Dilemma btw D90,D60 and 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwanf

Dec 18, 2008
Hi everyone. New here to this forum. and also a newbie in DSLR.

I am currently caught in a dilemma to choose between nikon D90, D60 and canon EOS 40D

D90 now has a promo of around $1.8k with a AF-S DX 18-55mm lens (only...) It will mean I have to spend another $300 at least to get a macro lens.
but looking at the standard package, the body comes with a AF-S 18-105mm lens. (which I suppose is more of a all-in-one lens. correct me if i am wrong)

D60 has a good deal of having a normal lens and a relatively macro lens (i think..) for $1.3k
but my concerns is whether I will outgrown of this camera after a while...my friend did after 3 months playing with D60.

Whereas what I heard from others that canon has better lens than nikon. is that true?
And I have relatives who own a 35-80mm wide angle canon lens for 40D which he is willing to give me if I get a canon camera. That will probably save some money on getting lens.

My needs for camera are:
Cos' I am a student studying design, currently trying to pick up photography since it will be part of my rice bowl in very near future. I often need macro mode to take photos for my portfolio and I do also have a liking to take photos like nature, close-up views and stuffs..
On top of that, since I am doing design, probably megapixel is my considering factor too. Cos' I will need to have large prints printed for projects and assignments.
Only starting to get more into photography not too long ago.. maybe about a year or so.

I need advise and suggestions on which camera to really invest in according to these few factors.
My budget is probably at most for $2k including all the extra lens.
And I am pretty open to other models if you think it fits me better:)

Really hope kind souls could help me.
Thanks a lot=)

I really do suggest you research those cameras...

The D60 is a budget entry-level camera. It does not have a built-in AF motor, so can only AF with lenses that have the AF motor in the lens.

The D90 is a high-end entry-level/low-midrange DSLR; good picture quality and movie mode too.

The Canon 40D is a low-end midrange DSLR.

What on earth makes you think that Nikon doesn't have good lenses? Canon has the L glass, Nikon has the gold-ring lenses, Sony has G and Carl Zeiss, etc. In fact, lately there are reports of quality issues with the Canon L lenses too... So do some research!

Also, 35-80 is nowhere near "wide angle". You should be looking at a lens that is 12-18mm at the wide range. 35mm on a canon crop sensor is 56mm equivalent field of view. That's not wideangle at all.

For high-MP cameras, there are other options too, like the Pentax and Sony cameras.

Dedicated macro lenses not only cost least $300 more, but shd be ard 500 more for a 3rd party brand.

and i don't think there is any package for the D60 that comes with the macro lens.

Hi everyone. New here to this forum. and also a newbie in DSLR.

I am currently caught in a dilemma to choose between nikon D90, D60 and canon EOS 40D

D90 now has a promo of around $1.8k with a AF-S DX 18-55mm lens (only...) It will mean I have to spend another $300 at least to get a macro lens.
but looking at the standard package, the body comes with a AF-S 18-105mm lens. (which I suppose is more of a all-in-one lens. correct me if i am wrong)

D60 has a good deal of having a normal lens and a relatively macro lens (i think..) for $1.3k
but my concerns is whether I will outgrown of this camera after a while...my friend did after 3 months playing with D60.

Whereas what I heard from others that canon has better lens than nikon. is that true?
And I have relatives who own a 35-80mm wide angle canon lens for 40D which he is willing to give me if I get a canon camera. That will probably save some money on getting lens.

My needs for camera are:
Cos' I am a student studying design, currently trying to pick up photography since it will be part of my rice bowl in very near future. I often need macro mode to take photos for my portfolio and I do also have a liking to take photos like nature, close-up views and stuffs..
On top of that, since I am doing design, probably megapixel is my considering factor too. Cos' I will need to have large prints printed for projects and assignments.
Only starting to get more into photography not too long ago.. maybe about a year or so.

I need advise and suggestions on which camera to really invest in according to these few factors.
My budget is probably at most for $2k including all the extra lens.
And I am pretty open to other models if you think it fits me better:)

Really hope kind souls could help me.
Thanks a lot=)

If your interests are in macro photography for your work and assignments, why bother with a all in one lens? Just get a 2nd hand body from buy/sell. Also from your budget, invest in a good tripod as well as lighting eq/flash for your close up photography. You most prob only need 1 good lens for all your close up.

Status
Not open for further replies.