[ Discussion ] Possible Photowalk Estates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portsdown Road - many black and white houses amidst lush greenary and a railway track. Best to go early morn when still misty and sun just shining through. Can also be reached via Tanglin Halt near indian temple by crossing railway track

Then we can lunch at Colbar!

I thought I should give loads of priority to any areas that are on en bloc list or tearing down list.
They are the ones that deserve high priority for archival shoots.

Portsdown area are not visitor friendly. They really don't like people poking around their front yard. I have had cases where cops were called when we were shooting there. Colbar makan sounds wicked though.

another place can consider is the old seletar camp. there are some old housing there when i shoot with the sembawang gang. lot's of old house there.

another place can consider is the old seletar camp. there are some old housing there when i shoot with the sembawang gang. lot's of old house there.

Then we can go eat Buffalo Wings at Sunset Grill!

Holy cow, this is starting to turn into a gourmet thread. lol :bsmilie:

Holy cow, this is starting to turn into a gourmet thread. lol :bsmilie:

Err... photowalks followed by good food has always been the thing for us what... :bsmilie:
What cow you think is holy, as long as it taste good on our plates, is a good cow... now surrender it!

Current suggested list for photowalks in the future :

1. Toa Payoh Estate (probably spend 2-4 weekends there. Estate not that small to cover in one weekend).
2. Kampung Bahru Hill Estate (have a year to go, and I will be writing to residents to allow us to shoot into
the house, maybe one more weekend to cover everything carefully).
3. Whampoa Estate. (any intel anyone?)
4. Jalan Besar Housing Estate.
5. Owen Road Housing Estate.
6. Jalan Bukit Merah. (no rush, all damage done already).
7. Bukit Ho Swee Housing Estate. (refurb a while back. no rush too).
8. Sembawang area. (anyone have any intel?)
9. Katong/ Marine Parade.
10. Joo Chiat (kinda nice to capture all the sleaze joint before they are all gone. But to shoot at night,
we better go in very small groups in cars.)
11. Changi, near jetty. (what's there?)
12. Changi Village (looks really old the last time I went there).
13. Haig Road (what's there?)
14. Neo Tiew (does this place exist? ha ha ha, I didn't even know this place, thanks for sharing YZ).
15. Jalan Kayu (will not change for a while, no rush).
16. Geylang Lorong (shooting the red light district, SMALL GROUPS ONLY, DANGEROUS).
17. Commonwealth behind New Town Pri Sch. (danger of en bloc?)
18. Portsdown Road. (Colbar lunch/ dinner already sounding very good).
19. Old Seletar Camp. (I miss that place).

Dear community, please continue to suggest and maybe add to this list, so that we can be a little more
organised. Is that ok to ask? Comments in brackets please whenever possible. In RED should a place be in
danger of en bloc/ demolition.

Thank you.

The HDB flats are Zion Road are going to be en bloc.

1. Toa Payoh Estate (probably spend 2-4 weekends there. Estate not that small to cover in one weekend).
2. Kampung Bahru Hill Estate (have a year to go, and I will be writing to residents to allow us to shoot into
10. Joo Chiat (kinda nice to capture all the sleaze joint before they are all gone. But to shoot at night,
14. Neo Tiew (does this place exist? ha ha ha, I didn't even know this place, thanks for sharing YZ).
16. Geylang Lorong (shooting the red light district, SMALL GROUPS ONLY, DANGEROUS).
20. Zion Road/Havelock Road HDB Estate. (en bloc notice served, some moved out already).
21. Ghim Moh Road HDB Estate (en bloc notice served, some moved out already).

Dear community, please continue to suggest and maybe add to this list, so that we can be a little more
organised. Is that ok to ask? Comments in brackets please whenever possible. In RED should a place be in

Thank you.

Last edited:
22. Kampong Lorong Buangkok (if this is considered an estate too). Just be careful of the dogs. I haven't been there before and would love to go there for a shoot.

I thought I should give loads of priority to any areas that are on en bloc list or tearing down list.
They are the ones that deserve high priority for archival shoots.

Portsdown area are not visitor friendly. They really don't like people poking around their front yard. I have had cases where cops were called when we were shooting there. Colbar makan sounds wicked though.

went at night (8pm) a couple of weeks back to shoot, no problems.

bro the old seletar camp camp housing area has been closed already. confirmed by my sembawang bros.

Most of the estate has undergone upgrading. Interesting locations will be Blk 75 - 76 at Whampoa Drive and the shop houses along Kim Keat Road. There is a traditional bakery near the junction of Whampoa Drive and Balestier Road. Along Balestier Road between Kim Keat Road and Hotel 81 Balestier, there is a traditional Coffee Powder shop, bird food shops and also a 1970s style dental clinic. Suggest a morning photowalk followed by a night shoot (2 sessions).

22. Kampong Lorong Buangkok (if this is considered an estate too). Just be careful of the dogs. I haven't been there before and would love to go there for a shoot.

Some of the dogs can get aggressive, do keep up some some pebbles to throw at them and they will run off, or make friends with Brownie, the resident friendly dog. The residents there are quite friendly and will share some tales about the kampung if you ask. Watch out for black cobras and pythons when you are there. Suggest a morning shoot, jalan kayu is just a few bus stops away.

Portsdown... its like going back to work all over again..:sweat:

Last edited:

Most of the estate has undergone upgrading. Interesting locations will be Blk 75 - 76 at Whampoa Drive and the shop houses along Kim Keat Road. There is a traditional bakery near the junction of Whampoa Drive and Balestier Road. Along Balestier Road between Kim Keat Road and Hotel 81 Balestier, there is a traditional Coffee Powder shop, bird food shops and also a 1970s style dental clinic. Suggest a morning photowalk followed by a night shoot (2 sessions).

I can smell the chow-tar bread layer liao. :flame:

I can smell the chow-tar bread layer liao. :flame:

insider tip, if you are in the area around midnight, do pop by the bakery (no 4 whampoa dr i think) around 1am. the red bean paste buns will be freshly out of the oven around that time...really good stuff

Hi all, I saw from the papers that Queenstown Prison is closing down? Got any plans on covering this building? :think:

Hi all, I saw from the papers that Queenstown Prison is closing down? Got any plans on covering this building? :think:

Access might be a problem though. Even though the building might be decommissioned.

Anyone have any idea about these things? Apply with Home Affairs?

** Kampung Bahru Hill Estate (have a year to go, and I will be writing to residents to allow us to shoot into
20. Zion Road/Havelock Road HDB Estate. (en bloc notice served, some moved out already).
21. Ghim Moh Road HDB Estate (en bloc notice served, some moved out already).

Thank you.

** = Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.