Digital or film???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kree

Nov 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm a newbie to the world of photography...
Need some opinions on the following:
1. Is it cheaper to get a digital "prosumer" camera or a film SLR camera?
2. Are there any home kits for developing film at home?
(the advantages for a digicam I can see are that I can develop photos at home and there isn't a waste of film, but the price difference is v significant...)
Am thinking of the Nikon F55 (film)...:cool:

Originally posted by kree
I'm a newbie to the world of photography...
Need some opinions on the following:
2. Are there any home kits for developing film at home?
(the advantages for a digicam I can see are that I can develop photos at home and there isn't a waste of film, but the price difference is v significant...)

You can get a pretty good film SLR like the Nikon F80 or Canon EOS 30 with lens for the price of a typical 4-5mp digital camera. :) But of coz, this is not including film and development costs, which can be quite high if you shoot a lot. However, a SLR gives you more control in getting the results you want.

Other than B&W, it isn't really practical to develop film at home. Colour negative and slides are just too messy and troublesome to process yourself. The chemicals are also very expensive and more expensive than their B&W counterparts.

Regards
CK

The F55 seems to be an entry-level film SLR rather than a prosumer model, in my opinion. Definitely the F55 or EOS66 are cheaper than a digital prosumer model.

Digital's startup costs (e.g. camera, media, printer, software) are probably higher. But shooting pictures can be relatively cheap esp. if you don't print many of your shots.

I think it would be better to start off with a film based camera as digital camera is still quite expensive and for the same entry-level price, you can get a more flexible camera system. If you are interested, my friend is selling his Nikon F65 which is in mint condition and is an excellent beginner SLR.

Film Camera (SLR or compact P&S) will have running cost like film and developing. Set aside a budget for these EVERY MONTH to fully enjoy shooting with your relatively cheaper SLR(compare to the digital equal). You can scan in the negative to have a digital format for editing and cropping. I believe 35mm negative can develop to bigger prints cheaper than the digital format from your prosumer.

On the other hand, digi cam have a higher initial cost, but less running cost (can choose to print out those pictures you like..after editing).
Your prosumer can't shoot certain ways that a SLR/DSLR can

I will go for the digi for initial learning.... then back to film SLR .... and hopefully to a DSLR if time and money permit.

Originally posted by Snowcrash
Film Camera (SLR or compact P&S) will have running cost like film and developing. Set aside a budget for these EVERY MONTH to fully enjoy shooting with your relatively cheaper SLR(compare to the digital equal). You can scan in the negative to have a digital format for editing and cropping. I believe 35mm negative can develop to bigger prints cheaper than the digital format from your prosumer.

On the other hand, digi cam have a higher initial cost, but less running cost (can choose to print out those pictures you like..after editing).
Your prosumer can't shoot certain ways that a SLR/DSLR can

I will go for the digi for initial learning.... then back to film SLR .... and hopefully to a DSLR if time and money permit.

If you need digital pictures as well as flexibility in shooting (read: digi compacts/consumer targeted cannot make it situations), a DSLR would be better. Consider this:

EOS 30: ~ $900
Slide Film Scanner (Avg): $600, Good ones cost $1000+
Film & Development Cost: $8+ (Fuji Xtra 400 + Developmet @ $4)
If you shoot 1 roll a week, 1 year = $384+. (8*4*12)

Total: $1900+ (Depend on film usage)

D60: ~ $3800 + 256MB CF (~$200?)
D30: ~$2400 2nd hand

Also consider getting a cheap SLR + cheap digicam, eg SLR body ~ $500 and another $500 digicam. I think sony makes one 3-4 mp one that lists for $599 (their consumer P- series)

Just my 2-cents worth.

I usually carry my prosumer digital camera on my travel tours these days. This is because I can shot whatever I like and take different angles of the attractions. And back home, I'll just load these digital photos into my computer and just select those photos I want and store them in a CD.

I used to carry my film camera and being selective of my shots. I know some people will tell me that I should shoot all I want since the trip is usually very costly. But imagine coming back home to develop+print the rolls of films! That will cost a bomb, eventhough I only do the developing and print the selected ones.

True, digital camera has high startup cost but in the long run, the developing and printing probably save a bundle. Unless the photographer is crazy over new camera models, otherwise a digital camera can usually last for a couple of years.

:)

Originally posted by Zoomer

D60: ~ $3800 + 256MB CF (~$200?)
D30: ~$2400 2nd hand

u forgot the add in the $$ for some decent lenes and accessories....which can easily add up more than the body itself...

15-30 + 70-200/f2.8 + 550EX flash ....and the list go on and on....

I too thinking of using my digi cam for travels photography. At least can show the local there through the LCD display.

I too thinking of using my digi cam for travels photography. At least can show the local there through the LCD display.

better be careful - dun kena rob ah.... :p

Also, when travelling long trip, got to make sure your storage is enough to last that journey... i.e, gotto spend a couple of hundreds on storage cards (exclude 1 GB microdrive)..., then when come back, you realised that you have access storage :(

Status
Not open for further replies.