diamonds from "diamond industries pte Ltd"

Status
Not open for further replies.
do not get one simply b'cos of its certified nature, i believe almost all shops selling diamonds here are certified, it simply indicate tt it is a real diamond..with comments on its shape/cut/color etc. And there are plenty of diamond certifying bodies around, some more reputable than others of cos.
a simple analogy is a 'o' level certs tt has all 'As' and one with all 'Fs'...all r certs. but not equal...think you shld hv my pt.

my take is, buy the most valuable diamond tt you can afford.
hv a reasonable budget n get e best.
No point buying a 'big' 100 pointers when it looks pale in comparision.
Remember a diamond has no real resale value and can only sparkle, so get one tt does it best!

The reason why different makes of diamonds shine the same to us is because of the amplified lighting nature of the jeweller's store.
If you switch some of those 'foreign' sources and use the ambience lighting, it should give you a fair indication of the stone tt shines better.

A reputable store with a long tradition is preferred, do not fall for those coined terms aka commercial gimmicks.

good luck for your purchase!!

ralph said:
do not get one simply b'cos of its certified nature, i believe almost all shops selling diamonds here are certified, it simply indicate tt it is a real diamond..with comments on its shape/cut/color etc. And there are plenty of diamond certifying bodies around, some more reputable than others of cos.
a simple analogy is a 'o' level certs tt has all 'As' and one with all 'Fs'...all r certs. but not equal...think you shld hv my pt.

my take is, buy the most valuable diamond tt you can afford.
hv a reasonable budget n get e best.
No point buying a 'big' 100 pointers when it looks pale in comparision.
Remember a diamond has no real resale value and can only sparkle, so get one tt does it best!

The reason why different makes of diamonds shine the same to us is because of the amplified lighting nature of the jeweller's store.
If you switch some of those 'foreign' sources and use the ambience lighting, it should give you a fair indication of the stone tt shines better.

A reputable store with a long tradition is preferred, do not fall for those coined terms aka commercial gimmicks.

good luck for your purchase!!

just to correct ralph here... what he said is very true save for one: Diamonds do have resale value. You can find certified diamonds at cash convertors :sweatsm: :sweatsm: :sweatsm: but seriously, now both SooKee and LeeHwa offer u resale value... SooKee claims its diamonds to retain 100% value, while I know for sure LeeHwa diamonds have 70% resale value. Unsure about other companies though.

Song, are you sufficiently confused now? :confused:

Anyway, are you planning to get a diamond solitaire as a engagement ring? Popping the question? :)

To answer your question directly, I have been to Diamond Industries for about 6 times in the last 2 years, to bring friends who bought diamond engagement rings 2 times.

I personally have not bought anything there, because the particular diamond I was looking for was quite rare in Spore, and the retail shops did not carry them then.

Eventually I bought a loose diamond from overseas. Cost more, but that is the whole point of getting a diamond: 1 particular diamond.

Nuff said about my experience.. :)

I strongly recommend you to buy from Diamond Industries, if you know exactly what you are looking for.

Decide on your budget.
Decide on the Cut.

Because everything else about the other Cs do not give you fire and brilliance. Ironically, ONLY the human touch decides the brilliance of a diamond. Of course, a diamond's natural property is its hardness and durability. But the whole point of wearing one on the finger is to reflect maximum light. And that is only achieved by the way the rock is cut, not by the Colour, not by Carat, and certainly not by Clarity.

So, go down to Diamond Industries, look for this guy Rozainee. Alternatively, he has twin brothers, Rohaimi and Rohaizad, all friendly and helpful (6287-8577).

When you step into the glass doors, ask to speak to one of them.

Then tell the man you are looking for a GIA certified diamond with Excellent Symmetry and Excellent Proportion. Then he will tell you "Sir, the GIA diamonds are all mounted, not available loose". Ask to see the cert and make sure that the 2 items are both rated "Excellent". Which yields an "Excellent" Cut.

If you want loose stones instead, they have the HRD certified diamonds. In this case, look at the cert for "Very Good" in both the items. That is the highest rating for HRD certified diamonds. But it may not be the same level as "Excellent" Cut as in GIA diamonds.

For both GIA and HRD certified diamonds, you could request to see the laser inscription on the girdle of the diamond (the part that separates the top and the bottom of the diamond, to put it simply). It should match the number on the certificate.

