Diffraction Limited Aperture

Blur L

Aug 3, 2010
Fellow CSers, may I ask for your advice / experience regarding the "practical" smallest f/stop without serious diffraction issues?

My meaning of "practical" is viewing the photo on say 42-in TV or print on max A3, i.e. not really pixel-peep.

Some of the articles I read are pretty technical... too blur to understand ;p
some advised DLA sets in from f/7.6, some advised max f/11

My cam is Canon 500D (and I have no ND filter). I have recently used f/14 for fireworks... i could not see major diffraction issues or maybe my eyes not sharp enough... thinking of f/16 for next fireworks shoot.

Thanks in advance.

Fellow CSers, may I ask for your advice / experience regarding the "practical" smallest f/stop without serious diffraction issues?

My meaning of "practical" is viewing the photo on say 42-in TV or print on max A3, i.e. not really pixel-peep.

Some of the articles I read are pretty technical... too blur to understand ;p
some advised DLA sets in from f/7.6, some advised max f/11

My cam is Canon 500D (and I have no ND filter). I have recently used f/14 for fireworks... i could not see major diffraction issues or maybe my eyes not sharp enough... thinking of f/16 for next fireworks shoot.

Thanks in advance.

Really depends on the specific sensor used. But as a general rule, for APS-C smallest should be F16... anything smaller you will start to see SAD (small aperture diffraction)... and once you see SAD, you will feel SAD.

Really depends on the specific sensor used. But as a general rule, for APS-C smallest should be F16... anything smaller you will start to see SAD (small aperture diffraction)... and once you see SAD, you will feel SAD.

Yeah bro.

And depend on your lens as well.. Nikon ones can be quite forgiving though i seriously advise gg beyond f16 for most.. :)

Thanks for your inputs. Will keep SAD in mind... :D