Destination Lake Kanas, Xinjiang

tonychua

Jan 9, 2005
Will continue to drive from Lanzhou and hopefully arrive Lake Kanas before 10th Sep. My journey start from Chengdu on 12th Aug driving into Aba and now in Lanzhou. I intend to stay a week in Lake Kanas area and would welcome any suggestions on cheap accommodation and what to see around that area. Limited Internet access during the journey so will not response as swift as I can. Thank

Wow, since u got own vehicle, drive up to Bai Haba village! Beautiful!

Hi Nuts,

This is my second trip to Northern Xinjiang but the first time I was with an organized tour group.
Not very sure if I can drive in. I remember that I have to passed thru some security.

i think the area near the kanas lake is quite touristy already,
try trekking to hemu village, can stay in the village too

Good idea Paapoopa but trekking is not for me. I am now in Huatugouzhen (North Qinghai) n i hurt myself this morning while going down the stairs. Thank God that i stayed behind instead of heading North. A furious Sand Storm hit the small town early afternoon. I was told the Sand Storm came from the direction where i am supposed to head for.

wow you are still there, enjoy yourself and stay safe.

by the way, if you dont want to trek there are also horses you can ride on.

Yes, the trek between Kanas and Hemu is quite fabulous, and can be done on horseback.
However, since tonychua hurt himself going down the stairs, then better think twice, esp if he has hurt his back.

Having said that, do try to make it to Hemu & Baihaba when situation permits, cos Sep is prime time!! One of the best autumn scenes around if u hit the peak!!

I am old and heavy weight ... so do not likely to ride a horse. Today drove 350km and now in Rouqiang, Xinqiang.

Spent 8 nights in Hemu and another 4 in Kanas. Bai Ha Pa restricted to foreigner. Now in Altay city.

Thanks for the update. Go, Tony, go !