DK-17M Viewfinder Magnifier on D800

thedarknight

Oct 22, 2009
Anybody used the DK-17M viewfinder magnifier on the D800? Does it really make the shooting experience much more shiok? lol.

"Officially Nikon lists the magnification for the DK-17M at 1.2X but it seems like a lot more than that in person. More importantly the DK-17M really makes a huge difference in the field making it much easier to see the finest detail in the viewfinder image to verify focus or sharpness." (Nikon DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece - Robert OToole Photography)

Some people say it makes a world of difference, while others (especially those with glasses) complain about it. Am thinking of getting one, so would love to see what others here think.

I am using a DK-17M with a DK-19 on my D800E. I have prescription eyeglasses which I seldom use as the degree is 150 on the right and 100 on the left side. It does help me compared to the stock viewfinder but I won't say that it makes a world of difference. I would say it helps and I don't regret buying it. I won't use it without the eyecup though

Hmm so in your opinion is it worth the 50-60 bucks ah?

Hmm so in your opinion is it worth the 50-60 bucks ah?

It's worth it. It's permanently screwed onto my D800E, and the viewfinder is big. $60 is worth it, it lasts as long as you use your camera, and will carry over to the next model probably.

Only thing is it juts out a little compared to the original. No biggie though.

Ok thanks for the advice guys!

Hi Darkknight,
I stopped using mine bec it's kinda hard to see all the viewfinder in one glance. U need to move your eye ball around. Kinda giddy for me :)

I use the DK-17M on my D800E only when I'm shooting birds because my telephoto lens is manual focus, and it's faster for me to focus when the target looks sharp than waiting for the focus confirmation dot to light up. The magnification helps improve my focusing accuracy. The downside is that it's harder to see the whole viewfinder, especially the readouts at the bottom. But then again I wear glasses, so normal-sighted people may not have this problem.

Thanks Kcchew for your comments

Hi Darkknight,
I stopped using mine bec it's kinda hard to see all the viewfinder in one glance. U need to move your eye ball around. Kinda giddy for me :)

akuma willing to sell yours? haha

I took it out because I could not see the entire frame, affecting my composition.
Yes, I am wearing prescription glasses too.

Don't think it is helpful when using AF lenses.
Even when I am using manual lenses I prefer to depend on the dot.

I have it on my D800E, use it all the time, and I love it!

Thanks Kcchew for your comments

akuma willing to sell yours? haha

Hi Darknight,
not selling at the moment..i ordered via Amazon last time. btw..i am also wearing glasses, so maybe it only affects those who wear specs.
i tend to shoot portrait more, so i would prefer to be able to see the whole frame with one look rather than glance here glance there..by then facial expression has changed or head has moved. i bought it bec the D800e has no good quality focussing screen...
cheers

Hmm seems like there is a discrepancy in user experience depending on whether one wears glasses!

Hmm seems like there is a discrepancy in user experience depending on whether one wears glasses!

For me, it makes me giddy, like looking through binoculars, so I didn't use the DK-17M.

My eyes aren't bright and sharp as they were before so I bought one, using it for micro shots most of the time. It helps with manual focus and close up shots as the image in the view finder is bigger.

Other than that I disliked it for normal / sports shooting as I can't see the camera information very well. I need to shift the camera about to see the information or I need to place my eyes very close to the viewfinder. The eye point relief is much lesser when the DK17M is used.

Tried it at NSC but didn't work for me. trade off for the 1.2x magification is having to literally move your eye around the viewfinder especially for the info at the bottom.

Hi, I used it on D700 and love it! Images appear closer to you and it is permanently on my cam now.
Btw, I don't wear glasses and I got it from Amazon. U can go to Amazon to read the reviews.