Diff. bet. Macro-Close Up and +4 Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

runes

Was just surfing the Hoya lens website.
Basically, what is the difference between a macro close-up lens and a +4 lens??

The Hoya's macro filter has a diopter strength of +10 as compare to the +4 closeup filter, meaning you can get a much bigger magnification and shorter working distance with it. It is also has 2 elements as compare to only 1 in the +4/+2/+1.

To calculate magnification from diopter strength,

Magnification = (diopter strength x lens focal length) / 1000

So, for example you put the macro filter (+10 diopter) on a 50mm lens,

Magnification = (10 x 50) / 1000 = 0.5, or 1:2 life-size ratio.

Originally posted by ziploc
The Hoya's macro filter has a diopter strength of +10 as compare to the +4 closeup filter, meaning you can get a much bigger magnification and shorter working distance with it. It is also has 2 elements as compare to only 1 in the +4/+2/+1.

To calculate magnification from diopter strength,

Magnification = (diopter strength x lens focal length) / 1000

So, for example you put the macro filter (+10 diopter) on a 50mm lens,

Magnification = (10 x 50) / 1000 = 0.5, or 1:2 life-size ratio.

So, if I have a macro close up lens already, I don't need to buy the +4 lens because the former is better??

Originally posted by runes

So, if I have a macro close up lens already, I don't need to buy the +4 lens because the former is better??

each serve different purpose. the +10 allows you to focus real close to the subject but there're times when you either don't want (e.g. bees, wasps) or don't need to be so close.

Sorry, me read areadi still abit lost here...I have a 250D close-up lens, so can I achieve higher magnification of the subject with an additional +10 macro filter??? Me very lousy with lenses.... :(

Originally posted by wedgee
Sorry, me read areadi still abit lost here...I have a 250D close-up lens, so can I achieve higher magnification of the subject with an additional +10 macro filter??? Me very lousy with lenses.... :(

you can. an additional +10 allows you to shoot even nearer and achiever even greater magnification.

the 250D is equivalent to a +4.

For normal Botanic Garden shoots, a +4 closeup filter is more then enough, especially when you are using it with a long lens. You won't need a +10 unless you are doing works like shooting jewelleries or products (you will get too close to the subject when you use it with a short focal length lens, while the magnification is too big with a longer lens). Note that you can stack closeup filters, for example stacking a +4 with a +1 will give you +5 diopter strength, with the price of having slightly more image degradation.

Status
Not open for further replies.