D90 won't save photo into SD card

ch130176

May 4, 2004
Thomson Road
My 9-y-o D90 has stopped saving photos into SD cards. I have tried with 2 or 3 SD cards but the outcome was the same.

Anyone has this experience before? How can I troubleshoot? How much would it cost to get it fixed?

Getting another DSLR is not an option as I no longer determine the budget, but rather the minister of finance of the household.

Thank you for any insights.

My 9-y-o D90 has stopped saving photos into SD cards. I have tried with 2 or 3 SD cards but the outcome was the same.

Anyone has this experience before? How can I troubleshoot? How much would it cost to get it fixed?

Getting another DSLR is not an option as I no longer determine the budget, but rather the minister of finance of the household.

Thank you for any insights.

1. Did you format sd card in camera before use?

2. Is the lock switch at the side of the card in the locked position? Sometimes the slot is tight and the switch gets pushed to "Lock". Only way I know is to tape switch in unlock position.

3. Try cleaning the electrical contacts of the lens and body.

4. If all above fail then send it in for repair. i don't think it's going to cost much?

PS try a Sandisk card I read both Sandisk and Nikon collabarated when D90 was introduced.

Do not edit or delete files on card in PC. Format it in camera, save you problems.Download
only and backup.

Last edited:
1. Did you format sd card in camera before use?

2. Is the lock switch at the side of the card in the locked position? Sometimes the slot is tight and the switch gets pushed to "Lock". Only way I know is to tape switch in unlock position.

3. Try cleaning the electrical contacts of the lens and body.

4. If all above fail then send it in for repair. i don't think it's going to cost much?

PS try a Sandisk card I read both Sandisk and Nikon collabarated when D90 was introduced.

Do not edit or delete files on card in PC. Format it in camera, save you problems.Download
only and backup.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. No, I didn't. Those are the same cards which I used before -- I could still view the existing photos I shot using the same D90 in those cards. I will try format one of those cards.

2. Nope.

3. It will be tricky to clean inside the slot. But since it can still read the files, it may not be due to the contact points.

4. Will have to try that. They charge $20-30 for assessment before they can give a quote on the repair cost.

Thanks for the suggestions.

3. It will be tricky to clean inside the slot. But since it can still read the files, it may not be due to the contact points.

Not the card slot but the lens and camera body.