When one buys from any of the standard retailers (ie Lee Hwa, Soo Kee etc.) you pay for the operating costs. The advertising, the rent, the staff, the works. Soo Kee's Brilliant Rose diamonds are indeed very well cut. But you would pay more for that, then for Diamond Industries.

At the end of the day, a diamond is symbolic of the eternity of your relationship. It does not feed you when you are hungry, nor cloth you when you are cold. So forget about the "love is priceless" and the "2 months of your pay" farce, whcih incidentally is generated from the diamond makers, and then conveniently hijacked for mass consumerism use.

Basically, buy the brightest, biggest diamond (in that order) that you can afford. :) There is still money to be spent for your wedding and the house.

Remember, diamond shopping for engagement is fun, so enjoy!! :)

Hehe, you got all things arranged. now it is not confusing.

i sort of finalise to a few choices:

diamond ind : 0.5ct, girdle=medium sym=very gd proporttion=very gd ,vs2, inclusion type= did not notice, color=g price= 3.4k

sookee : 0.5ct, girdle=medium to slightly thick(faceted) ,sym=very gd, proportion=very gd ,vs1, color =g , inclusion type=crystal, price= 2.65k

i ask sookee why so cheap. their answer is that there are only 4 GIA diamond in their outlet that headquater gives a discount. one already sold on first day of arrival. Now only left 0.5ct, 0.52ct and 0.54ct.

other 0.5++ct dia : leehwa 0.5ct lower grade with proportion=gd and symetry= gd and a girdle=very thin to very thick price = 3.2k

gold heart 0.5ct similar to leehwa but slightly better with girdle= medium price= 3.8k their ring is 100% platinium (pt1000)

which one better?

fruitybix said:
Song, are you sufficiently confused now? :confused:

Anyway, are you planning to get a diamond solitaire as a engagement ring? Popping the question? :)

To answer your question directly, I have been to Diamond Industries for about 6 times in the last 2 years, to bring friends who bought diamond engagement rings 2 times.

I personally have not bought anything there, because the particular diamond I was looking for was quite rare in Spore, and the retail shops did not carry them then.

Eventually I bought a loose diamond from overseas. Cost more, but that is the whole point of getting a diamond: 1 particular diamond.

Nuff said about my experience.. :)

I strongly recommend you to buy from Diamond Industries, if you know exactly what you are looking for.

Decide on your budget.
Decide on the Cut.

Because everything else about the other Cs do not give you fire and brilliance. Ironically, ONLY the human touch decides the brilliance of a diamond. Of course, a diamond's natural property is its hardness and durability. But the whole point of wearing one on the finger is to reflect maximum light. And that is only achieved by the way the rock is cut, not by the Colour, not by Carat, and certainly not by Clarity.

So, go down to Diamond Industries, look for this guy Rozainee. Alternatively, he has twin brothers, Rohaimi and Rohaizad, all friendly and helpful (6287-8577).

When you step into the glass doors, ask to speak to one of them.

Then tell the man you are looking for a GIA certified diamond with Excellent Symmetry and Excellent Proportion. Then he will tell you "Sir, the GIA diamonds are all mounted, not available loose". Ask to see the cert and make sure that the 2 items are both rated "Excellent". Which yields an "Excellent" Cut.

If you want loose stones instead, they have the HRD certified diamonds. In this case, look at the cert for "Very Good" in both the items. That is the highest rating for HRD certified diamonds. But it may not be the same level as "Excellent" Cut as in GIA diamonds.

For both GIA and HRD certified diamonds, you could request to see the laser inscription on the girdle of the diamond (the part that separates the top and the bottom of the diamond, to put it simply). It should match the number on the certificate.

When one buys from any of the standard retailers (ie Lee Hwa, Soo Kee etc.) you pay for the operating costs. The advertising, the rent, the staff, the works. Soo Kee's Brilliant Rose diamonds are indeed very well cut. But you would pay more for that, then for Diamond Industries.

At the end of the day, a diamond is symbolic of the eternity of your relationship. It does not feed you when you are hungry, nor cloth you when you are cold. So forget about the "love is priceless" and the "2 months of your pay" farce, whcih incidentally is generated from the diamond makers, and then conveniently hijacked for mass consumerism use.

Basically, buy the brightest, biggest diamond (in that order) that you can afford. :) There is still money to be spent for your wedding and the house.

