developing photos with white borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmymy

Sep 14, 2004
CCK
www.flickr.com
anyone tried to add white borders to ur photo and send it for developing?

i tried and it came out incomplete and not what i wanted. below are the dimensions i used:

original size: 2560 x 1920
developing size: 2560 x 1707 (after cropping and adding white borders)

am i correct in the above dimensions? :dunno:

thx in advance for replying. :)

ohmymy said:

i tried and it came out incomplete and not what i wanted. below are the dimensions i used:

No need to add your own white border lar...if you want, you just go there and choose bordered printing can liao...

For the size wise, digital print using ratio 24:32, and there are a few othr ratios (can't remember them all).

However, if you are printing 4R size and you do not want it to be cropped after print, then you should tell the shop that you want a digital 4R print.

The developing size that you did (2560 x 1707) ratio is 23.708:35.556, that hopefully explained why after it printed out, the outcome is not what you expected and desired.

ohmymy said:

you can try using the PS to crop and specified the size 4" X 6" and drag, you'll see which part will be crop out. As most compact DC do not have the ratio of 3:2 like DSLR, that's why there are some part of it is missing. So, always frame more on the top and bottom when you shoot in order to avoid the missing part. :)
Hope this can help, just correct me if I'm wrong. :dunno:

JimDavis said:
No need to add your own white border lar...if you want, you just go there and choose bordered printing can liao...

For the size wise, digital print using ratio 24:32, and there are a few othr ratios (can't remember them all).

However, if you are printing 4R size and you do not want it to be cropped after print, then you should tell the shop that you want a digital 4R print.

The developing size that you did (2560 x 1707) ratio is 23.708:35.556, that hopefully explained why after it printed out, the outcome is not what you expected and desired.

ratio 24:32 is the same as 3:4 right?

i read everywhere that full 4r print is using ratio 2:3. if my original size is 2560 x 1920 (4:3), by cropping to 2560 x 1707 will give me a 3:2 ratio mah.

is there something wrong with my understanding. :dunno:

anyway, went to measure the photo. actual size is 15.2 cm x 10.2 cm, not exactly 3:2 leh. maybe that's why i missed. :(

ohmymy said:

i read everywhere that full 4r print is using ratio 2:3. if my original size is 2560 x 1920 (4:3), by cropping to 2560 x 1707 will give me a 3:2 ratio mah.

anyway, went to measure the photo. actual size is 15.2 cm x 10.2 cm, not exactly 3:2 leh. maybe that's why i missed. :(

The camera 4:3 ratio is similar to PC monitor/lcd screen. To print in photo, the ratio would be 3:2.

I, too, made a mistake when sending to print at those 'tidak apa' photo lab.
I cropped to exactly 3:2 without realising these photo labs use grid to crop the photo again. So the four edges were trimmed by another 1/8"! I voiced that they should have reduce the size of pic to accommodate the print. They just said, sorry we don't do that! :thumbsd: Luckily I only test print 10 pics - $2.50.

So on the safe side, crop your pic with allowance of 1/4" surrounding it.....
Rather have a smaller pic than a partly-cropped one.

ohmymy said:

Dunno leh, but when I developed mine at more established and of course, more expensive one, without needing to crop, they gave me back what I wanted.

According to my understanding, there are different types of 4R print nowadays. You need to specify "DIGITAL 4R", if you told those does not have good knowledge that you want 4R print, they will use normal 4R, which will crop till you heart pain. :mad2:

So far, those printed by Fotohub gave me the best results, though I heard somewhere else there is another lab where professional photographers will bring there, but yet to find out the shop name and exact location. :dunno:

JimDavis said:
Dunno leh, but when I developed mine at more established and of course, more expensive one, without needing to crop, they gave me back what I wanted.

According to my understanding, there are different types of 4R print nowadays. You need to specify "DIGITAL 4R", if you told those does not have good knowledge that you want 4R print, they will use normal 4R, which will crop till you heart pain. :mad2:

So far, those printed by Fotohub gave me the best results, though I heard somewhere else there is another lab where professional photographers will bring there, but yet to find out the shop name and exact location. :dunno:
The one I always went to are KT Image and Triple D (at 30c each), both are using Fuji Frontier machine where they can't select where they wanted to crop, so there will always top and bottom kena crop. If you choose like Fotohub, they are using the Noritsu machine where they can select the area to crop which is much better. But recently those printed by Kodak paper IMO i find it rather dissapointed, maybe is the machine have not been calibrated for sometimes already, that's why the print out is bad. :dunno:

I ever cropped my photos "sui sui" to 4x6 (ie. 2:3 ratio) with white borders and sent them for print. But somehow the borders ALWAYS come out uneven on the 4 sides. I think it is better to crop your pics to 4x6 WITHOUT borders, and ask the photo labs to print with white borders. Don't waste your time making your borders....:)

So, can anyone recommend solid solid lab to develop photo or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.