difference between prosumer n slr

Status
Not open for further replies.

corporal007

May 19, 2006
i own a olympus c-750. on my cam the aperture setting is only available between f/2.8-f/8. isit that only in a slr cam can i acheived a small aperture size of f/16?

corporal007 said:
i own a olympus c-750. on my cam the aperture setting is only available between f/2.8-f/8. isit that only in a slr cam can i acheived a small aperture size of f/16?

Usually for prosumers their smallest aperture is around f/11. SLRs/DSLRs usually can reach a max of f/22 - f/38, depending on the type of lens used.

what happens is that in digicams, the physical focal length of the lenses is very very short already, in the region of 5mm. as aperture is expressed as a division of the focal length, an ƒ/8 on a digicam would be the same as ƒ/80 on a 50mm 35mm format lens. when it comes to such small physical number, the actual absolute number becomes important, since a 5mm lens at ƒ/8 gives you an aperture of only 0.625mm which is VERY SMALL and hard to engineer properly. also at that kind of microscopic size, diffraction becomes an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.