Remember, diamond shopping for engagement is fun, so enjoy!! :)

oeyvind said:

Fully aware now. Rather buy gold... but then do you know where gold is traded? I do have two pure gold coins.

the answer is thus obvious based on the article. Buy the cheapest just for the purpose of popping the question. Buy the cheapest which also gives you the biggest. Becos these are just worthless stone to reflect light and the bigger ones do the job better.

Does that mean i go for the 2.6k ones.

Diamonds have resale value. In fact, like all precious gems, will appreciate in prices. If no resale value, than the England crown jewels will not cost more than a 1DmkII. Start to buy at the right price and good stone. by good stone I mean good colour, ideal wt, cut, colour etc.. and good price means not inflated eg. some stores can give 40% discount. If the cost of the stone is 1,000, the shop inflates to 2,500. After 40% discount, you pay 1500 then later go pawn shop sure no value. Can refer to Rappaport report..

Girdle faceted: It's cutting away flaws present on the diamonds. It will make the diamonds lighter. would prefer polished girdle- look like blasted mirror.
VS1: Look where the flaw is. Is it in the centre (crown) or sides. the value depends on it. Colour: G is high colour. Know how to tell D from E or F? Insist to buy loose stone. If it is set onto a ring, take it out as claws can hide minute flaws, trigons etc

E1g3 said:
Diamonds have resale value. In fact, like all precious gems, will appreciate in prices. If no resale value, than the England crown jewels will not cost more than a 1DmkII. Start to buy at the right price and good stone. by good stone I mean good colour, ideal wt, cut, colour etc.. and good price means not inflated eg. some stores can give 40% discount. If the cost of the stone is 1,000, the shop inflates to 2,500. After 40% discount, you pay 1500 then later go pawn shop sure no value. Can refer to Rappaport report..

No, Diamonds have no resale value, unless it is extremely rare, great historial value or extra big, like the England Crown Jewels. Bring a Taka Diamond and try to sell it at Diamond Industries, I sincerely doubt they will pay good price for it. Unlike gold, or other precious metal, you cannot re-cut a diamond into the size you like or into the shape you like, thus limiting the resale value. They are just shinning Carbon.

song said:
...i sort of finalise to a few choices:

diamond ind : 0.5ct, girdle=medium sym=very gd proporttion=very gd ,vs2, inclusion type= did not notice, color=g price= 3.4k

sookee : 0.5ct, girdle=medium to slightly thick(faceted) ,sym=very gd, proportion=very gd ,vs1, color =g , inclusion type=crystal, price= 2.65k

i ask sookee why so cheap. their answer is that there are only 4 GIA diamond in their outlet that headquater gives a discount. one already sold on first day of arrival. Now only left 0.5ct, 0.52ct and 0.54ct.

other 0.5++ct dia : leehwa 0.5ct lower grade with proportion=gd and symetry= gd and a girdle=very thin to very thick price = 3.2k

gold heart 0.5ct similar to leehwa but slightly better with girdle= medium price= 3.8k their ring is 100% platinium (pt1000)

which one better?

Going with what is mentioned, it would seem the Soo Kee diamond gives you a better deal. The symmetry and proportion for both the DI and Soo Kee diamonds is better than Lee Hwa and Gold Heart.

Do check out the girdle. For the Soo Kee diamond, it is mentioned that it is "medium to slightly thick". It should not be too thick, as it will mean a lower pavilion and table height, which affects the brilliance. The advantage of a thick girdle is that it is less likely to chip if your girlfriend knocks it accidentally. She will knock it, becuase wearing a diamond solitaire takes getting used to.

Happened to my wife. The entire claw was ripped out, because it caught some fabric and was pulled along. But we got the setting for 6 claws, so the diamond is still intact, and the jeweler reset it for free. You cannot do this with platinum. It will have to be reset on a new ring. Again, my personal preference for white gold over platinum.

As for setting, try 6 instead of 4. As you are getting a 0.5ct, it will still look OK. While a 4 claw setting will make the diamond look big, but I have heard enough of how some ladies unfortunately lost the diamonds because of some knocks that dislodge the diamonds. So spare yourself the heartache, go for the 6 claw. However, my favourite for diamond earrings is 4 claw setting. So too for diamond pendent.

Before your buy, get them to show you the laser inscription on the girdle. As it is GIA, it should read "GIA XXXXXXXXXX". Tally that number with the certificate. Take your time, this takes practice. And dont be rushed to pay thousands of dollars for shoddy service.

