Dilemma: 70D versus 760D

ruchirsj

Nov 6, 2009
Hi All - I am Rj and an amateur user of my 500D camera. It so happened that the camera caught some fungus on one of my trips and went unnoticed for a while. This apparently has huge cost implications to get cleaned and repaired.

Now canon is offering me to replace the camera with either a 70D or 760D. I am confused at what should I do? get it repaired or if exchange - which one to take? I have read the reviews on both on several websites, but some personal and user feedback will be really great and helpful.

Looking forward to hearing the groups views.

Cheers, Rj

Hi All - I am Rj and an amateur user of my 500D camera. It so happened that the camera caught some fungus on one of my trips and went unnoticed for a while. This apparently has huge cost implications to get cleaned and repaired.

Now canon is offering me to replace the camera with either a 70D or 760D. I am confused at what should I do? get it repaired or if exchange - which one to take? I have read the reviews on both on several websites, but some personal and user feedback will be really great and helpful.

Cheers, Rj

I have not used either 70D or 760D.

IS financial consideration part of your decision making process?
Do you plan to upgrade?
How long you have been using your 500D?
Is this your first camera?

70D should be an acceptable upgrade, in my opinion.

Hey Shen Siung, thx for your response.

Financial consideration is important but I dont mind the cost of 70D if convinced enough.
You have a point here on upgrade and has made me think - I have been using my 500D for 5 years now... had upgraded from a powershot to eos 500d then... been very happy with the use of 500d... just last few months because of hectic work - just did not even open the camera and fungus struck!

So you are effectively hinting that i should see this as an opportunity to upgrade myself rather than waiting for longer?

you dont think just going to 760d from 500d is of any use?

I would say the 760D has a longer mileage than the 70D which is nearer its end of life cycle. The 760D inherits quite a few features from the 70D. In time the 80D or 800D equivalent would be introduced. My own estimate is by next Apr for the 80D equivalent if there is no change in replacement trend. The 7D Mk II does not come under the PPP. The highest model is 70D.

I'm still using my 5 year old 550D & 2 year old 70D as my main camera. No problems so far & served me very well. The Canon PPP is good; trade in your 500D to buy either the 70D or 760D. If I were in your position, I'd probably buy the 70D over the 760D. It's a difficult choice to make, I agree.

Hi All - I am Rj and an amateur user of my 500D camera. It so happened that the camera caught some fungus on one of my trips and went unnoticed for a while. This apparently has huge cost implications to get cleaned and repaired. Now canon is offering me to replace the camera with either a 70D or 760D. I am confused at what should I do? get it repaired or if exchange - which one to take? I have read the reviews on both on several websites, but some personal and user feedback will be really great and helpful. Looking forward to hearing the groups views. Cheers, Rj

Hey Macvince - thx a ton for your response. You said something interesting - 80D.. Should i wait for it? Dont know if it will be introduced at much higher pricing though... do you know nay trends that it is introduced at higher price and then cools off?

You're welcome. I won't comment on waiting or pricing as these are very personal to each. For myself, I bought both cameras at launch & each of the newly introduced STM lenses at launch also. I guess not everyone will be willing to do that. I like STM lenses: they are affordable, very light & give good pictures and videos. (See some of mine here in CS or in my Flickr site.) I'm budget conscious for this hobby, so I stick to cheaper alternatives and stay in APSC range instead of FF.

I'd suggest you buy either camera with an STM kit lens to take full advantage of auto focusing when videoing. And STM lenses focus very silently, no pickup from the internal microphone. Video results from my 70D have been very good; I believe it will be so for the 760D too.

Hey Macvince - thx a ton for your response. You said something interesting - 80D.. Should i wait for it? Dont know if it will be introduced at much higher pricing though... do you know nay trends that it is introduced at higher price and then cools off?

Last edited:
Got it. Thx.

Just googled.. says 80D rumoured to be out only next year Q2. So thats almost 9 months away! Will have to decide between 70 or 760, i guess.

Enjoy your new camera & next phase of your photography journey. Pay less attention to the gears & you'll likely enjoy more in photo taking. Share with us your photos from time to time for us to enjoy. All the best.

😎

Got it. Thx. Just googled.. says 80D rumoured to be out only next year Q2. So thats almost 9 months away! Will have to decide between 70 or 760, i guess.

Cheers, Rj

Cheers, Rj
Do not post same message across two or more forums, threads moved and merged.

4. Spam - We will not tolerate posting of the same message to two or more forums. Any such posts will be merged or deleted and repeated abuse will result in banishment.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_tos

I guess probably the root cause of this issue if you didn't maintain your camera regularly and use a dry cabinet, fungus won't bother so much about cheap camera, expensive camera, good camera bad camera. so long you don't take care of you camera, fungus will come again.

if you don't address this issue now, we probably will see the similar question again and again

Apologies. Did not know it will become spam. Please help in merging or deleting. Thx.

Thx a ton buddy!

If you don't need the advance features on the 70D, I would say go with the 760D. The benefits of the mid-high end camera is usually with the ergonomics factor (more buttons on the exterior), some complex AF system (I'm referring to at least 2-3 tabs of detailed configurations in the camera menu) and some features that many does not use/know.

Oh, and the 70D will weight quite a fair bit more than the XXXD series.

My view...
- If 500D is serving you well since the beginning of time with only high ISO as complaint, I suggest go with the 760D.
- If the AF system of the 500D is always getting on your nerves, go with the 70D.

I had used the 500D for quite some time. The AF got on my nerves which was the reason I got an more expensive one which serves me well on many occasions. But on days which I don't have to chase after moving stuffs, I see 500D as a fine camera.

*May be a bit off from this topic* With all said, if you are finding the camera stuffs bulky, might be a good time to evaluate other brands/format of camera. e.g. Mirrorless camera or even compact camera if it suit your needs.

Cheers, Rj

When you found fungus on your camera was there a lens attached to it? If so, have you thoroughly checked the lens to ensure that it is free of fungus? I just want to caution you in the event of getting a new camera and then having an "infected" lens attached to it could cause the fungus spread to the new camera and then you're back to where you are now.

I would highly recommend buying a dry box/cabinet for your new camera and lenses. The humid conditions in Singapore do not do any favours to expensive electronic equipment. To be safe, it is best to store your camera equipment in a humidity controlled environment like a dry box or dry cabinet.

Got it. Thanks a ton.

Will go today evening and get a dry box... any recommendations? I would guess Funan should be a good place to look?

Got it. Thanks a ton.

Will go today evening and get a dry box... any recommendations? I would guess Funan should be a good place to look?
How much equipment do you have and what additions are you planning?

Usually, I'll recommend something about 50l. Caters for quite some additional lens.

For digi cabi, I think the prices are more or less fixed. But If you live near amk, can consider go ms color.

Anyway, cabinets above certain size have free delivery. The smallest one 036 is cash and carry.

Last edited: