D800 or 24-70mm

DesmondOng

May 18, 2011
Currently I owned a D90 with 14-24mm f2.8G and 50mm f1.8G lenses. My shooting style mainly are landscape, portrait and general shots. I am going for FX and intend to get both of D800 body and 24-70mm f2.8G lense but only can buy either one of this at a time. And unable to decide which one to go first. I would like to seek for opinion before I go for it.

DesmondOng said:
Currently I owned a D90 with 14-24mm f2.8G and 50mm f1.8G lenses. My shooting style mainly are landscape, portrait and general shots. I am going for FX and intend to get both of D800 body and 24-70mm f2.8G lense but only can buy either one of this at a time. And unable to decide which one to go first. I would like to seek for opinion before I go for it.

Hi, your current the 14-24 can be keep as UWA landscape & 50mm for standard lens as your Street photograph.

Maybe can be decide of the new cheaper version of 24-85mm VR will be release as soon.

Cause if you're hobbies in the landscape shoot I guess you don't mind the f3.5-4.5 VR and getting sharper image on your landscape needed.
If more on portrait you can decide of 85mm f1.8G that's cheapest way to go.

Oops one more thing on D800 had offer on DX crop mode, BTW your 50mm an used on DX crop mode is = 75mm is much suitable on portrait pose.

In my experience most of 24-70 f2.8 user they used more on weddings photograph.

Last edited:
I was thinking of the same thing some time back with the D700 (before D800 was announced).

I'd say get the D800 first for the following reasons:
- You shoot landscapes mostly (like me) and 14-24mm with D800 will gain me more utility than D90 with 24-70mm would. I believe it is the same with you. The resolution increase would be amazing I presume (still on D300s for me)
- 24-70 is bloody heavy. Carrying 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm on a trip is not funny.
- D800 is newly released. Highly unlikely that an upgrade will come out in the next 2-3 years.

The 14-24mm will be awesome on the D800. Get it :)

DesmondOng said:

Get the D800E, keep ur lenses.

Sell ur D90.

Afs 24-70 f2.8g can wait as i believe ur main lens for landscape will be the afs14-24.

Get the D800E, keep ur lenses.
This is poisonous.. :nono:

I just realized this is quite an unfair comparison. D800 -> $4.5k & 24-70mm -> $2.2k?
Its almost twice the price! I could get a 24-70mm + 70-200mm VRI secondhand for the price of a D800.

Last edited:
I think u might want to consider a new 24-70, plus a 2nd hand d700. Fix ur budget and fx dream at the moment. D700 can still be worth some money when u sold it off at a later stage, but seriously i think its sufficient for u unless u need the 36mp or video function.

I do know a lot of ppl who shoot ultra wide like 14-24 on fx, end up not using the 24-70 much. Once u seen the ultra wide view, you might not use to use a mid zoom. So ultimatle ,i sugguest u get a d700, pair up w ur 14-24, then decide if u need 24-70.

A lot of mine friends (working pro photographer) still hanging on to d700 and d3 as their main workhorse camera. So dun throw out this option

Lenses always comes first, body 2nd.

Since you already have 14-24mm f2.8G and 50mm f1.8G lenses in your arsenal, and if you shoot in low lighting often, IMO think of the body first, either a used D3s, D700, D800, or if the pix count is a killer to you, perhaps you may want to wait if there is another FX coming out later? (sure rumours and talks but no confirmation)

I'm in an almost similar situation with you, the 24-70 did improved the images on the D90, but as I constantly shoot in low lights and birding in heavy shades, I had passed on the D90 to my son and got the D7K to play with temporarily, waiting for the dust to settle before considering the D800 (still checking out our local user shots for decision) or hopefully another FX with a lower pixel count by the end of the year.

Last edited:
First buy AFS 24-70mm f2.8, then D800, because new camera prices higher, few months later can be cheaper.

Buy D800 first, you need time to familiar with the body features.....

K S Kong said:
First buy AFS 24-70mm f2.8, then D800, because new camera prices higher, few months later can be cheaper.

True. New product always comes in with higher price. Additionally, D800 is very demanding in availability especially in Asia. So tendency of price mark up is there. I should go for the lense first.

I would go for the body first. The 24-70 is won't give you increased flexibility. You will still probably use your 50 1.8 more due to weight and speed and still reach for your 14-24 for wide. No question, I owned the 24-70 for almost 6 months and never used it on my D7000 bodies as it is BLOODY heavy (or my fast primes offered better low light performance). I have only recently used it for my new D800E and mostly when I am shooting studio work. My lens of choice for general purpose is usually my Sigma 50 F1.4 .

Your money spent here will gain you almost no utility if the lens won't be used. This lens amazing and is one of the few that will won't be out resolved by the D800. However, it takes the D800 to give it it's true potential. The 24-70 range on DX is also not a ideal zoom range for general purpose use... not wide enough (oh yeah, I have to mention again... too freaking big and heavy). I assure you that you will run back to your 50 F1.8 if that's what you have been using for your current work, or the 14-24 which you use for landscapes now.

The D90 is already fairly old tech. If you were on a D7000, there could be an argument for hanging on to that. The D7000 represents an incredible leap over the D90 and my previous D300. I could not believe the advances in ISO performance it gave. In addition, there are 51 focus points and a myriad of other improvements.... The D800E I have now is again another leap...

