close to 4k at factory settings

It really depends on the software you want to use.
If it's not available on the Mac, then you have to get the PC.

But otherwise, I recommend the Mac.
It's more expensive but know that you're spending your money to buy your time back.
You don't have to waste time troubleshooting software problems.

I have a Mac Mini for my sister.
0 minutes spent on troubleshooting for over 2 years.

It really boils down to your preference. Both mac and windows have its pros and cons. Perhaps you just want a mac?

One thing I noticed (in the past) when ever I went to pre-production houses like colour setters/seperators etc - they are always based on a PC platform, and they have to handle a mind-boggling amount of data on a daily basis. Some of them have the obligatory mac sitting in a corner, but the major workloads are handled on a PC platform. I'm guessing it's because of the speed/software availability and cost factors.

The deisgners, ad agencies and sound engineers tend to work on a Mac platform mainly because of ease of use and speed in operability (not processing speed), and the high-end film/multimedia guys have their own suits where the computer was nothing more than a control panel of sorts. I'm sure Ortega could shed some light or correct any misinformation here. :)

I guess Macs made it's headway in the design world because when they first hit the market, they were far by the easiest and most intuitive to use, and most idiot-proof platform to work on, but they were severely limited in terms of pure processing speed and of course, software costs due to the much lower usage of Macs as compared to the PC platform.

I just guessing - as many of you would realise, I quite the IT dufus.

Thanks F5user for the advise......didn't really know there is such a powerful lappy around......why not in SG...:what:

Do a search online... There are companies such as M-tech and sager which provide the same specs BUT are much more expensive. They're using the Clevo mobos/laptop architecture and mainly cater to crazy gaming nuts. M-tech supplies my company with lappies for lab & on-location work and that's how i heard about such a lappy. However, they cost a lot more if you ordered it from them. Do a trace and you'll eventually find the source in Taiwan. (muuuuch cheaper, esp with our strong dollar now)

Honestly, even the Mobile core 2 duo (santa rosa or not) would be MOOOORE than sufficient for your needs. We jacked up a P95 back (attached to a 501cm) for live shooting once and the c2duo mobile (2.0ghz, 2gb ram) handled the 200 mb RAW file conversions with ease. (it did get hot though.)

A dual 2ghz nowadays can handle more than you expect it to handle. People who say that speed is never enough don't really know what they are trying to achieve. I've a Quad 3ghz at home and I say that even dual 2ghz is more than enough. Computers nowadays have already surpass software requirements many times over.

I'm from a print press background, where everyday is a deadline. And trust me when I say that you feel safe when you're on a Mac during deadlines because the Mac just doesn't break. It just doesn't break, I'm speaking on the OS.

I can have 1.5gb ram on a Mac and 2gb ram on a PC doing the same stuff and the PC (WinXP) can tell me I run out of memory. Maybe Vista is better, but I nearly fainted with the security pop up boxes in Vista.

Think of this in an analogy...
You have a destination to go to. You have the money to take a bus or taxi there. Note that you do have the money here. So which one will you choose to bring you to your destination. And you only have to make this trip once.

One thing I noticed (in the past) when ever I went to pre-production houses like colour setters/seperators etc - they are always based on a PC platform, and they have to handle a mind-boggling amount of data on a daily basis. Some of them have the obligatory mac sitting in a corner, but the major workloads are handled on a PC platform. I'm guessing it's because of the speed/software availability and cost factors.

The deisgners, ad agencies and sound engineers tend to work on a Mac platform mainly because of ease of use and speed in operability (not processing speed), and the high-end film/multimedia guys have their own suits where the computer was nothing more than a control panel of sorts. I'm sure Ortega could shed some light or correct any misinformation here. :)

I guess Macs made it's headway in the design world because when they first hit the market, they were far by the easiest and most intuitive to use, and most idiot-proof platform to work on, but they were severely limited in terms of pure processing speed and of course, software costs due to the much lower usage of Macs as compared to the PC platform.

I just guessing - as many of you would realise, I quite the IT dufus.

actually the work stations are all mac based while the back end servers are PC based
in the past, if you gave them a PC file (in the past) they would not know what to do with it and would request that you convert it to an eps file before they cast for you.

btw how long ago are you talking about? 10 years? 20 years?
20 years ago i had a hard time getting my PC file to be output to films/bromide
anyone remembers bromide? :)

there were only 2 or 3 places that accepted PC files

I use the mac because you get speed and ease-of-use at the same time. Everything integrates nicely.

people who question the idea of getting a mac as juz a "want" probably never use a mac before. the ease of use and speed is way above windows. i converted to a mac laptop couple of months back and my desktop pc is now collecting dust. have to say that the office suite still works better in windows but other than dat, mac all the way.

also: if u are using photo editing programmes, dun worry about not having a dedicated card, cos these softwares dun required much graphic processing power. the dedicated card is more useful for 3D apps like games

actually the work stations are all mac based while the back end servers are PC based
in the past, if you gave them a PC file (in the past) they would not know what to do with it and would request that you convert it to an eps file before they cast for you.

btw how long ago are you talking about? 10 years? 20 years?
20 years ago i had a hard time getting my PC file to be output to films/bromide
anyone remembers bromide? :)

there were only 2 or 3 places that accepted PC files

Thanks for clearing that up Ortega. Probably like when the Mac Classic first came out. LOL!

