DJI's first foldable drone- Mavic

Deluxe kit seems to includes 2 extra batteries and loads of things.. Basic kit seems to be 999.

Now I am super confused. Will be getting one of them. Need something compact I can travel with.

thinking of starting Drone hobby...where can I get good deal on DJi locally?
Thanks

looks like a winner to me =)

Yeah man ... btw can we:

1) programme this to fly at a fixed height ?

2) programme this to fly slowly and do a timelapse ?

Thanks

There's a SDK. So yes technically you can programme it to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a SDK. So yes technically you can programme it to do that.
Then good leh ...

So, we can also program it to circulate around a building and to face the building ? thanks

btw, where to buy this in Singapore ?

Last edited:
wow. any bros buying this? I'm excited to get this online.

wow. any bros buying this? I'm excited to get this online.

You can pre order via Singapore apple online store (expected delivery in Nov) or the dji online store (mid Oct delivery)

I contacted DJI.

Good news, free shipping to Singapore

I have contacted DJI again.

They confirmed that there is no timelapse function in Mavic.

However, with the Mavic, you can click to take photo while it is flying. So what you can do is to manually snap/click to take photos every regualar interval ... lol

Btw, can we control it to fly sideways so that the video looks like a panning instead of the usual approach where the video recorded in like a "Zoom in" ...

Thanks

I have contacted DJI again.

They confirmed that there is no timelapse function in Mavic.

However, with the Mavic, you can click to take photo while it is flying. So what you can do is to manually snap/click to take photos every regualar interval ... lol

If you want timelapse, gopro will be easier.

Btw, can we control it to fly sideways so that the video looks like a panning instead of the usual approach where the video recorded in like a "Zoom in" ...

Thanks

It's a drone, you can pretty much move it in 3D space however you want, as long as it's within the laws of physics and the manufacturer's limits. ;p

But your terminology, I think there's some confusion. Which do you mean?

In cinematography, panning refers to rotating or pivoting a motion picture or video camera horizontally from a fixed position. This motion is similar to the motion a person makes when she turns her head on her neck from left to right. In the resulting image, the view seems to "pass by" the spectator as new material appears on one side of the screen and exits from the other, although perspective lines reveal that the entire image is seen from a fixed point of view.

The term panning is short for panorama, suggesting an expansive view that exceeds the gaze, forcing the viewer to turning her head to take everything in. Panning, in other words, is a device for gradually revealing and incorporating off-screen space into the image.

Panning should never be confused with "tracking" or "traveling," in which the camera is not just pivoted but is physically displaced left or right, generally by being rolled parallel to its subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_(camera)

A panning shot would be accomplished by simply rotating the drone in the same spot, no? Just like you would a camera on a tripod.

If you want to 'fly sideways', isn't that's a tracking shot? Like how you would move a camera on a slider (along a horizontal axis).

You could also combine the two, and do a pan while tracking haha

Last edited:
If you want timelapse, gopro will be easier.
you mean gopro + karma ?

It's a drone, you can pretty much move it in 3D space however you want, as long as it's within the laws of physics and the manufacturer's limits. ;p

But your terminology, I think there's some confusion. Which do you mean?

I think to illustrate what I want/meant, it's easier with visuals. Allow me to borrow pettypoh's timelapse video. I am referring to his motion circulating Ngee Ann City from 1:48 to 1:50. See this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhsn5YCWTE

A panning shot would be accomplished by simply rotating the drone in the same spot, no? Just like you would a camera on a tripod.
Not really. Not same spot. I want it to record circulating a fixed object in a closed C-curve path (not open C-curve). See above video 1:48 to 1:50.

NB: I just make up my terminology of open and closed C path.

Open C-curve = very easy, just rotate the fluid head on a tripod you can get it.

Closed C-curve = very difficult, you need to move the tripod/camera in a C-curve with the the static object as a centre point of curve ...

If you want to 'fly sideways', isn't that's a tracking shot? Like how you would move a camera on a slider (along a horizontal axis).
Yes, another of my want is to be able to move a camera on a slider (along a horizontal axis)but at a higher altitude (thus the drone)

Thanks

Not really. Not same spot. I want it to record circulating a fixed object in a closed C-curve path (not open C-curve). See above video 1:48 to 1:50.

NB: I just make up my terminology of open and closed C path.

Open C-curve = very easy, just rotate the fluid head on a tripod you can get it.

Closed C-curve = very difficult, you need to move the tripod/camera in a C-curve with the the static object as a centre point of curve ...

I think "arc shot" would describe what you're trying to explain.

The simple definition of an arc shot is a shot where the camera circles its subject. In an arc shot, the subject is typically still and the camera provides the motion, tracking around the subject in at least a semi-circle of movement.

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/cinema-terms-what-is-an-arc-shot-and-how-is-it-used

No need to make up your terminology where established terminology already exists, cos you'll be the only one who understands what you are saying :)

I think "arc shot" would describe what you're trying to explain.

No need to make up your terminology where established terminology already exists, cos you'll be the only one who understands what you are saying :)

Haha thanks kandinsky ... yeah man ... cannot think of a proper word when i was typing last night ... lol

But camera can move and record the inner arc or outer arc ... i am more interested in the inner arc which you correctly showed in the link ...

So back to my original question, can the mavic pro moves and record in such arc ?

Thanks

Last edited: