Digital Workflow Sharing/Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj1987

Jun 24, 2005
FL
www.dodgegallery.com
Well, after I shoot, the first thing I do is copy all the files to my hard drive, NOT deleting them off the memory card, and burn them to a dvd-rw I use for temp storage, and now that its in two places I clear the card. Then I edit all the files in photoshop cs2, or at least the good ones. I have a folder called "Photography" on C drive, and make a folder by date AKA 6 15 05 (I know spaces arent the best but Ill explain later). I save all the edited files in a folder called photography\6 22 05\18819 NW 342 St Gainesville Fl Paynes Prarie\ Edited or Unedited

Then, I burn a cd, sometimes 2 or 3 per shoot, sometimes a dvd with all of that dates images. After that, I use Extensis Portfolio 7, and add a Gallery, then go to my E drive (dvd/cd) and select that folder with the burned cd. Portfolio knows its a cd, so it indexes and thumnails all the files and keywords it collects (note, underscores and hypens only make a long keyword, hard to search for) and all the camera data. I then burn a duplicate copy of the dvds or cds, and put them in my locker at work (incase of and unforseen damage like a fire, because lets face it media is cheap). After that I copy the burnt images to D: drive, where I have a live portfolio (watch folder) so that I dont have to dig up cds for images that were shot a month or two ago. When I need more space, I just delete them, since theyre already on cd/dvd.

After each time I archive new files (well not always but I try) I burn a copy of the portfolio to a cd-rw so I always have that recent backup, and every quarter or so burn a cd-r copy for home, and the work locker.

What does everyone else do?

I think that's pretty comprehensive. I always store my photos in two sets of DVDs (two different brands, just in case the quality deteriorates). It depends on the individual's preference in terms of naming the folders, I suppose.

I also intend to buy a big harddisk with an external casing to further backup all my photos.

wow extensive backup i see the word 'burn' being used a lot. you must be a professional or a really careful amateur to use such a workflow!

wow..thanks for sharing that..

i am totally disorganize.. i load my photos in the harddisk..
the original i keep in one folder..the edited for web..i resize and keep in different folder..

its ok at the first..but now the total of photos is totally out of control now..too many..

thinking to get a software to organize my photos..

Wow! Very Extensive. For me, I just "move" straight into HD where I do my editing, and then collect till it reach 4.7GB... then copy to 2 sets of DVD... one is for reference and one is a copy that will not be touched (sort of like mint condition in comics or stamps) unless its an emergency. im not pro and my photos are mostly crap so im not that very careful. My naming format is YYYYMMDD Occasion... this is for my folder sorting. Inside are four (3 if no Raw) directories with copies of RAW, JPG, JPG Edited and Resized (for web or casual viewing). Filename I don't change anymore since my photos are mostly sets and not individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.