Buy the latest if you can afford it. Contrary to what others may be saying, the D700 did not drop in price much (or at all) over the 2-3 years that it was out. Only now has the price dropped with the D800 out. You can wait but people who buy the latest and update when the following model comes only loses about 15-25% in resale value. Try holding on to a D700 for another 3 years and see how much people are willing to pay then (or if you can find buyers). I don't see much interest in D200's or D2x's these days. D90's are gonna be hard to sell with D3200 offering so much more performance for so little! If you bought the D90 new... you will be losing a fair bit more in terms of percentage depreciation by the year if you sell it today.

My point in summary... the D800 is going to offer you SO MUCH MORE in terms of gear satisfaction and image delivering performance than the 24-70 will do on your D90 now..... this is with your current lenses. (You may want to upgrade to the 50 1.4 or even the 85 F1.8). The camera you buy won't drop much in price for the next 3 years... You are going to get the 24-70 anyway.... but getting it now isn't going to add much to your fun... getting it later will make you appreciate your D800 more ;) If the camera body is meant to be upgraded and sold in time (as opposed to lenses), isn't it better to get it early in the model's life cycle so it maintains it's value longer?

For me I will go with D800 and keep as 14-24 for landscape and 50mm of my standard lens & get another 85mm f1.8G prime lens or another reason needed zoom and just wait for 24-85 VR.

After sell your D90 and buy for SB-910 you will need it in future.

Cause of the Pro Midrange @ 24-70 f2.8 is not suitable for you to carry all the way.
Even travel or walkabout with street photo.

In the D800 you can get more confident of detailed quality image and bring up your love in photograph.

daredevil123 said:
TS.. wait for the D600...

Yes I agree.... Once you join Nikon an Nikon won't gave you disappointed in future or whole life's...

Even today on the Ai Lenses still works in DSLR.

Last edited:
I would like to add that waiting for a price drop is a fallacy... As the Yen goes up, prices WON'T come down. Yes, initial low stocks may have made prices artificially high. But now that it has stabilized somewhat, you won't see prices coming down or by much. Nikon dealers generally only have between a 10-15% margin on camera bodies. How much do you think they will come down by? In addition, as the Yen goes up (and the D800 is made in Japan too), the price may even go up (as has lens prices in the US).

With a 3 year product cycle before upgrade, each month you don't use this sensor technology while it is new is a cost. You could have used it and be on the top of current technology for that many more months.... imagine paying for the D700 at new prices just before the D800 product release? THen compound it with gear envy :p

Lenses will hold it's value better of course... which is why you can buy that anytime. It may not have dropped much in value but it has not gone up either.

Edit: See here, US Dealer prices for the D800 is US$2700... and sold for $3000
Nikon D800/D800E cost to dealers in the US | Nikon Rumors

Last edited:
Kay Burn Lim said:
I would like to add that waiting for a price drop is a fallacy... As the Yen goes up, prices WON'T come down. Yes, initial low stocks may have made prices artificially high. But now that it has stabilized somewhat, you won't see prices coming down or by much. Nikon dealers generally only have between a 10-15% margin on camera bodies. How much do you think they will come down by? In addition, as the Yen goes up (and the D800 is made in Japan too), the price may even go up (as has lens prices in the US).

With a 3 year product cycle before upgrade, each month you don't use this sensor technology while it is new is a cost. You could have used it and be on the top of current technology for that many more months.... imagine paying for the D700 at new prices just before the D800 product release? THen compound it with gear envy :p

Lenses will hold it's value better of course... which is why you can buy that anytime. It may not have dropped much in value but it has not gone up either.

Actually the D800/E is the Nikon Amazing products of the year...

Like hot cake... You want I also want BBB an until now still not enough to supplier your need in ordered.

Hope the D600 can bring down the line up price.

Last edited:
Actually the D800/E is the Nikon Amazing products of the year...

Like hot cake... You want I also want BBB an until now still not enough to supplier your need in ordered.

I agree... although I got my D800E at a very good price because I pre-ordered even before the model was announced, I won't pay ridiculous markups over RRP prices. Stocks are rolling out in KL and I have heard of D800 units available in Singapore for a 5-10% markup over RRP. The question then becomes if it is worth it I think. I would say yes.... the 3-4 months I spend waiting? I could have been shooting the new model. It also means I have the camera 3-4 months longer before a new model comes out next.... worth the additional $200 I think.

Of course everyone has different situations and financial constraints. If I don't shoot all that often, then yes, waiting is certainly worth doing...... or even consider a D600 which will be MUCH cheaper when released....

Last edited:
DemonicAngelz said:
I was thinking of the same thing some time back with the D700 (before D800 was announced).

I'd say get the D800 first for the following reasons:
- 24-70 is bloody heavy. Carrying 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm on a trip is not funny.
- D800 is newly released. Highly unlikely that an upgrade will come out in the next 2-3 years.

The 14-24mm will be awesome on the D800. Get it :)

Agreed. Weight for me i still able to accept it for 14-24 n 24-70 during travel. However, for 70-200mm is impractical to carry travel in my opinion.