Digital image print on black and white paper...

scubasimon

Sep 14, 2004
Holland Village, Singapore
Hi...does anyone know the process to get a digital file printed on traditional black and white paper? Is there anyone doing this in Singapore?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

U hv to use a digital negative. That is to convert your photo into a negative using Photoshop and print on a transparency. Usually folks print it using alternative printing methods. Big topic by itself. As far as I know no one does it as a commercial sevice here in Singapore.

Thanks man. I saw a YouTube video of someone doing a digital negative as you described...I think that person used a special printer. Would be really cool to be able to do that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

actually no need special printer. what you can do is to find transparencies from popular bookstore (usually sold in a pack of 50 sheets) and print the image on the transparency. i believe they sell transparencies meant for laser monochrome printer. alternatively, you can prepare the image in photoshop and bring it to the photocopying shops around queensway shopping center to get it printed on transparency.

after that... it is a matter of finding a darkroom to print your photo.

Few suggestions:

The laser method will lack in tonality, good for playing, defies the
point in my opinion (opinions differ).

If you want to do it at home, get the book zguy recommended and start saving money for an Epson (all the media/RIP tools/inks really only support Epson printers). But it's tedious and only really worth for alternative processes.

If you already got the printer (Epson), you can look up piezography, using proper black and white ink sets with custom processing, not cmyk and print to paper.

Alternatively you can look up something called Lightjet process, that's digital printing on silver paper+processing. Plenty of shops overseas if you only need one off. Never found one in Singapore, found ads but false alarm.

Or just print it at a good shop that knows how to print black and white on baryta or similar, you get longevity nowadays and decent rendition too.

Last edited:
Thanks folks for the recommendation! Have been away from the forums for awhile and happy to see there may be a way. Will check the book out [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightwolf75 - been there done that you can not get the kind of dot density that silver halide film has - its literally more like line art. May be if you outputted a digital file as CMYK separation, assembled the 4 sheets together and contact print the resultant but its a stone bitch and well costs some think like $60 per A4 or $100 per A3 - then because it has that kind of dentist you probably need an arc lamp to do the exposure - not for the faint hearted. I worked out the process but when looked at the cost it just did not seem worth it. Shoot on B&W film, process, printing using enlarger, process the old fashion way was better.

The other was to use the printer that was developed to take a digital file and project the image on to regular B&W paper - its been 20-25 year I have forgotten the name of the company that made that printer - it never made it to Spore.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;sDsUv4qPt6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDsUv4qPt6o[/video]
Look at this video where a digital negative is used to produce an excellent platinum print. You can use any digital photos from any brand of camera. Of course this is a contact print process where no enlarging is involved so your digital negative must be well made in the first place.