DIY Battery Pack for Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Big applause for meepokman for such a comprehensive walkthrough. :)

You really give us some great ideas.

AJ23 said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Big applause for meepokman for such a comprehensive walkthrough. :)

You really give us some great ideas.

Thank you AJ :embrass:

merely sharing with others what I did. Hope you guys benefit from this post

I just checked with Jeffrey, there used to be dummy batteries in the local market. But no one brings it in nowadys due to small demand. Thus, you can either make your own dummy battery, order from overseas or try to source for the remaining dummies left over from the old stocks.

meepokman said:
I just checked with Jeffrey, there used to be dummy batteries in the local market. But no one brings it in nowadys due to small demand. Thus, you can either make your own dummy battery, order from overseas or try to source for the remaining dummies left over from the old stocks.

fyi - i did a search on the net. so far, only come across a site in UK dat sells it. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=261&TabID=1&C=SearchEngine&U=StaticPages

nightwolf75,

the Quantum MA2 module cord is aligned in a square format. Just need to check out the arrangement of your batts to see if suitable. I know cos I have one.

So may not need to worry too much. Only it is a little ex. as mentioned.

Regards.

nightwolf75 said:
*BLEAH*.... i was talking to the lady staff at ruby. she flipped thru her entire quantum stock book and can't find a match. she said most probably the flash too new for quantum to reverse engineer it.

my AAs are aligned in a square format. no external power cord like the 550EX or ur nikon flash. darn... does dat mean i'm screwed? i hope ur contact, jeffrey, can work his magic?? :sweat:

ok. have checked my flash battery compartment. It looks like this after insert battery.
- +
+ -

so if your flash have same config, no need to worry.

dreamseeker said:
ok. have checked my flash battery compartment. It looks like this after insert battery.
- +
+ -

I think nightwolf is crossing his fingers right now :sweatsm:

Eh tah-mee man

It's excellent you're taking the time to share with the folks here your DIY 6V pack.

Here's two that I did up a very long time ago:

First one here is made using the same Hawker Cyclons found in the QB1+

IMG_6955.jpg

IMG_6956.jpg

It's small and compact. The case is a Lowepro phone pouch.

The second one is made from the smallest Yuasa 1.2Ah SLA (I think it's either 1.2 or 1.5Ah) brick you can find. The yellow pouch comes from the shitty Converse messenger bag I bought recently. Else it used to be in the same Lowepro pouch as the bigger capacity unit.

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6958.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

................continued next post

Both together with my Nokia phone for size reference:

IMG_6962.jpg

The best charger in my opinion for 6V SLA batteries you can buy in Singapore - the Vanson BC 6500. It fast charges then goes to float charge automatically. You can leave it plugged in until you want to use the battery.

IMG_6963.jpg

This is what I used as a dummy battery last time for my Vivitar 285HV strobe (usable with the Sunpak 120J too):

IMG_69651.jpg

I made it from some discarded timber found in the rubbish dump at the factory where I used to do manual labour. Use thumbtacks as terminals. Terminate everything in an RCA jack like the Quantum cable, but this thing is less than $2 :bsmilie:

I think i have a simple battery monitor circuitry some where stashed on my shelves. It is one of those 4 or 5 LEDs circuit from green to yellow to red to show the battery status.

I'll post it once I find it. But to respect IP rights. The circuit is not designed by me.

Frankly I find weight and size to be quite the consideration which was why I adopted the "must be small enough to fit into the stupid black Lowepro handphone pouch" principle.

The bonus with the handphone pouch direction is that you get a belt loop (though strangely I never wore either one on my belt) and the whole DIY thing looks very presentable because the pouch is nice and no one can see what the hell kinda battery you have in there :what: (please note, I am NOT talking about the butt ****ing ugly yellow pouch, just the black one ;-))

These packs used to drive either my Vivitar 285HV, my Sunpak 120J or my Olympus Camedia digicams that used 4AAs (I made another cable for digicam use). Nowadays, I use either a Quantum Turbo or a Lumedyne Minicycler - big mothers but very fast.

The smaller Yuasa pack was like an emergency battery supply for when I went to give digicam classes and forgot to charge the AAs. ;-)

BTW, the connector on the Yuasa battery is simply epoxied on the battery casing. It's a very strong joint.

