Discrimination towards dSLR Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the top 10 league in Asia.
Trying so hard to be #1 so they must keep a low profile i guess.
Anyway, i dont think photography is not allowed.
I did once at Hougang Stadium w/o any problems...

Probably there are only 10 participating countries and probably we are the last among the list. Yeah, that makes us Top 10 without doubts! :thumbsup:

Nonetheless, I can understand that frustration. When you have to compromise becos of other people's incompetency, it can be rather annoying. The best you can do is to drop an complaint to FAS and see what they reply.

hai no offense but s-leg is really hopeless...5-0 to liverpool really show our standards...

To really say this discrimination is just insane. Singapore management has something against DSLR. I tested taking a picture at a certain shopping center with my dslr I got chased out. I then retried with a LX3 and nothing happens even though the security walk right pass me lol. Maybe we should all get EP-1 and shoot around lol.

On a side note, they want to restrict photography of spectators in a soccer match hmm. I think FAS really just want S-League to silently dissappear haha.

In anycase, there is a kind of "discrimination" with people having DSLRs. They think they are "pros". I've been to places when I pull out a DSLR, they tell me I cannot take pictures, so I ask if it is ok if it is a small compact camera, and they say it is ok :confused:

With more and more people owning DSLRs, I think there should be a change in perception... plus with advancement in technology, the size of DSLRs are also shrinking, and the potential of PnS cameras are increasing.

In anycase, there is a kind of "discrimination" with people having DSLRs. They think they are "pros". I've been to places when I pull out a DSLR, they tell me I cannot take pictures, so I ask if it is ok if it is a small compact camera, and they say it is ok :confused:

With more and more people owning DSLRs, I think there should be a change in perception... plus with advancement in technology, the size of DSLRs are also shrinking, and the potential of PnS cameras are increasing.

Nice one :bsmilie: :sweatsm:

I think you should write in to a paper and to S-league management. Whether or not they want to prohibit photography in matches, I think it's better to have them state their stand clearly in public rather than for photographers to be treated like criminals when there could be no basis to.

I think you have a few good points that can bolster your case:

- You're a local football fan supporter, and I don't think they want to lose a fan. So prefix your letter with this.
- There are no rules stated on the ticket or anywhere stating that photography is prohibited, but do double check to make sure that is correct
- You mention that they're stopping you because you seem to be using a "professional" camera. It's time to let them know that DSLRs are so cheap these days anyone could buy one if they don't mind the bulk
- Some of the fellow CSers have shot before without problem, why the different treatment?
- Ultimately, you could pose a question to the rationale behind the no-photography-with-professional-looking-camera. It will be good to hear what they want to say about it.

Do keep the letter to the paper short and concise though, 150-200 words maximum.

I think the security personnel is the one not updated with the latest infos.
bcos as far as i know, the security personnel are just volunteers employed by the club itself.
not related to s-league management i guess.
maybe u need to write the letter to the club as well.

Last edited:
Anyone has the same problem at F1?

I would like to say that if it is not clear from the T&Cs on the ticket that photography is not allowed; then by imposing an additional condition on the spot, the ticket seller has breached the contract.

Yes, he may have the right to evict you if he wants to, but you can then ask the security people if they are willing to face legal exposure for breach of contract.

It is the same situation as taking photos in a restaurant after your meal arrives.

dSLR is getting so cheap nowadays and every Tom, Dick and Harry have the ability to own one but that doesnt make them a professional. This shows how ignorant and stereotype people can get.

I like this! Which is very true!!

Well, for my own experience, I went to Cheer Chen's concert in Kallang Indoor Stadium and it's the same, only PnS is allowed inside despite there is one session when Cheer will ask everyone to take out the camera and take picture... If you have dSLR, sorry you are not allowed to bring in the camera!!

