dark spot with D700 - camera defect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS is pretty misleading to say he/she shot these at wider apertures when the exif data shows f/22.. seems like he/she dunno the basics well enuf yet :sweat:

TS, try blowing the sensor first. there's this function in ur menu "Clean sensor manually" whereby the mirror will lock up and the shutter curtain opens, revealing the sensor. mount it on the tripod first, make it point downwards and blow the sensor with a blower. if the spots still appear at f/22 then bring it down to NSC n get it cleaned.

And so many of us concluded that it was dust even with a wrong description. Haha.. Amusing rite?

this is SELF INFLICT what does it got to do with QC? do singaporeans just point the finger and complain everytime?

I doubt it but we do see a bigger majority of singaporeans becmming v.whiny in nature. Why the question anyway?

Maybe I'll bring it to J316 to get them to help, since their service's so good, haha.

As far as I know... J316 do not clean sensors... so your best bet is to send it to NSC to get it cleaned...

And so many of us concluded that it was dust even with a wrong description. Haha.. Amusing rite?

It has to be a dust spot because the 2 pictures do not show the spot the same. If the sensor has a problem with a pixel, then it should show up consistently with every shot the same "darkness" to it.

Also, some of us have seen how dust spots respond so many times that at one look... we know it is a dust spot.

Also, I think TS has changed his initial post (see the 1st post again) from wider aperture to narrower aperture... so that becomes clearer that it is a dust spot.

thanks guys.. tried using a blower and the sensor cleaning function. the spot's still there. looks like a trip to the svc centre

When you clean the sensor, you'll need to do a mirror-up. Also, the image collected on the sensor is inverted, so if the dot is at the top part of your picture, you'll need to blow at the bottom part of the sensor... but blow gently... and make sure your blower does not have more dust to blow onto the sensor :bsmilie:

It has to be a dust spot because the 2 pictures do not show the spot the same. If the sensor has a problem with a pixel, then it should show up consistently with every shot the same "darkness" to it.

Also, some of us have seen how dust spots respond so many times that at one look... we know it is a dust spot.

Also, I think TS has changed his initial post (see the 1st post again) from wider aperture to narrower aperture... so that becomes clearer that it is a dust spot.

Hi gerald, agreed that its clear from the pics that the prob was a dust spot. Its almost a no brainer except that the description does not seem so.
Not trying to be mean but we all want to offer our 2 cents (not just here but in many other subfolders) but many times, we are not cogisant of the prob entirely ourselves. It can only do bad for this forum if we keep offering very personal n myopic opinions...

Haha.. Then again, this is my myopic 2 cents worth. Happy holidays, folks!

Hi gerald, agreed that its clear from the pics that the prob was a dust spot. Its almost a no brainer except that the description does not seem so.
Not trying to be mean but we all want to offer our 2 cents (not just here but in many other subfolders) but many times, we are not cogisant of the prob entirely ourselves. It can only do bad for this forum if we keep offering very personal n myopic opinions...

Haha.. Then again, this is my myopic 2 cents worth. Happy holidays, folks!

I was doing tech support for a number of years and many times, I have found that when a customer describes something, it is not accurate, and they would express it in their own understanding of things and with the vocabulary that they have. Then I'll walk them through to do some tests only to find discrepancies. If I cannot solve it on the phone, I would ask them to send in screen shots, log files, and memory dumps to be analyzed. Like in CSI... we need to look at the evidence :bsmilie:

For this case, the description does not match the pictures, but someone showed the exif info and things became clearer.

Not trying to be mean as well bro... but there are some on the forum whom I would trust their opinions more than others because of the experience they have.

Have a great CNY bro... HUAT ah! :D

Last edited:
I was doing tech support for a number of years and many times, I have found that when a customer describes something, it is not accurate, and they would express it in their own understanding of things and with the vocabulary that they have. Then I'll walk them through to do some tests only to find discrepancies. If I cannot solve it on the phone, I would ask them to send in screen shots, log files, and memory dumps to be analyzed. Like in CSI... we need to look at the evidence :bsmilie:

For this case, the description does not match the pictures, but someone showed the exif info and things became clearer.

Not trying to be mean as well bro... but there are some on the forum whom I would trust their opinions more than others because of the experience they have.

Have a great CNY bro... HUAT ah! :D

Gerald, I share the same sentiments but sadly not all forumers would be able to ascertain the pretenders. Nevertheless, I hope the fraction of knowledgable folks increases in the future. It can only do this forum well.

N u have a great year too!

Regards.

TS, u're using a pro body, D700. and u dont know that it's dust and it's common? sorry. but it's abit LOL. ^^

TS, u're using a pro body, D700. and u dont know that it's dust and it's common? sorry. but it's abit LOL. ^^

I do not think that TS thou using a pro body like D700 must know that's dust on his sensor. He might be someone who bought D700 because he has the money and assume D700 will have better picture quality or recommended by friends. Or he could be a film SLR user who has just converted to DSLR and not very well versed with sensor used in DSLR. In film SLR, there's no sensor, the film is exposed instead.

Just like someone who bought a ferrari must drive like a pro and know everything about the car (e.g. when the steering starts to wobble at high speed)? A qualified personnel will be in a better position to judge the problem. I do not think having money and buying what they like is wrong. We could just give him the benefit of doubt that he could be new to DSLR. :)

Anyway, a forum is for sharing and let's be more forgiving towards each other instead of passing uncalled remarks. In this way, more people will be more willing to come forward to share. Of cos, only the correct information are desired.

Peace.......

I didn't know that John provides sensor cleaning service. :think:

No lah, just saying, since their service's so good, and they're experienced users of DSLRs themselves, maybe they know how to clean? xD
Joking only lah, haha.

Anyway I got rid of my sensor dust! Hoorah!

Just make a visit to NSC & ask them to try to use compress air to blow away. It's FOC anyway unless it cannot be blow away.

I used to have the same problem. :)

used to have a same problem as well. got it removed using sensor cleaning. lucky...;)
in your case, suggest to bring it to NSC for service. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.