Difference between macro mode and normal zoom-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasia

Nov 9, 2003
The North
Visit site
Hihi!

Anyone care to explain what's the use of macro mode? As in..is there any difference between using the macro mode on a cam, as compared to just zooming in on the subject and taking a photo?

And how do macro lenses differ from normal zoom lenses? :think:

Thanks!! :p

phantasia said:
Hihi!

Anyone care to explain what's the use of macro mode? As in..is there any difference between using the macro mode on a cam, as compared to just zooming in on the subject and taking a photo?

And how do macro lenses differ from normal zoom lenses? :think:

Thanks!! :p

There's no difference between "normal" mode and "macro" mode. A lens offer special macro modes so to limit the focus range for faster focusing. Notice that the focus scale is not linear. (Otherwise, how can you get to *infinity* in finite rotation! :bsmilie: ) At macro (ie. very close focus), you need to turn a lot to change very little in focus distance. Thus, to prevent "hunting" for focus in this exceptionally slow area, the lens excludes this range in "normal" mode.

But, there're differences between macro lenses and normal lenses. (1) Optically, macro lenses have optical design optimized for macro/close-range focusing. In other words, their optical performance may be marginally worse than their normal counterparts in the normal range. (2) Mechanically, macro lenses may focus "very fast" towards the infinity end. (i.e. turn very little, focus changes a lot.)

johnyu said:
There's no difference between "normal" mode and "macro" mode. A lens offer special macro modes so to limit the focus range for faster focusing. Notice that the focus scale is not linear. (Otherwise, how can you get to *infinity* in finite rotation! :bsmilie: ) At macro (ie. very close focus), you need to turn a lot to change very little in focus distance. Thus, to prevent "hunting" for focus in this exceptionally slow area, the lens excludes this range in "normal" mode.

Oic...thanks!! :bsmilie:

johnyu said:
But, there're differences between macro lenses and normal lenses. (1) Optically, macro lenses have optical design optimized for macro/close-range focusing. In other words, their optical performance may be marginally worse than their normal counterparts in the normal range. (2) Mechanically, macro lenses may focus "very fast" towards the infinity end. (i.e. turn very little, focus changes a lot.)

So tat means by right macro lenses are pretty good for taking landscapes as well?

phantasia said:
So tat means by right macro lenses are pretty good for taking landscapes as well?

that depends on the site u're taking the photo at, brother!!!
yeah babe yeah!

most macro lenses are in the range of 50 - some 300mm and it might not be such a good idea to do general landscape at 200 or even 300mm?

have fun brother!

next time drinks on u! wohohoho!

johnyu said:
At macro (ie. very close focus), you need to turn a lot to change very little in focus distance.
In other words, their optical performance may be marginally worse than their normal counterparts in the normal range. (2) Mechanically, macro lenses may focus "very fast" towards the infinity end. (i.e. turn very little, focus changes a lot.)
Sorry, but I dont fully understand the statements above. :embrass:
Put it this way, the only unique characteristic of a macro lens is that it can focus at a closer distance compare to 'normal' lenses. That's all.
Macro lenses may focus slower compare to other USM or equivalent lenses, but that's another story.

johnyu said:

Huh , are you sure that there is no difference? There is no way you can acheive a 1-1 reproduction on a zoom lens as compared with a zoom lens. If there is no difference then you would not need a macro lens at all rite?

so if for a newbie, like I wish to take a macro or zoom shot at very detailed closed up such as even capturing a mobilephone innards, those components, and their fine imprints, how? which camera currently can do that w/o any problem? or must zoom in to focus, pardon me.

Status
Not open for further replies.