D850 timelapse flickering due to exposure inconsistencies

gnohz

Nov 27, 2008
Singapore
www.truphotos.com
Hi all,

I tested out the D850 timelapse capabilities using the "Time-lapse movie" function.

I tried out both "Exposure smoothing" turned off and on. Turning it on obviously makes it better, but there is still a noticeable flickering in this test clip where it was turned on:

I tried out different video resolutions at 60p and 30p with the same results. This flickering was not present in my D810, also with the smoothing turned on.

Other settings:

Silent photography: ON

Interval priority: OFF

Does anyone have similar issues? Or can someone shed some light?

Many thanks!

For comparison's sake, here is one I did with the D810 with essentially the same settings. To my eye, the exposure smoothing effect appears to be smoother and less jarring. Both were shot on Aperture priority mode and Auto-ISO.

I was hoping to minimise hassle (instead of having to do it in post) but perhaps it wouldn't be fair to expect the function would work the same on both cameras.
Any thoughts or insights?

I don't shoot time lapse but looking at both clips reveal there is nothing "wrong" with D850 or the time lapse movie function but perhaps a little
understanding of exposure principles helps. Notice the D810 clip is shot near dusk transiting into night so probably auto exposure is using a longer shutter speed
and larger aperture which is advantageous for time lapse images.The article link recommend slower shutter speeds eg. 1/60th or slower because of mechanical shutter and aperture mechanics. In the D850 clip it is shot on cloudy day,at the start but suddenly the sky opened up, you can see the tell tale shadows on the point block building on the middle right so meter is auto adjusting exposure resulting in "flickering" which is too contrasting to "smooth" out. This link below will shed light on where problems occur.

https://www.diyphotography.net/preventing-time-lapse-flicker-caused-mechanical-inconsistencies/

Preventing flicker usually requires an attack on three fronts:

1. The right in-camera settings to eliminate automatic frame to frame luminance changes
2. Understanding the camera’s mechanical exposure inconsistencies
3. Considering deflickering in post-production

Looks like there is some slight flickering at the start of the D850 test, though hard to compare directly because of the changing light conditions between the 2 clips.

I haven't done timelapse for some time, I did it manually in software previously so can't comment much on which settings would be the best for camera generated timelapse sequences.

There are some masters in the video forum maybe they can give you more specific advice:
https://www.clubsnap.com/forums/art-of-filmmaking.90/

Thank you for the link!
I used the electronic shutter for D850 so by right it should eliminate the aperture inconsistencies. However I have yet to try slowing down the shutter speed. I will do that and see how it turns out.
Thanks a lot!

I don't shoot time lapse but looking at both clips reveal there is nothing "wrong" with D850 or the time lapse movie function but perhaps a little
understanding of exposure principles helps. Notice the D810 clip is shot near dusk transiting into night so probably auto exposure is using a longer shutter speed
and larger aperture which is advantageous for time lapse images.The article link recommend slower shutter speeds eg. 1/60th or slower because of mechanical shutter and aperture mechanics. In the D850 clip it is shot on cloudy day,at the start but suddenly the sky opened up, you can see the tell tale shadows on the point block building on the middle right so meter is auto adjusting exposure resulting in "flickering" which is too contrasting to "smooth" out. This link below will shed light on where problems occur.

https://www.diyphotography.net/preventing-time-lapse-flicker-caused-mechanical-inconsistencies/

Preventing flicker usually requires an attack on three fronts:

1. The right in-camera settings to eliminate automatic frame to frame luminance changes
2. Understanding the camera’s mechanical exposure inconsistencies
3. Considering deflickering in post-production

Thank you for the information and link.
I guess the best way to approach scenes with changing light would be to shoot aperture priority, and do some deflickering in post :)

Looks like there is some slight flickering at the start of the D850 test, though hard to compare directly because of the changing light conditions between the 2 clips.

I haven't done timelapse for some time, I did it manually in software previously so can't comment much on which settings would be the best for camera generated timelapse sequences.

There are some masters in the video forum maybe they can give you more specific advice:
https://www.clubsnap.com/forums/art-of-filmmaking.90/