Dad's ol P&S buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exanimated

Oct 24, 2005
0cc27f65660c27f0dccb89c52bd2419f.jpg

Topcon 40mm
Found it lying around at home in very good condition so decided to take a pic of it.. Still have price tag underneath it :bigeyes: $135 from People's Emporium during the 80s.

People's Emporium - at the end of Geylang Serai there right? Bottom level is supermarket, climb stairs with red carpet, in the middle got huge grand-father clock, then 2nd floor is dept store.

is it still in working condition?
still looks cool

I haven got the chance to try it out yet cos im lacking camera batteries. Need to buy some from photoshop.. damn nostalgic man.. Nowadays seldom do we have people buy cam batteries.. lol

People's Emporium - at the end of Geylang Serai there right? Bottom level is supermarket, climb stairs with red carpet, in the middle got huge grand-father clock, then 2nd floor is dept store.

You're Right! Corner of joo chiat and geylang serai. Dad used to work there :D You must be a regular man.. Even the layout and deco you also remember hhaha

You're Right! Corner of joo chiat and geylang serai. Dad used to work there :D You must be a regular man.. Even the layout and deco you also remember hhaha

The supermarket level...was those small small tiles like 1/2" whitish speckled squares interspersed with black tiles of the same size to for a concentric, squarish larger pattern, then repeat over and over again.

No, I wasn't a hard-core regular ... but for some strange reason, i remember very small details from when I was a very, very young kid. If yu asked me, what was there (the displays, sets, layout of the place) after you reach the 2nd floor ... I can't remember nuts!

Even the stair-case ... I vaguely remember ... it wasn't very wide, slightly steep, only two-flights, back-to-back ... and the grand-father clock ... was the ONLY 'decor' there ... like as if it was chucked there cos no one knew where else to put it ... There MIGHT have been a large, long glass-framed chinese painting or calligraphy hugh up on the wall ... but I'm not sure ...

I do remember, the entrances wer kinda 'wiered' by today's modern lay-out standards ...

Initially, the lower level supermarket was quite pleasant, but later on, it was super crammed and very difficult to walk in between the rows cos there were no proper display shelves. All the 'displays' were actually cartons of foodstuffs piles on top of each other ...

I dun think I can remember anymore details ... except that People's Emporium used to be very popular, till the nearby areas got more develpes and some Japanese company started Singapore's very first 24-hr supermarket ... Yokoso was it???

Last edited:
People's emporium, is different from Emporium mah?

Haha, i going to dig my daddy's Yashica P&S, haha bought from Yahan in the 1970s, i think still got reciept. hehee

Oops, this thread has turn into a nostalgic discussion about Emporium. About the picture, I find it slightly tilted to the right. The lighting is good, it brought the details of the texture on the front of the camera.

The supermarket level...was those small small tiles like 1/2" whitish speckled squares interspersed with black tiles of the same size to for a concentric, squarish larger pattern, then repeat over and over again.

No, I wasn't a hard-core regular ... but for some strange reason, i remember very small details from when I was a very, very young kid. If yu asked me, what was there (the displays, sets, layout of the place) after you reach the 2nd floor ... I can't remember nuts!

Even the stair-case ... I vaguely remember ... it wasn't very wide, slightly steep, only two-flights, back-to-back ... and the grand-father clock ... was the ONLY 'decor' there ... like as if it was chucked there cos no one knew where else to put it ... There MIGHT have been a large, long glass-framed chinese painting or calligraphy hugh up on the wall ... but I'm not sure ...

I do remember, the entrances wer kinda 'wiered' by today's modern lay-out standards ...

Initially, the lower level supermarket was quite pleasant, but later on, it was super crammed and very difficult to walk in between the rows cos there were no proper display shelves. All the 'displays' were actually cartons of foodstuffs piles on top of each other ...

I dun think I can remember anymore details ... except that People's Emporium used to be very popular, till the nearby areas got more develpes and some Japanese company started Singapore's very first 24-hr supermarket ... Yokoso was it???

Yea man it was really popular back then.. you are right on a lot of details! Sad to say, i cant remember the details as well as do you but i do remember the grand father clock and the cramped up ground level.. It was a very nice run down memory lane though ;) thanks dude

Oops, this thread has turn into a nostalgic discussion about Emporium. About the picture, I find it slightly tilted to the right. The lighting is good, it brought the details of the texture on the front of the camera.

Although it was fun, but i have to agree that it did go OOT, haha.. Caught in the excitement.

Anyways, i also visually, it does look slightly tilted to the right, but using the PS ruler, i found that most of the lines, except the top horizon of the camera, are all straight.

Find this quite weird. Is it due to my slight elevated positioning or is it distortion?

Lens used was an old, no pun intended :bsmilie:, 28-105mm at focal 105mm.

Can seem to find any distortion reviews on this lens.

And thanks for your comments Kruger. This is actually a very early try using self made lighting tent and 2 tungsten lights..

Status
Not open for further replies.