The next time when you do want to reset the diamond, make sure that the moment you get it back from the jeweler, check for the laser inscription.

:)

blurblock said:
No, Diamonds have no resale value, unless it is extremely rare, great historial value or extra big, like the England Crown Jewels. Bring a Taka Diamond and try to sell it at Diamond Industries, I sincerely doubt they will pay good price for it. Unlike gold, or other precious metal, you cannot re-cut a diamond into the size you like or into the shape you like, thus limiting the resale value. They are just shinning Carbon.

Spot on. Anyway, it will not be too long before diamonds can be commercially produced, and diamond graders and merchants will be hard-pressed to differentiate between the 2: naturally produced and cut diamonds, vs commercially manufactured diamonds. It will be interesting what would be the value of diamonds then, and its symbolism. :)

Buy the cheapest just for the purpose of popping the question. Buy the cheapest which also gives you the biggest.

mmm...aren't you belittleing e occasion.
if your future wife doesn't mind a 'diamondless' proposal ring... you shouldn't need this headache to start with in the first place rite?

song said:
Becos these are just worthless stone to reflect light and the bigger ones do the job better.

Does that mean i go for the 2.6k ones.

Poor resale value doesnt mean its worthless....
only rare and immaculate diamonds have an equal or appreciating value ( that explains the value of the crown jewel E1g3 was talking about.), not those consumer grades that we see in store.

bigger stone dont reflect light better....is the cut.

imo,
1.) if you are very tight on budget and yet wants to fulfil your fiancee wishes of having a diamond porposal ring...just get a reasonable grade/size. 50 pointers is not exactly small to start with for a reasonable grade.

2.) if you are struggling with finances and yet want to force out the ring, think its wiser you juz get an ordinary band/ring...your wife will not love you any lesser.

3.) and if you can afford it, but want to save as much as possible and stretch your dollars on the purchase, dont place so muc emphasis on just the size, remember its the cut tt determines the Brilliance!

since we r at this forum....a simple analogy will be, its not the size of the LENS OR the bulkiness of the DSLR that determines a well composed picture with vision.
its our :heart:
the same for your stone
happy shopping :)
:cheers:

ralph said:
mmm...aren't you belittleing e occasion.
if your future wife doesn't mind a 'diamondless' proposal ring... you shouldn't need this headache to start with in the first place rite?

Poor resale value doesnt mean its worthless....
only rare and immaculate diamonds have an equal or appreciating value ( that explains the value of the crown jewel E1g3 was talking about.), not those consumer grades that we see in store.

bigger stone dont reflect light better....is the cut.

imo,
1.) if you are very tight on budget and yet wants to fulfil your fiancee wishes of having a diamond porposal ring...just get a reasonable grade/size. 50 pointers is not exactly small to start with for a reasonable grade.

2.) if you are struggling with finances and yet want to force out the ring, think its wiser you juz get an ordinary band/ring...your wife will not love you any lesser.

3.) and if you can afford it, but want to save as much as possible and stretch your dollars on the purchase, dont place so muc emphasis on just the size, remember its the cut tt determines the Brilliance!

since we r at this forum....a simple analogy will be, its not the size of the LENS OR the bulkiness of the DSLR that determines a well composed picture with vision.
its our :heart:
the same for your stone
happy shopping :)
:cheers:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Have been reading this thread from start till end........was wondering if anyone can share their experiences of their "Field Trip" to Tiffany's & Co.

I really wonder about the cost of their Solitaire........

Anyone ??

Essentially, the proposition is this: get the best cut, biggest diamond you can afford.

The Cut of the diamond alone, determines its brilliance. A big diamond does not necessarily mean a brilliant diamond, it could just a poorly cut rock, period.

But beyond "Symmetry" and "Proportion", the scientific way of determining the amount of reflected light from a diamond, is through lab analysis, firing laser beams to the diamond and measuring the amount of light returned. This is the layman's definition as I was made to understand.

So, when a diamond is sent to GIA, AGS, and HRD labs, the lab guy will test and determine its Cut, Clarity, Colour and Carat weight. So that basically means you can send any diamonds to be certificated, but it does not mean a GIA or AGS certificated diamond adds any value to the diamond. If it is poorly cut or is too yellow in colour, it is still a low quality diamond, and the lab test confirms its low grades.