Also, I feel that ON/OFF switches are TOTALLY REDUNDANT. They are totally unnecessary for these packs.

Finally, I can't give a crap about battery gauges for these things because I know how many flashes I am going to get with either pack and I rarely ever consume up all the charge anyway! And then, with lead acid cells, you absolute should recharge them immediately after use to prolong their integrity so I know I always have a full pack whenever I go out.

This last one I made with 5 AA size Sanyo industrial Ni-Mh batteries connected in series (you can use any AA rechargeable cells - but Sanyo, they're the best). Again terminated in an RCA connector. It's charged using a RC model car type charger which charges this pack in less than half an hour or so.

IMG_6967.jpg

This one used to sit like that on top my 285HV flash unit (using Velcro). It gives slightly higher than 6V when fully charged and with Ni-Mh, the recycling is much faster than with alkaline AAs (and faster than with just 4AA Ni-Mh). It's smaller than a pack of cigarettes, well almost. ;p

sure.. no battery meters then...

Anyway, the on/off switch isn't all that redundant to me. Switching the battery pack OFF before plugging in will ensure that sparks do not arc across from the power source to your equipemnt when connecting them. Arcs are high voltage in nature and may kill any transistor or IC chips. This is the reason that most power adaptors/ chargers have this big round bulge (or plastic can) on the wire near the plug to 'arrest' these arcs. It is just a safety mechanism to protect your equipment.

yanyewkay said:
sure.. no battery meters then...

Anyway, the on/off switch isn't all that redundant to me. Switching the battery pack OFF before plugging in will ensure that sparks do not arc across from the power source to your equipemnt when connecting them. Arcs are high voltage in nature and may kill any transistor or IC chips. This is the reason that most power adaptors/ chargers have this big round bulge (or plastic can) on the wire near the plug to 'arrest' these arcs. It is just a safety mechanism to protect your equipment.

That's a good point but, in my opinion, with these batteries, they are not exactly high current nor high voltage so it doesn't matter so much. No lah, arcing, I have not seen yet with these packs. And I have used them for years.

But yes, I guess an ON/OFF switch can be somewhat useful and applicable if you can think of a reason to want to use one.

(Then again, few people I have come across on the net would bother with one for DIY low voltage packs unless you're talking about building your own 330V battery unit. ;))

Hey!
Those tamiya cars used to come with dummy AA batteries rite?
I remembered using them...

dreamseeker said:
- +
+ -

hi, dreamseeker!

YES!! dats how my sigma flash batts are arranged!! :cheergal:

so, where can i buy the MA2 module cord??

(meepok - yeah! got hope already!! i was calculating the cost to ship in over to singapore.... *BLEAH*... UK got a lot of taxes sia... :sweat: )

WAH!

I think we must crown Kahheng as the king of DIY batteries :D

Nightwolf, im crossing my fingers for you. WOrse to come, you use a waste wood as dummy batteries just like Kahheng loh......
(then you can make more then sell :p)

meepokman said:
WAH!

I think we must crown Kahheng as the king of DIY batteries :D

Nightwolf, im crossing my fingers for you. WOrse to come, you use a waste wood as dummy batteries just like Kahheng loh......
(then you can make more then sell :p)

*BLEAH*.... i fail technical when i was in sec2... :embrass:

i think i shld go and hunt for dat module cable. wonder where got sell?? :think:

lol

aiyah... not asking you to build a camera from scratch :p build a dummy battery sure can one la....

the cable will be the least of your worry...im sure jeffrey will be able to help you with it.

*you going down seed today izit?*

meepokman said:
lol

aiyah... not asking you to build a camera from scratch :p build a dummy battery sure can one la....

the cable will be the least of your worry...im sure jeffrey will be able to help you with it.

*you going down seed today izit?*

heehee... u dunno the joke in my sec school last time.... i never need to put my name on the stuff we make in the workshop. becos i can never learn to saw or cut straight, my teacher never have a problem picking out my crap... :bsmilie:

yeah. going SEED tonite. need to show-and-tell session to a fren on my tamron 90mm. will u be dropping by too?

Status
Not open for further replies.