Yeah, bromides. One of my ADs got creative and started to do contact prints of 3D objects on bromide film. The results were very interesting!

That and the never-ending rows of drafting tables and ultra-wide but shallow drawers for pantone films and Letraset transfers of all sorts, boxes of metal type-setting blocks, the almost always hidden but but never far away enough so that you don't get to smell the fumes air-brush and spray mount room, rows upon rows of cow gum and that hand-operated manual copying 'machine'. I forget the names of most of those machines, and processes like when you use the Pantone colour films to apply areas of colour to an art-work for presentation.

It would be fun to throw a young AD and Designer in one of those studios for a day or two and see how they get things done. LOL!

Thanks for clearing that up Ortega. Probably like when the Mac Classic first came out. LOL!

Yeah, bromides. One of my ADs got creative and started to do contact prints of 3D objects on bromide film. The results were very interesting!

That and the never-ending rows of drafting tables and ultra-wide but shallow drawers for pantone films and Letraset transfers of all sorts, boxes of metal type-setting blocks, the almost always hidden but but never far away enough so that you don't get to smell the fumes air-brush and spray mount room, rows upon rows of cow gum and that hand-operated manual copying 'machine'. I forget the names of most of those machines, and processes like when you use the Pantone colour films to apply areas of colour to an art-work for presentation.

It would be fun to throw a young AD and Designer in one of those studios for a day or two and see how they get things done. LOL!

omni crom or something like that

yeah or make them trace logos by hand and photocopy machine
only shows how old we are

Those were 'FUN' days though ... especially when everyone's rushing for a presentation! Instant hyper-tension!

after using mac, I find that windows a bit hard to use and not that user friendly.

after using mac, I find that windows a bit hard to use and not that user friendly.

i dun have such problems. i can still use my windows desktop as per normal.. 1 issue i have with using windows is on my bootcamp-ed MBP when i boot up windows. somehow the feel of a Mac lingers thr, n i keep pressing wrong hot keys. :bsmilie:

Thanks for the tips....

Do a search online... There are companies such as M-tech and sager which provide the same specs BUT are much more expensive. They're using the Clevo mobos/laptop architecture and mainly cater to crazy gaming nuts. M-tech supplies my company with lappies for lab & on-location work and that's how i heard about such a lappy. However, they cost a lot more if you ordered it from them. Do a trace and you'll eventually find the source in Taiwan. (muuuuch cheaper, esp with our strong dollar now)

Honestly, even the Mobile core 2 duo (santa rosa or not) would be MOOOORE than sufficient for your needs. We jacked up a P95 back (attached to a 501cm) for live shooting once and the c2duo mobile (2.0ghz, 2gb ram) handled the 200 mb RAW file conversions with ease. (it did get hot though.)

I can have 1.5gb ram on a Mac and 2gb ram on a PC doing the same stuff and the PC (WinXP) can tell me I run out of memory. Maybe Vista is better, but I nearly fainted with the security pop up boxes in Vista.

oh you got that too. my office pc with 2gig ram running xp runs out of resources so badly that i can't even open task manager. i have to close 1 or 2 windows before i task manager decides to run...and when i check i see 1gig+ memory available :dunno:

sadly no... (at that time, now maybe)

u can get it from a number of shops in the usa for slightly more ... i went through a retailer in taiwan.

Honestly, even the Current asus G90 series of laptops would run circles in performance around a Mac at 1/4 the price.

They likely last 1/4 of the time, also. I'm still using my PowerMac G3 that I bought in 1999 and most Mac users I know are still using machines as old, especially design and print houses in the U.S.A. A lot of people are still using Quark XPress 4.11, though it's changing, finally.

Anyway, I can't say that all Macs have been a bargain but the latest Macs are well-priced when you put them up against name brands. You're not just paying for hardware but you're paying for software also, as Mac OS X is subsidised by hardware sales.

To the TS: I wouldn't buy a MacBook for photo editing. The glossy display and high saturation distorts your perception. Those machines have just been upgraded but they're better for watching movies than for editing them.

The latest MacBook Pro has been updated to include an option for a 2.6 GHz processor, but it's more expensive to get there. If you can buy a refurbished machine, it's a much better deal, though I know you're dealing with Apple-authorised dealers, unless you buy from the online store.

The truth is that no one needs a certain machine. You could do your work on a 333 MHz machine with Linux and an old version of The GIMP but it wouldn't be pleasant. I choose to use Macs because the operating system doesn't get in the way of my productivity. My Windows machine spends 3 hours of the day updating virus definitions and scanning and the firewall is always asking for confirmation. That's safe but counterproductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.