One way to sidestep these issues (of not being allowed to do photography). Just ask them for their name and say that you wanna write a letter to the appropriate institution/office to seek clarification on the issue of photography being banned.The responsibility now is on the person when u use this trick. Once a security told me photography is not allowed within the building. After much arguing, i asked for his name and told him of my intent. He told me to wait, ran away for 10min and came back telling me it is okie as he went to clarify the matters with management.

Anyway Singaporeans have got a unique way of verifying your level of skills in your chosen interests. For photog, it is ur cam. For weekend warriors, it is the model of your soccerboots. For cyclists, the brand and model of your bicycles. You got a fierce looking car with lots of stickers on it, you must be a hardcore street racer. They dun look at you. They look at ur equipment.

Last edited:
I've once taking pictures of ppl playing futsal at hdb futsal court. It's not even an event and it's a normal day just tryin out my setting. I was approach and ask y am I taking pictures of them playing and I explained to them that I'm just tryin out my newly aquire camera and I'm a newbie. I wan told not to con't taking pictures anymore w/o valid reason as I told them it is a public place right and y am I not allow to take pictures? Is that an offence that I'm tryin out my camera on them. Y are they feeling threaten I'm not to sure but they told me to stop or else....:dunno: well not wanting to create problem I've stop and walk away.... I think most ppl feel threaten by our present wif DSLR camera as they tot they will appear in newpaper or we are using it for a complaint. Well that's show how typical ppl thinking can get...:think:

Well, we ca't really blame them for not letting us take photos especially at the organizer or the security personnel sight. They were just doing their job. I once took photos and encountered same problem. The security personnel let me go. Few mins later, one of the organizer bombarded the guard for his action. I felt so bad after that. I personally deleted the images in front of them after that. It's not a nice feeling to get someone in trouble just for own little interest. That's how I feel. From that on, I shoot stealth.

I've once taking pictures of ppl playing futsal at hdb futsal court. It's not even an event and it's a normal day just tryin out my setting. I was approach and ask y am I taking pictures of them playing and I explained to them that I'm just tryin out my newly aquire camera and I'm a newbie. I wan told not to con't taking pictures anymore w/o valid reason as I told them it is a public place right and y am I not allow to take pictures? Is that an offence that I'm tryin out my camera on them. Y are they feeling threaten I'm not to sure but they told me to stop or else....:dunno: well not wanting to create problem I've stop and walk away.... I think most ppl feel threaten by our present wif DSLR camera as they tot they will appear in newpaper or we are using it for a complaint. Well that's show how typical ppl thinking can get...:think:

as for your case, i think that stomp is partly the reason to as why they behave this way...

:think: perhaps the SeQ thought TS shooting the valuable $-league player & use the photos without copyright

:think: perhaps the SeQ thought TS shooting the valuable $-league player & use the photos without copyright
so buying a knife from the supermarket means one has the intention to murder another person?

i also encountered before at caltex house/change alley there a person with no security pass on him stopped us from taking photos. he claimed he was the security guard there but there was no pass on him and there was no sign that photography was not allowed. the best part was there was a big sign congratulating ntu graduates on their graduation and we were trying to take some graduation photographs (not sure if they asked ntu for permission to use the school's name either? lol). such irony and pretence. anyway, we stepped out of the boundary and shot from the public area towards the place he was gurading instead, should have seen the guard's lan lan suck thumb face.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for some useful advice..

Well, I think some of you did not read the whole thread or miss some points... I did not get the security personnel into any trouble.. IN fact, i feel the security personnel was under the instructions from the FAS lady... so the problems in fact lie with the management and not the security personnel.

My friend who is a hardcore S-League fans told me that the security personnel is employed by the club and even the FAS personnel at the matches are volunteers. So, i can understand why they are so paranoid.. cos they dont want to get themselves into trouble..

I dont think i will write to papers or complain to FAS this time round because I realise i did not get the names of any personnel which is to my disadvantage. Next time if i encounter the same problems, i will heed some of you brothers advice by asking for their name and tell them i will clarify with the higher management to "scare them".... haa.

