dardaa

Nov 12, 2005
Downunder.
Dingo in a sanctuary
healsville008.jpg

Dingo Banner
dingo.jpg

Taken with Olympus FE-100.
No photoshop-ing done except to creat the banner..
Any feedback on the shot?
Thanks in advance. :)

I think the surroundings seem too busy and distracts form the dingo (if that was your intended ssubject)

Also next time try placing the dingo off center and to compose using the rule of thirds :)

thanks, i'll try that tmr when i go to the zoo again.
how do i ignore the surroundings? Sorry if it sounds daft, but was on full zoom for the above pic.
the rule of thirds, thanks, i'll keep that in mind :)

Hmm might be a little hard with out a telephoto.. I guess its the chain link fence that makes it a distraction for me..

maybe i'll have to crop the photos after taking it, tmr i'll be going to open zoo, so no fences.. hope i can get some nice shots..

Zebras
werribee030.jpg

Rhino
werribee028.jpg

Hippo
werribee010.jpg

Big Cat Lion
werribee004.jpg

more pictures from today.. not sure if these are better, some were from a safari bus but it doesn't seem too obvious that it was taken from a vehicle (i hope) :)

Hi,
A big difference when we get closer huh ? Your shots are a lot better than your Dingo one : your subjects are filling more the frame which looks better.
Your Zebra are over exposed (Shot through the car glass ? ) and the interest of the picture is really limited (sorry....) Try next an original angle or to wait that the zebras are doing something abnormal or at least doing something...
For the Rhino, I beleive that u have the same problem than the Dingo... Push it more to the left of your photo. Try a landscape shot as well (u want to make it look more impressive, bigger.. more powerful that way : Orientate landscape to accentuate the width and size of animals/people, portrait to have "thinner" lines (Models prefer vertical shots...;o)
For the Hippo, same thing... need bigger lens or a nice crop.

For the Lion, the photo is good but no power. I would have center a bit more the lion and tried to have her detached from her background (the piece of wood just behind her head is not very nice...) For big cats wait until they look at you (if possible) or try to have them either totally detached or totally as they were hidding...

Keep going to the zoo, be patient and try different things at different angle.. Ah joy of having a digital camera ;o)
Cheers

thanks for the comments and advices!
what are 'thinner lines'?
as for the hippo, i'll have to go with cropping, since there's no way of me changing my lens! (i'm using a pns) :bsmilie:
yes, i really hope to get nicer shots of wildlife and animals! they facinate me a lot!
there's so much to learn about photography!
thanks again!

Vertically oriented portraits tend to emphasise the height and not the width of the subject. For example thake thse 2 shots of the cheetah I took.

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~leehanya/Zoo Visit 2006/images/cheetah_04.jpg <-- vertical portrait makes it look sleeker and the conour of the body leads to the face which is supposed to be the main suject :D

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~leehanya/Zoo Visit 2006 (film)/images/film_cheetah_02.jpg once you go horizontal its a different matter altogether. If you are wondering why the colours are differnt this was taken on film..

Toxicdiver is pretty accurate in the criticisms and the best wild life photos always capture 'special' or rarely seen moments of these wonderful animals. It always pays to read up on the chosen animals behaviour so you can anticipate wht it might do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.