DIY Hot Shoe Cover for LX3

Status
Not open for further replies.

spEechLeZ

Apr 8, 2009
Singaporean in London
Hellos, don't know if this is considered duplicate posting (i posted this as a reply to the other hot shoe thread), but decided to share my DIY Hot shoe cover for LX3. Been reading that there's no stock etc, so if you want to save on a few bucks or just want a temporary solution to cover the hot shoe, here's a suggestion.

This is all you need:
- A good solid cardboard that's not too thick (beer cartons, cereal boxes etc)
- Stationery to cut the cardboard to size
- Good quality duct tape (any colour you like, even army style black tape also can )

P1000326.jpg

Measure the size that you want your hot shoe cover on the cardboard, I did mine approximately 1.6cm x 1.6cm coz the duct tape I'm using is quite thick. If your cardboard is too thin, then stick 2 or more pieces together. Use the duct tape and cut it long enough to same width and wrap round the cardboard in one direction. If you want, you can wrap all round in 2 directions. And this is what you get:

IMG_3731.jpg

Viola! Its splash proof, customisable size, and can be any colour you like. Recycle old cardboard, environmentally quite friendly too lol.
And you don't have to worry about losing it, just make loads of it at one go!

Anyone foresee any problems using this method? Or suggestions to improve on it? I know there's an ingenious laptop key idea going around, but I don't have a spare laptop and my mbp is too precious :p Wouldn't dare say this is a totally original idea, but didn't see anything similar going around the forums. Hope this helps!

wow this looks ingenious!

and it matches the camera colour too! will try it out when i have the time.

thanks for the idea!

Nice job!! I will be trying it out once I've got the time.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hellos, don't know if this is considered duplicate posting (i posted this as a reply to the other hot shoe thread), but decided to share my DIY Hot shoe cover for LX3. Been reading that there's no stock etc, so if you want to save on a few bucks or just want a temporary solution to cover the hot shoe, here's a suggestion.

This is all you need:
- A good solid cardboard that's not too thick (beer cartons, cereal boxes etc)
- Stationery to cut the cardboard to size
- Good quality duct tape (any colour you like, even army style black tape also can )

P1000326.jpg

Measure the size that you want your hot shoe cover on the cardboard, I did mine approximately 1.6cm x 1.6cm coz the duct tape I'm using is quite thick. If your cardboard is too thin, then stick 2 or more pieces together. Use the duct tape and cut it long enough to same width and wrap round the cardboard in one direction. If you want, you can wrap all round in 2 directions. And this is what you get:

IMG_3731.jpg

Viola! Its splash proof, customisable size, and can be any colour you like. Recycle old cardboard, environmentally quite friendly too lol.
And you don't have to worry about losing it, just make loads of it at one go!

Anyone foresee any problems using this method? Or suggestions to improve on it? I know there's an ingenious laptop key idea going around, but I don't have a spare laptop and my mbp is too precious :p Wouldn't dare say this is a totally original idea, but didn't see anything similar going around the forums. Hope this helps!

thank God..... at last .....someone with some common sense and without the BBB itch

good idea ! :thumbsup:

Hi!
may i just clarify, i went to john 3:16 today at funan to ask if they sell the hot shoe cover, however, they tell me if i cover the hot shoe, the flash wont be able to fire, is that true?

For mi I just use the Nikon hot shoe cover. It cost $3 with GST...:)

Hi!
may i just clarify, i went to john 3:16 today at funan to ask if they sell the hot shoe cover, however, they tell me if i cover the hot shoe, the flash wont be able to fire, is that true?

Haha... Dont tin so.. I had been using flash with hotshoe cover... The flash still fire...:)

below is my DIY shoe cover;

SDC11418.jpg

Hi!

Haha... Dont tin so.. I had been using flash with hotshoe cover... The flash still fire...:)

double clarify. Yes, its still able to fire. Same intensity as well.
Unless they are talking about external flash...then yes, confirm the external flash wont be able to fire off if you cover the hotshoe with cover instead.
:bsmilie:

Last edited:
double clarify. Yes, its still able to fire. Same intensity as well.
Unless they are talking about external flash...then yes, confirm the external flash wont be able to fire off if you cover the hotshoe with cover instead.
:bsmilie:

ya! i thought they meant that the external flash wont fire too. so i clarified what they meant and they mean to say that the inbuilt flash wont fire.

oh well, i guess they might be wrong then, i'll try this DIY hotshoe! thanks!

I paid $3 at MS Color AMK

I thought the market price is $3. but ended up paying $4 in CP...

CP is expensive for hotshoe cover..Go to AP, I got it at $2.

Status
Not open for further replies.