Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the way the cyclical things work in Singapore, what the grand master plan is:

1. Raise Taxi Fares
2. Chase everyone to bus/mrt
3. Bus/MRt packed, people complain
4. Bus/MRT fares raised, to curb demand and to pretend to buy more capacity
5. People go back to taxis when bus/mrt fares rise too high
6. Repeat from step 1

This is just shifting the problem around without solving the problem. Whcih is how our ERP system works by shifting the traffic around in a cyclical fashion, raising prices in that way too.

Is price fixing legal? I tot prices are set based on market demands? It seems the authorities are intervening with the price in transportation..:think:

Check out this ST article:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest+News/Singapore/STIStory_193750.html

After that, take a look at this comment:

http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/01/fear-not-cab-companieslta-to-rescue.html

Quite interesting how the hikes led to this turn of events.

Huh... like dat also illegal? :confused:

Taxi drivers ...... is like their own boss i dun see them giving discount a prob as in the end it boils down to how much they want to earn n whether it will be enough to cover their rental n fuel! As for going too low may not be the case, as they need to cover their expenditure, so no need to make a big moutain out of a molehill!:confused:

Well the way the cyclical things work in Singapore, what the grand master plan is:

1. Raise Taxi Fares
6. Repeat from step 1

This is just shifting the problem around without solving the problem. Whcih is how our ERP system works by shifting the traffic around in a cyclical fashion, raising prices in that way too.
There should be 3 master plans because the general population can be classified into 3 groups:
group 1 - no matter what must take taxi one, cannot take bus/mrt
group 2 - cannot afford taxi so only take bus/mrt
group 3 - the in-between, sometime taxi sometime bus

from what I see is:
Lower pricing is not illegal.
But the act of actively soliciting customer is.

But I do think LTA should give a better explanation.

Bus and train schedule and crowdiness seem to getting worse since price increase long time ago :rolleyes:

1. Where in the article does it say it's illegal? Actually, in a democratic society, it's not illegal until a judge says it's illegal.

2. In any case, an embarassing climbdown by the LTA is coming soon. Just like MDA had to do with the lesbian game ban thing.

Yes, I do think a re-worded response should be forthcoming.

I think you need to read the full article, the one up there is abridged.

From what I remember, LTA is saying that it is illegal because it amounts to solicitation.

Transport ministry.

Taxi companies are going to kill themselves. Maybe we should boycott taking taxis.
hwz is doin so, mayb here should follow too? it is workin very well, small effort, adds to big effort;)

They are not in a position to judge what is "solicitation". Of course, they can try their luck prosecuting.

In any case, the bad ramifications will soon catch up with them.

I think you need to read the full article, the one up there is abridged.

From what I remember, LTA is saying that it is illegal because it amounts to solicitation.

They dont need to prosecute, they just need to scare all the ah peks into submission.

Just like the SBS/SMRT scared teenagers into thinking they have to surrender their Ezlink card..

LTA prosecutors appear very often in the subordinate courts, so they might as well just use the spare capacity.

1. Raise Taxi Fares
6. Repeat from step 1

i think this is a very sensible and reasonable point. afterall the govt will never tell us directly what they want. they always do it in a round about fashion or discreet way that ultimately reaches their aims. sigh!

they tell u straight, u protest. they 'guide' u, u follow.........................

i think this is a very sensible and reasonable point. afterall the govt will never tell us directly what they want. they always do it in a round about fashion or discreet way that ultimately reaches their aims. sigh!

Not sure if I am the victim of a silent protest when they announce discount ad is illegal. Radio called the frist cab,never turn up. Called company to confirm on taxi booking and was given another one. Same thing happen. Sian....lodging complaint may seemed inhumane, knowing their plight. Just swallow and hope things get better. Taxi companies are finding the easy way out but causing unnecessary burden to both drivers and commuters.:(

well, actually i pitty the hardworking taxi drivers. there are obviously some black sheep but amongst them, there are the hardworking ones too and they are pretty badly hit by this bout of fair increases. at the end of the day, its the taxi company's way of discharging the "hiding" taxi burden and its just another reason to up rentals very soon..

and yeah, it pretty much sounds like price fixing!

Status
Not open for further replies.