D90 User Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I got a 3rd party, dunno what kind of card (8Gb), as a freebie for my D90 purchase. I am thinking of getting another 8Gb card, any recommendations?

MS

i got my freebie card 8gb as well . kingston class4.
used it and find it alright for me.
and i went on and bought another kingston 8gb class4 .~ $24-28 iirc .

if want higher transfer speed and $ not a problem to you,
go ahead and get the sandisk extreme III SDHC , u'll not go wrong. :D

Hi,
I got a 3rd party, dunno what kind of card (8Gb), as a freebie for my D90 purchase. I am thinking of getting another 8Gb card, any recommendations?

MS

what do u mean by 3rd party card :dunno: brandless ah, cos as far as i know no such thing as Nikon SDHC card... so that means all cards can be termed as 3rd party.

i mean if they want to earn on those accessory, they might not want to sell u body only...

then maybe add on a 50mm n SB??
when i first asked i told them im looking at the body only price also the same.

i got my freebie card 8gb as well . kingston class4.
used it and find it alright for me.
and i went on and bought another kingston 8gb class4 .~ $24-28 iirc .

if want higher transfer speed and $ not a problem to you,
go ahead and get the sandisk extreme III SDHC , u'll not go wrong. :D

the sandisk extreme III too high end for D90...unless talking about upgrading...
if not Ultra is enough...1 extreme can buy 2 ultra cards

OK, I checked hardwarezone.com, the 8Gb Kingston SD-HC, class 6 is $27 and the Sandisk Ultra II is $26.
Either one of these will do, right?

the sandisk extreme III too high end for D90...unless talking about upgrading...
if not Ultra is enough...1 extreme can buy 2 ultra cards

But if you want your card to write faster, is extreme 3 the better choice? I asked Cathay and they charge 95 bucks for extreme 3 SDHC (30mb/s)... ex...

But if you want your card to write faster, is extreme 3 the better choice? I asked Cathay and they charge 95 bucks for extreme 3 SDHC (30mb/s)... ex...

i've googled around abit and from actual users review, the advantage of the extreme III is noticed when shooting in continous frames (especially in RAW) and when transfering photos from card to computer. basically the Ultra II is good enough for regular usage, at more than half the price really making me think twice on e extreme III though there's always the inside urge to buy the best

I'd recommend getting the ultra.. extreme 3 only benefits when you're into your 3 burst of raw onwards but slows down too..
For the read speeds, the are similar to the ultra for transferring.. can't really feel the difference unless maybe if you're using a firewire card reader..

I'd recommend getting the ultra.. extreme 3 only benefits when you're into your 3 burst of raw onwards but slows down too..
For the read speeds, the are similar to the ultra for transferring.. can't really feel the difference unless maybe if you're using a firewire card reader..

I am currently using Kingston SDHC Class 4 card and when I take photos, it takes a while for the pictures to be written on the card. Shld I go ahead with extreme or ultra?

I am currently using Kingston SDHC Class 4 card and when I take photos, it takes a while for the pictures to be written on the card. Shld I go ahead with extreme or ultra?

Hard to advise without knowing what model you're using and whether you have turned on some in-camera processing features, eg Active D-Lighting, Long Exposure NR, etc, which could slow down the process.

Hard to advise without knowing what model you're using and whether you have turned on some in-camera processing features, eg Active D-Lighting, Long Exposure NR, etc, which could slow down the process.

Oh I am using D90.. for the in-camera processing, i usually try to not use any during the shooting process..

Oh I am using D90.. for the in-camera processing, i usually try to not use any during the shooting process..

I'm using D90 also with Sandisk Ultra II which are class 4 cards as well. I don't have a problem with the writing speed. Active-D Lighting does slow down the writing a bit. Mine is disabled (Off). I think the default setting was Normal.

Bought my 8GB during the last comex for $78. It's not from the authorized distributor and warranty only with Best Bargain. Get it if you want the fastest writing speed currently available.

BTW i think 5 yrs warranty is more than sufficient. Remember the card u bought 5 yrs ago? Do u still use it? :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I just brought a new D90....I would like to check if it is normal to see white/red/green pixel when you zoom in looking at the LCD.

I was taking a picture with the lens cap on, Set to Manual, with 1 sec shutter speed,

Is it what they call a hot/dead pixel....i have about 20 of them...

Hi,

I just brought a new D90....I would like to check if it is normal to see white/red/green pixel when you zoom in looking at the LCD.

I was taking a picture with the lens cap on, Set to Manual, with 1 sec shutter speed,

Do they recur at the same spots?

Hi,

20 dead pixel is too much:nono:, you should send it to NSC for remapping

ultra is good enough...15mb write speed for class 4 cards compare to 20mb for extreme III.
pay more than double for 5mb faster write speed.

ultra is good enough...15mb write speed for class 4 cards compare to 20mb for extreme III.
pay more than double for 5mb faster write speed.

fyi.... latest version of Extreme is 30mb/s so do take note. was at Comex abt to buy the Sandisk extreme then realised it's old version 20mb/s, was abt to buy cos the price was really cheap, around $60.

fyi.... latest version of Extreme is 30mb/s so do take note. was at Comex abt to buy the Sandisk extreme then realised it's old version 20mb/s, was abt to buy cos the price was really cheap, around $60.

ok updated.
$60 can buy but still think of it not needed for a D90.

Just got my D90 body only from Lords - $1380. For anyone who is interested, should still have stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.