Dilemma: 18-50 f2.8 vs 18-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Always wanted a fast lens but i have 2 concerns:

1. 18-50 not enough zoom to capture indoor events.

2. 18-200 VRII is so good in countering handshake that perhaps a fast lens would loose to it at 18 or 35mm @f5.6 for group photos.

What you all think?

Group shots, dont need F2.8. any kit lens with flash would do.
The fast lens and VR has different usage. =)

what if need to take indoor event? which one more recommended?
If going for TFCD, will 50 f1.8 alone suffice?

If buying a fast lens for my DX, should i get 18-50 or 24-70?
Usually take indoor events.
But my purpose of a fast lens is more towards TFCD and double up for events.

Last edited:
for TFCD.. yes, 50mm f1.8 enough. but it cannot be used for indoor event.
for 18-50... may not be enough for indoor event, may not be enough for TFCD too.
24-70.. should be enough for both usage.
i'm using 28-75 f2.8 for portrait by the way. but for group photo for indoor event, you will need wider lens.

Frankly, if you are looking at purely events (group shots/table shots) and TFCDs.. i would think that the 17-50 (you referring to tameron?) f2.8 would be suffice.
18-200 is an all purpose lens. With proper settings, its possible to use it for events too. =)

i think for the 18-200...with a good flash..it could even do as a good events lens too...in my opinion if course..coupled with proper iso choosing

Always wanted a fast lens but i have 2 concerns:

1. 18-50 not enough zoom to capture indoor events.

2. 18-200 VRII is so good in countering handshake that perhaps a fast lens would loose to it at 18 or 35mm @f5.6 for group photos.

What you all think?

when in a dilemma, always buy your concerns, keep the on you like and sell away the other
doing it this way may incur some cost ... BUT

you will have your own experience in knowing first hand which suits you rather than ask us humans; most of us who tell u this and that dont even own them; how to tell u fairly?

you can get back some money after selling your concern

I believe its 17-50 Tamron?

Don't go for the ultra zooms, the IQ is really bad... unless you have an awful stigma for changing lenses. Kit lens + a 55-250 (or 55-200 if you're nikon) can easily give you double the quality at the same or lower price.

Truly speaking, 17-50 F2.8 overlaps 50mm F1.8, generally you will still stop down near F2.8 for portraits with the 50mm... that lens shouldn't be overused wide open.

As for your TFCD... I believe they're friendly photoshoots... perhaps you can consider the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 or Sigma 30mm F1.4 (different use) otherwise, do consider asking your friends to let you explore what focal length you need. What do you have at the moment?

i think for the 18-200...with a good flash..it could even do as a good events lens too...in my opinion if course..coupled with proper iso choosing

ideally yes... I worry about 2 things. Image softness, secondly, AF. 18-200 usually dont come with good AF systems, they will be hunting like crazy in room light.

ideally yes... I worry about 2 things. Image softness, secondly, AF. 18-200 usually dont come with good AF systems, they will be hunting like crazy in room light.

properly used...it would give good results..

i've seen a nikkor 18-200 used at low light with great effect before with good technique..
...astounded by the magic of nikkor at times...

howeever on the sony side...am looking at a good lens to replace my kit...preferably a tammy 17-50 or a minolta 16-35 f2.8-4

Last edited:
properly used...it would give good results..

i've seen a nikkor 18-200 used at low light with great effect before with good technique..
...astounded by the magic of nikkor at times...

howeever on the sony side...am looking at a good lens to replace my kit...preferably a tammy 17-50 or a minolta 16-35 f2.8-4

I see, well, go for the tammy I guess =)

Status
Not open for further replies.