Daniel Ong suspended, Sheikh Haikel fired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonlou

Mar 24, 2004
SG
Morning badness
By Sherwin Loh

SHEIKH HAIKEL has been fired from his DJ job at MediaCorp Radio's Perfect 10.

The rapper-actor, who signed a one-year contract with the station in April this year, used to host Perfect 10's Morning Madness show with Daniel Ong. His last day on air was on Aug 6.

HE'S OUT: Sheikh Haikel (left) has been fired. Yesterday, co-host Daniel Ong (right) went on air with Vernon A instead.
He was sacked following a complaint about comments he had made on the show last month.

To a listener seeking advice on how to approach a girl he fancied, Haikel said he should ask her if she was wearing white panties.

A listener complained about this in a letter to the Straits Times Forum Page.

OnTuesday, the Media Development Authority (MDA) said the incident breached the Radio Programme Code. That was also the day he received a letter of termination from MediaCorp Radio.

MDA is still investigating the matter, in which Perfect 10 faces a fine of up to $50,000.

MDA is also following up on another complaint made against the same show. Another listener had written to the Forum Page saying that Morning Madness was filled with 'obscene jokes' and had 'crude comments on sex, sexual organs and sexual behaviour in almost every broadcast'.

Ong hosted the show yesterday morning with another DJ, Vernon A.

But Ong said 'farewell' at the end although he did not give any indication whether it was done in jest.

When contacted, MediaCorp Radio declined to comment on Haikel and Ong.

But in a statement issued though his management agency on Wednesday evening, Haikel, 28, apologised for the incident and asked for another chance to prove himself.

'The remarks passed were meant to be funny and to lighten up the mood of the programme and no disrespect or maliciousness was intended,' he said.

'Being a family man myself, I realise the consequences of pushing a joke too far,' said the rapper, who is married to actress Annabelle Francis, with whom he has a daughter.

When contacted yesterday, he said he was sad that he was asked to leave.

'We had a great show and I loved it a lot. I was shocked it had to happen this way but it was their decision and I respect it.'

PERFECT 10 DJ Daniel Ong has been suspended from on-air duties.

Aside from Daniel's suspension, Sheikh Haikel and Jamie Tan have also been terminated.
Ong, 28, whose last show was on Thursday, could not be reached for comment. When contacted, MediaCorp Radio declined to reveal more details.

Sheikh Haikel, 28, his co-host on the Morning Madness show, was sacked on Tuesday.

Listeners had complained about the show's lewd content to the Straits Times Forum Page. The Media Development Authority is still investigating the matter, in which Perfect 10 faces a fine of up to $50,000.

Another Perfect 10 DJ, Jamie Tan, also had her contract terminated. All three DJs were named in the letters to the Forum Page.

The new Morning Madness host is Vernon A. -- Sherwin Loh

The Straits Times
13/8, 16/8

I was :bigeyes: to hear about all this termination and suspension. i didnt know about this article till my non-listener told me abt it. no wonder vernon a. and grace chua was on air these few days... anyone morning madness listeners here? any comments?

What the.. how come there's so many problem..now it's Ong..

dunnoe leh.... i believe they used to say more crude jokes b4 lor... all i can say its a waste to lose the pair. cos they really can connect to the listeners lor.... jialat man....

Hmm... if what Daniel Ong and Sheik Haikel say on radio was crude, then I think Glenn, Rod and the Flying Dutchman takes the cake. A lot of things they say have sexual connotations hidden beneath, and it's quite obvious. Anyway, people need to loosen up. Jokes are tongue-in-cheek, and these guys are not trying to teach people naughty things.

Someone mentioned about how we do a lot of raunchy things behind closed doors, but in public, we complain they shouldn't say this, shouldn't say that, no sleaze on radio, yada yada... ironic eh?

Yea I agree the 50/1.8 is a fabulous lens too. Nikon i.e.

LimCB said:
Yea I agree the 50/1.8 is a fabulous lens too. Nikon i.e.

?!?!!?!? :sweat:

i dunno... i think people should just switch off if they are offended. i vaguely remember the person who wrote the letter saying that she had no choice 'cos it was in the gym or something like that.

bring your own music then. there's always a choice... no one is force feeding it to you.

very knee jerk reaction. disappointed with mediacorp. but not surprising at the end of the day. where the media is concerned, all it takes is for one person to complain, then we kiss whatever show/programme/host that was the subject of the complaint goodbye.

jonlou said:
Aside from Daniel's suspension, Sheikh Haikel and Jamie Tan have also been terminated.

Wah... they're really serious manz. Terminate ppl some more.

haha... that is one hilarious typo.

Wellz, Singaporeans are after all more conservative. It's the younger gen who's a bit more open. But I do agree that sometimes they do get carried away. Have sometimes heard the show. Sometimes they can really overdo things. If I wanna listen to radio in the morning, I'd go for Chinese stations or Power 98.

wah liao eh... now dunnoe how leh... daniel kenna suspended... skarly he dun return how sia... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.