Therefore, the top range of diamonds from Soo Kee, Lee Hwa, Tiffany, and Uncle Larry's are essentially well-cut diamonds, with cut grade that may be classified as "Excellent" in both symmetry, and proportion, by GIA standards, or rated "Ideal" or "0" by AGS standard. BUT many of these retailers do not actually have GIA/AGS certified diamonds, instead opting for their in-house certification.

So the only difference boils down to the amount of extra cash you pay to any of these vendors, for other perceived value. i.e. nice display layout, a good downtown address next to posh hotels, or good customer service, which when all taken together, may make the diamond shopping experience more enjoyable.

Also, it sounds terribly posh to tell your friends "oh, we got the engagement ring from Tiffany's or Larry's".

Dont get me wrong, their diamonds are well-cut. But my proposition is this, the industrial standard is GIA and AGS certification. In-house certified diamonds may be better cut, but one never knows how it stacks up until it is compared to the rest of the diamonds, and one way of doing that is employing a commonly-understood certification process i.e. GIA, AGS.

BUT the most important thing about this whole diamond shopping process, is where you bring her to buy (some couples actually do it together instead of a surprise, either ways).

She may have her own preference through reading and comparing notes with friends. So all these "technical" discussion may mean very little to her. hehe...But it is always good for the guys to know that beyond the 4Cs, what are the key questions to ask, and you will be well surprised how little retail assistants know about the products they are selling.

:)

song said:
Hi folks from cs,

need to see if Diamond industries is reliable enough for me to buy diamond rings for my gf. Please comment.

Why i question their reliabilty is because their price is so much cheaper than sookee, lee hua and goldheart. For example, a 1 carat diamond ring mounted on 18k ring is only 4.8k at diamond industries but it is about 8k to 10k in other places. the other places also have GIA cert and the grade of the diamond is quite the same, only slightly different.

please help.

song

Song, you may want to read a letter in today's Straits Times page 16 titled "The never-ending diamond sale"

nokin

After all this talk about diamonds and such, you should never forget that what matters most is the love in your heart. That's something no diamond (regardless of size) can represent. In all honesty, if a person needs to buy a diamond ring from Tiffany's, just so the girl will say "yes", then he's got another thing coming.

It doesn't matter what you get now, because you can always buy something bigger/better down the road when the time is right. I bought my fiancee a 0.46ct solitare when we were in Canada. It's a good size for her hand and finger size. She doesn't look like a pimp. Cost me CDN$1.4K. I handed her the certificate, but she didn't even give it a second look. What really stole her heart was that i had saved up from my part-time job in Uni to get the ring.

My advice: Go around to all the shops that you want, with a sensible budget in mind. Look at all the diamond rings that fit your budget, and the right ring will just stand out and you'll know it.
Colour, clarity, yada yada yada are all personal preferences. So they've got a grading system going...so what. As long as the overall look of the diamond looks good to you, then bingo! You've found the rock.

Just wondering. Did you ever see what styles caught her eye when you fellas went out. Surely you must've passed a jewellery shop or two sometime. :)

I wish you luck in your quest for a woman's best friend. :thumbsup:

PLRBEAR said:
After all this talk about diamonds and such, you should never forget that what matters most is the love in your heart. That's something no diamond (regardless of size) can represent. In all honesty, if a person needs to buy a diamond ring from Tiffany's, just so the girl will say "yes", then he's got another thing coming.

It doesn't matter what you get now, because you can always buy something bigger/better down the road when the time is right. I bought my fiancee a 0.46ct solitare when we were in Canada. It's a good size for her hand and finger size. She doesn't look like a pimp. Cost me CDN$1.4K. I handed her the certificate, but she didn't even give it a second look. What really stole her heart was that i had saved up from my part-time job in Uni to get the ring.

My advice: Go around to all the shops that you want, with a sensible budget in mind. Look at all the diamond rings that fit your budget, and the right ring will just stand out and you'll know it.
Colour, clarity, yada yada yada are all personal preferences. So they've got a grading system going...so what. As long as the overall look of the diamond looks good to you, then bingo! You've found the rock.

Just wondering. Did you ever see what styles caught her eye when you fellas went out. Surely you must've passed a jewellery shop or two sometime. :)

I wish you luck in your quest for a woman's best friend. :thumbsup:

got notice...
very bad for money. she actually likes the way tiff and co mount their diamonds. i know i can never afford that. maybe a normal 4 claws set which most resemble will do ....

Status
Not open for further replies.