I guess since the personnel are volunteers.. so they are not really synchronised in the rules of the matches... be it taking photos, bringing water bottles, smoking, etc (goes to show how professional our league is)... Different people have different standards and IGNORANCE... IN my case, i guess i am just SUAY to meet this IGNORANT lady who thinks that "having dSLR = pro"...

In fact, just an example of a stereotype that happened last night.. I was sitting at the Stands besides this little kid (probably Primary 1 or 2) happily taking photos with my D90.. then the kid kept looking at me and asked "you taking photo to put in newspaper ah???".. Haa.. Stereotype starts from young...

To answer one brother's question. I was just using a Nikon D90 with 18 - 105mm kit lens... my camera bag was just a small crumpler bag big enough for my dSLR only... How pro can i get???? hahahha...

dSLR is getting so cheap nowadays and every Tom, Dick and Harry have the ability to own one but that doesnt make them a professional. This shows how ignorant and stereotype people can get.

I totally agree and feel so angry for you.

And anyway, what is professional and what is unprofessional? There's no clear line is there? But one thing for sure, those organisers are not professional.

The lady continued to say that my camera looks professional and can take good photos.

see, its all ur fault.
tell them ur pics scuks n u r fine.
ego suffers but pics taking continue :)

Are you an ang mo ? If so, very sure this sort of thing will not happen to you.

Here is a maddening, yet interesting encounter that i had last night.

I was shooting with my Nikon D90 at the S-league match between Sengkang Punggol and Gombak United at Hougang Stadium last night. I was just shooting at the Grandstand area and did not even go anywhere near the tracks, less the pitch.

At half time, i was asked by a security personnel and a lady (presumably from FAS since she was sitting at the organising table) to stop taking photos. They said that no photography is allowed unless i have the media pass.

I told them that i was not taking at the pitch area and that i was just taking at the Grandstands and the photos are for my own use. I said this because i know we need media pass to have access to take photos at the pitch area.

They insisted that I am not allowed to take photos without a media pass even at the Grand Stand area. I asked them how do i apply for a media pass and they said i have to be working for the media. The lady continued to say that my camera looks professional and can take good photos. At this point, i was feeling agitated and told them that I am not a professional and that taking photos is just a hobby.

They continue to insist me not to take any photos and ask me to keep my camera. I did not want to argue with them so i just kept my camera, shook my head with disgust and went back to where i was seated. After that, i took out my camera and started snapping again.

After the match, i checked the ticket stub and there was no mention of "No Photography". There was no "No Photography" sign at the entrance or anywhere in the stadium. I checked the S-league website and there are no rules regarding taking photos at matches. The only thing i found is related to those media's photographers where they are not allowed to take at the stands.

I was quite pissed with the organiser and the security personnel comments and reasons for disallowing photography. I am a fan of Sengkang Punggol FC and i actually support local football. Being a fan who loves to take photos, I want to take photos of the matches so that i can put them up at Facebook, blogs, etc. to encourage more people to support local football. FAS wants more people to attend the S-League matches and support local football, yet they are being so unprofessional in these areas (I feel that the lady's response that my Nikon D90 looks pro and can take good photos is damn unprofessional). All these just turn me off.

If they have such rule on "No photography" and had told me there and then, I would have obediently obey at that moment. But probably i will challenge the rule through other means. But i think they do not have such rules, and just want to use their authoritative power to stop me from taking photos.

The last thing that i am unhappy with is the fact that so many ignorant people think that having a dSLR makes one a professional and even "discriminate" towards them. Mine is one example. The lady's comment make it seems like "if i take photos with a normal PnS camera, it is ok because those cant take nice photos" and i bet i will not be running into trouble if i was just using a PnS camera. How ignorant. Nowadays, a dSLR might be even cheaper than a PnS camera and some people can take nicer photos with even a PnS camera. dSLR is getting so cheap nowadays and every Tom, Dick and Harry have the ability to own one but that doesnt make them a professional. This shows how ignorant and stereotype people can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.