Darkroom facilities

joashwee

Hey guys, just want to assess the situation. Would you like to have access to a full darkroom facility away from home? I know that SAFRA and some schools have them but they are strictly for members only. Just want to see how many are interested in developing their own films but lack the means to do so. Looking forward to hearing your feedbacks.

yes i am. i do my own development but am interested in Printing.

Hey guys, just want to assess the situation. Would you like to have access to a full darkroom facility away from home? I know that SAFRA and some schools have them but they are strictly for members only. Just want to see how many are interested in developing their own films but lack the means to do so. Looking forward to hearing your feedbacks.

You do not need a darkroom to develop. A dark bag and bathroom will do.

Printing - Now that's another question altogether. :) And a SAFRA membership is great considering the amount of facilities they provide. Its the only thing in Singapore which gives more than what you pay for it :p

I do printing in my own room.

All you need is a dark enough room (with no light leakage), an enlarger (which is kinda cheap if you can find a good second one one) and printing equipment (trays, chemicals and paper). A sink is actually kinda optional, since you could always do the washing of the print after you have finish your darkroom session. A large basin with lots of water to hydrate them before the final wash-off is usually good enough.

It's much harder to develop your own film (tray development*) in the room though. But it could be quite fulfilling to do so. In fact, I just spend a long time sitting in a corner of the room, while occassionally walking over to agitate it, and then return to sit alone in the dark. It's good to be spend time alone though. Rejuvenating. :D

*tray development is not recommended for roll film.