DA*16-50mm : A new lease of life with the K-5

Why not? The DA* is a wonderful lens. BUT if you have a budget constrain, can go for the Tamron 17-50 or even the Sigma 17-70, which is a wonderful lens too. i used to own the Sigma and upgraded to the DA*.
Yeah, price I think double compare to tamron, do u think the quality is double too?
Or just bcos DA* hv water resistant feature only?

May i know which flash unit for Pentax DSLR is the most compatible? I've heard some stories of 3rd party equivalents not able to sync the flash at higher ISOs? overexposure problem or sth like that. And just wondering why is the 3rd party Metz flash unit so popular?

not stories...it happen to me but cannot blame anyone i myself chose to use a cheapo oem flash.....just feel funny it work on my Kx fine but not on my Kr....

Yeah, price I think double compare to tamron, do u think the quality is double too?
Or just bcos DA* hv water resistant feature only?

Tamron is good . But DA* is better :)

Adv of Tamron - Cheaper , longer warranty (3yrs)
Adv of DA* - Wider - 16mm , SDM (quiet) , WR and It's Pentax !!!

If got extra cash , Y not. For me , I'm a poor man ... so i go with Tamron . since it's to pair with Kx , not K5....

Tamron is good . But DA* is better :)

Adv of Tamron - Cheaper , longer warranty (3yrs)
Adv of DA* - Wider - 16mm , SDM (quiet) , WR and It's Pentax !!!

If got extra cash , Y not. For me , I'm a poor man ... so i go with Tamron . since it's to pair with Kx , not K5....
Thanks, also poor man, so will start to save first ;p

i would suggest that if u already have your heart set on the 16-50, then just save for it and buy it.

no point trying to save money by getting the tamron, and then re-selling it to upgrade... will lose more money that way.

Tamron 1750 or Pentax DA*1650, both are excellent performers. Just go for one you think you are comfortable to pay for, you won't be disappointed :)

A few photos by the Tamron:

K7FW7219_s.jpg

K7FW7229_s.jpg

K7FW7230_s.jpg

K7FW7170_s.jpg

Have the early reported issues about SDM failure been resolved already?

Have the early reported issues about SDM failure been resolved already?

i don't think it was ever an "issue"... more like scare-mongering...

for added peace of mind, the price of this lens justifies having extended warranty for it... no? ;)

indeed, it looks worth saving up for!

Go for the Tamron first lah. Its good enough. This allows you to have enough money for your next lens upgrade, see if its UWA or telezoom f2.8. If you really want to create that kind of picture which looks and feel different you need to try different prime lens already. (the high quality ones)

Yes Baracus has brought me over to the Dark Side.

And in turn I shall bring others to the Dark Side as well...

Ask Charlie for light side training. He loves his high-key. I ish weak. :bsmilie:

Anyway, K5 + 16-50 still hunts in the dark. Did AF assist work outside of liveview? I forgot...

Last edited:
Ask Charlie for light side training. He loves his high-key. I ish weak. :bsmilie:

Anyway, K5 + 16-50 still hunts in the dark. Did AF assist work outside of liveview? I forgot...

actually, it doesn't... the AF assist lamp works very well and the lens locks focus reasonably quickly (compared to the k-x).

Lol, ok i will turn them into angels if they want to see the light side :angel:

The focus assist lamp is next to useless when the DA*16-50+hood is mounted on the K-5, since it cannot cover 2/3s of the focusing point, including the centerpoint (it will get blocked by the fat lens and the hood).

Its one drawback of a really compact camera body.

One workaround is to zoom the lens out to 50mm, and then only will the assist lamp barely cover the center AF point.

Focusing accuracy tends to go down as it gets darker, but using liveview can counter it to some extent. The very fast liveview AF of the K-5 makes this a practical option.

Go for the Tamron first lah. Its good enough. This allows you to have enough money for your next lens upgrade, see if its UWA or telezoom f2.8. If you really want to create that kind of picture which looks and feel different you need to try different prime lens already. (the high quality ones)

hahahaha tamron 17-50 and tamron 70-200.. super budget f/2.8 combo

The focus assist lamp is next to useless when the DA*16-50+hood is mounted on the K-5, since it cannot cover 2/3s of the focusing point, including the centerpoint (it will get blocked by the fat lens and the hood).

One workaround is to zoom the lens out to 50mm, and then only will the assist lamp barely cover the center AF point.

Focusing accuracy tends to go down as it gets darker, but using liveview can counter it to some extent. The very fast liveview AF of the K-5 makes this a practical option.

then isn't the solution obvious? remove the hood lah :bsmilie:

Do you ever notice that the very good K5 AF becomes 'stupid' on PTTL mode with external flash attached?
On mine, coupled with a flash (Metz48), it becomes K7 type AF. :(

For you problem with the AF assist being blocked, you can get one of those flash sync cables that allow you to mount on top of the sync cable mount so that it sits higher up (ie. above the hot shoe). Doubles up for off camera PTTL controlled flash as well.

Last edited:
I'll remove if its the only choice I got but it doesn't help that much. And if I am strobing there is no way I will remove it as the DA*16-50 has poor flare resistance.

I really like the DA*16-50 but I do wish for people to know its quirks before they drop 1k+ on one.

I'll remove if its the only choice I got but it doesn't help that much. And if I am strobing there is no way I will remove it as the DA*16-50 has poor flare resistance.

I really like the DA*16-50 but I do wish for people to know its quirks before they drop 1k+ on one.

yeah that's fair enough :) no lens is perfect.

Do you ever notice that the very good K5 AF becomes 'stupid' on PTTL mode with external flash attached?
On mine, coupled with a flash (Metz48), it becomes K7 type AF. :(

For you problem with the AF assist being blocked, you can get one of those flash sync cables that allow you to mount on top of the sync cable mount so that it sits higher up (ie. above the hot shoe). Doubles up for off camera PTTL controlled flash as well.

Haven't really shot much with flash+p-ttl, but I have not found af accuracy to be noticeably worse.

Even without moving the flash higher, the flashgun's AF beam won't get blocked by the DA*16-50 as it is much higher up. What I meant was the in body AF beam getting blocked.

Since we have already derailed into af accuracy in p-ttl etc, here is a bit of hope for those suffering from p-ttl problems.

Possible future patch to address P-TTL

Post no.39

"I have just received and email from Pentax UK. Below is what it says and is self explanatory:

"There will be a firmware-update available soon for the K5.
This will solve the issue with the camera not allways communicating properly with the flash.

The firmware will first be published on the English version of the Japanese website:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_digital.html"

So lets's see what happens but I am hopeful.
Cheers."

I do appreciate how Pentax/Hoya has been listening and addressing the issues, at least some of them.